🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, I'm a die-hard Tesoro Tejon fan, and you should be able to find a used one in that price range. But I'm not a coin-shooter so I think there are better machines for that. If you, like me, are a RELIC hunter, the Tejon is an excellent, deep-probing machine in that price range. It loves iron, and has no display. You have to learn to listen . . . but I love it.

OP
OP
aaron.cieply

aaron.cieply

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm a die-hard Tesoro Tejon fan, and you should be able to find a used one in that price range. But I'm not a coin-shooter so I think there are better machines for that. If you, like me, are a RELIC hunter, the Tejon is an excellent, deep-probing machine in that price range. It loves iron, and has no display. You have to learn to listen . . . but I love it.
Thanks! But yes I love coins. Im specifically interested in getting down to the deeper coins.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a used water detector and get a bigger used coil for the Ace 250

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Silver uMax; Cibola; Vaquero - with the 11" x 8" Widescan Coil

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Garrett ATPro. It will fit your budget, definitely find things the ACE missed, goes deep, is good in iron/junk areas, AND will be an easy transition the ACE.

I used an old Garrett Gtax for my first year, then upgraded to the ATPro and used it for four years until I got my Deus in 2015. The ATPro is really good "bang for your buck", you'll be amazed by the things you find, and by how much better the depth will be than the ACE. It's also waterproof which is nice.

The "standard" mode is much like the ACE 250, but when you switch to Pro Mode it's a whole new ball game. Stick to Pro Mode, use very little discrim, learn how to use the Iron Audio feature and you will be pleased.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XP all the way, but not in your budget yet, so can't add much.

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been wanting to get another machine too. You should check out Notka ForsCoRe. or Velox1 & Teknetics T2 classic. Those are the 3 Im seriously considering and down to. The velox1 and T2 you can get new for $500. The ForesCoRe you need to scrape up another 100$.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cash in all of your clad, call in a few favors, kiss the bosses arse, and purchase either a used F75 or XP. You won't need another machine, ever.

Mell0w Sl0w

Sep 7, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
whites coinmaster pro, whites bulls eye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got the AT pro with the 5x8 DD coil in December and already clocked about 50hrs on it .....I am loving life compared to my whites coinmaster pro, and continuing to more and more everyday as I get better with the machine. The AT pro is a chatty machine, but if you learn to speak it's language it will pay off greatly.

it was a hard choice for me between the fisher F75 and the at pro but it really came down to the at pro being fully submergible and the f75 not......I have got a lot of swimming holes I want to be hitting when the weather gets warmer:thumbsup:

while other machines seemed to be superior to the at pro in some areas, it really is the most versatile for the money.

a certain part of me didn't want to buy the AT just because it seemed to be the "cool" metal detector to buy. The bandwagon metal detector for the detectorist who really does not even know what he wants out of a metal detector. It is viewed as the "go to " detector for the newb who watched a few episodes of diggers and bought it without a thought as to what machine would actually best suit him.

so I spent months, exhaustively researching every machine I could find that was under $1000 and came right around full circle back to the AT pro. that is what I suggest to the original poster.....take your time, research machines, decide on what it is you aim to accomplish and what kind of terrain or soil type you will be hunting in, and decide on what will really be the best machine for YOU.

in the end you gotta realize that buying it because it is cool is just as dumb as not buying it because it's cool. if I get heckled a bit for having it by people I run into who are not aware of the tedious process underwent on me deciding on it....I could really care less. You are gonna spend a lot of time with whatever detector you buy....I really suggest doing everything you can to pick the RIGHT one for YOU

I think you will find ( as I did) that the search function on the site will be a valuable tool in getting specific information about any detector, as just about any basic question you could have concerning a particular machine, has already been discussed again and again.

you can even go so far as to PM people on the forum who you see are using a particular machine you are interested in, that's what I did.

most importantly.......have fun and get out there and dig:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy the T2 Classic or a used F75.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A minelab exterra 705 gold is what I upgraded to. Has a beach mode and prospecting mode as well as a mode for coins and jewelry. Great all around machine. You can find them used in your price range.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check local pawn shops and thrift stores. I picked up a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax for $40, older machine I know, but I got 300% return on my investment in clad alone this year. That does not include the 10K gold and diamond ring, 14K gold, diamond and sapphire ring, or the 14K gold bracelet. You might find a super bargain somewhere.

Last edited:

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the money you are talking, I'd definitely suggest an AT Pro. The AT Pro is a great all around machine. Lots of nice upgrades available and its waterproof for those nasty days out digging

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahab8

T2 Classic Cause of the price ?
or IYO Better than the T2SE.

T2 Classic for the price, the T2SE gives you boost and handles EMI better if it is one of the newer models.

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go ATP, as stated above. To Skippy SH13: The 5x8DD is really good in trashy areas. It also has really good depth for the size. but yeah, if you are hunting fields, etc. - that would be unreasonable.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab8

T2 Classic Cause of the price ?
or IYO Better than the T2SE.

Strictly for price. If the SE was in the budget I would highly recommend that

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been using the atpro for three years now and have been very happy with it. I have been considering upgrading also. I've invited several people to come behind me on some of my sites to see if I was missing anything, using a whites, T2, ctx 3030 and Fisher but none really showed me anything worth switching. Still want to see the Deus in action but haven't yet. I used a garret 350 briefly before buying the atpro and it was an easy transition to the pro. For the money the atpro is hard to beat, imho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions