All Treasure Hunting

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually looking at the Garrett! I will check out the Whites TRX too! Thanks for the advice!

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was actually looking at the Garrett! I will check out the Whites TRX too! Thanks for the advice!
Go with the Garrett. My TRX seems to have a bad falsing problem. I've heard others are experiencing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea as a newbie I learned that one the hard way! I picked up a second metal detector instead of a good pinpointer and I am constantly having to stand or awkwardy swing the metal detector over the whole. Any suggestions on a good pinpointer?
Noob to noob. GET A PINPOINTER!!! I got Garrett Pro Pointer AT and have not had any falsing issues. The sound on mine has quit though.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noob to noob. GET A PINPOINTER!!! I got Garrett Pro Pointer AT and have not had any falsing issues. The sound on mine has quit though.
Yeah, I could handle the no sound issue as long as it still vibrated, especially with headphones on. The falsing issue though... ughh.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered the Garret AT pro. The orange one!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Believe me it will take over 100 hours t get proficient with it. I am darn good with mine and wanted to trash it the 1st 30 hours.

Read everything you can and look at as many UTube videos as you can. The more you read and see the more you will learn. You also need to experiment with your settings...

After you really learn it you will find out how little others know about an ATP including the videos..

Believe me I can find a penny in a scrap yard with mine. Yes I actually hunted a salvage yard of old cars thinking lots of coins would fall out from them.. I found about 50 cents

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160325_204402.jpg The new pinpointer got here today. Works great! It rained here yesterday quite a bit, all morning in fact then snowed in the afternoon. After dinner I took it out and went to a previous dig where I left a coin behind. I didn't didn't know that it was a coin for sure but it was the same hole that I pulled two coins from last Sunday. That makes for a total of three coins from one hole. the metal detector kept hitting that there was more metal in the hole but I could not seem to locate it with the pin point feature on the detector. There was a lot of standing water and mud but the Garret Pinpointer worked awesome. I located the penny within a matter of minutes!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Sweep with the coil parallel to the ground. I see a lot of people with a pendulum swing, and that is not good.

Find your detectors sweep speed and make sure that you maintain it as best you can.

Clean out your coil cover from time to time. Dirt can get in there and mess with readings.

Get a decent pair of headphones, and learn to detect with your ears. Do not look at the screen to determine good targets, go by sound.

Dig all targets until you feel that you have a grip on your machines language.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread