Tips for a noob

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my first metal detector this week. I am going to take it out tomorrow to try it out. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers. Sorry is this topic has already been discussed. I got a Garrett AT Pro if that helps with advice.

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DIG all numbers that dont bounce more than 2-3 digits up or down. You'll learn as you go. Soon you'll find out what not to dig and what to dig. Oh If you get a target that jumps from high 70s, to high 80s and sounds solid. Dig it, chances are it is a silver ring.

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I will try to remember this. I am going to try to dig everything that reads solid. Just to learn.

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be patient with your progress. Everything takes time to be proficient, whether it be md'ing, ice skating, fishing...don't get frustrated if you don't pull what you want (silver, relics, etc) right away. The at pro is a fantastic tool (you may never want another detector) but like any tool it takes a certain amount of time to become proficient and much more time than that to 'master'. And like anything else, the more you practice the faster you will become better.

I ran the at pro for my first few months of detecting and did fairly well i.m.o. in a challenging environment (urban areas...lots of trash...lots of other detectorists). My advice, under most circumstances, is to run pro mode, full sensitivity, zero discrim. That way your brain will get as much information as possible, and the neural connections in your brain that will end up forming your proficiency will develop faster. Just like a baby: the more you talk to it the faster it will learn a language / the more you let your detector say to you the faster you will learn its language.

Edit: also, research the crap out of your area. Maps, historic aerials, library materials, the old dude who knows all kinds of facts about the town. Beyond the obvious that knowing the history of your area will increase your chances of success, it may also lead to you becoming more hungry for digging up coins and relics of said history. also, being able to speak intelligently about my areas history has lead to some promising permissions. The property owners were intrigued about what I told them about their local history and were also convinced that I was legit and not some d-bag just wanting to score some treasure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the advice. I was planning on running the pro on standard mode for a little while until I got the hang of it. I understand what you mean about letting my brain get as much info as possible too. I may try both just to see and learn the differences in my machine and my skill. I like what you said about learning the area. I have been finding old towns and houses as a hobby for a while. I do a lot of research on the history of places already. However, I never connected that to getting permissions somewhere. That tip may become very helpful.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Read your owner's manual and make a coin & trash garden & practice. Aluminum can slaw depending on size - pull tabs - square tabs and rusty nails will register as coins and give off good tones - you will learn the more you use it. I run mine in pro zero mode - sensitivity max out when possible and iron disc about 30 to try to get past the rusty nails - deepest coin a quarter at 9.5". I have experience EMI around fluorescence lighting in a park. ATP is a good machine & wish you many great finds.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
ATP will find the good stuff. I had one, and found my first silver coins with it.

A test garden is a good idea. Plant coins at different depths, and don't forget to make it "real", by adding a pull tab and/or nail to a couple of the holes. Easy targets are a good thing, but account for less than half of the keepers. Over half of my good targets have trash in the hole... fancy people call it a "co-located target". Once you start learning the subtle differences of signals in Pro Zero, you will be off and finding!

The only other thing I can say is to have fun... I am bit "high strung" and will ruin my own fun, if given the chance. Enjoy yourself and best of luck to you!

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One issue I have with the iron disc is that I also want to find relics. I live in a area rich in Civil War history. If I turn up the iron disc will I still be able to find these type of things? Or will that come with practice and knowing what setting to put iron disc on? Is it possible to find bullets but not nails?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Bullets are lead, nails are iron. The bullets should be much higher than nails... and yes, you can find bullets and discriminate the iron out.

Good relics (good targets in general) are not iron, they are lead, copper, brass or silver... which are all higher tones (and numbers), iron tends to be corroded nails and other junk.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One issue I have with the iron disc is that I also want to find relics. I live in a area rich in Civil War history. If I turn up the iron disc will I still be able to find these type of things? Or will that come with practice and knowing what setting to put iron disc on? Is it possible to find bullets but not nails?

You can turn iron disc up to 22, or 25. This way it gets rid of most rusty nails, and what ever in that shape.. Im pretty sure your CW cannon ball will still ring up...

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I went out today and had a blast. I got a little discourage for a bit and then got to having fun. I ran the At Pro on standard zero for most of the day and then switched back and forth between the settings. I used custom Pro setting quite a bit. I did not did near all the targets I got. I didn't realize how target rich the environment was. This being said nothing really stood out. I noticed nails are about a 30. I dug several of these. My first find though was a old pop/beer tab. I thought I had something good. I did play with iron disc a little bit but didn't want to much because I wanted to see what each thing was. Most excitement I had was turning on Pro Coin setting towards the end of my day and hitting strong 75. I dug up what looked like a small rock but hit 75 hard on the detector. I cleaned it up a bit and was a silverish shiny metal. I ended up getting 4 of these metal rocks. They all were about 2" down and all had a 75 reading underground and 80-84 in hand. I don't know what they are but hell I was excited. Best part of the day was showing my Momma my new toy and going out in her yard. She found a penny, piece of chicken wire, and a 8" tin disk. She is now hooked too.

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post pics of the rocks. Maybe we can help you figure it out. On the "reply" or "quick Reply" menu (just above the text), you'll see a little picture two icons to the left of the text bubble on the far right. Click it, and upload your photo there.

Cheers,

Skippy

I will try to post some pics if you all would like. I later learned that there was a fire on the the property. I am starting to think they are melted zinc or pot metal.

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I do anything, does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning them or should I cut one to see the metal inside. I soaked them in baking soda and vinegar last night. This got some of the crud off but still dirt colored.

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0222161404.jpg 0222161405.jpg 0223161034.jpg 0223161034a.jpg 0223161035.jpg

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out a little yesterday and a in the yard again today. I am getting a lot of chatter just about everywhere I go. One spot in particular was really bad. I only dug a few places because I was getting constant iron tones. I ground balance everywhere I go and even mid way through my site. I don't really think we have a high mineral soil here in SW MO. I wasn't under powerlines. Was I just in a really trashy site or what could be going on. Like I said I didn't dig much because nothing was consistent.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try to manual ground balance and take it down a notch or two. You won't even begin to know your detector until you have at least 100 hours on it. For the most part there aren't any good signals under 40, possibly small gold or small jewelry 40 or under but after you know your detector and learn every sound it makes will it make sense to dig 40 and under signals. Turn down your sensitivity as well. I always run a notch or two below maximum sensitivity unless in an open field where i need it.

Stick with stock programs until you know your detector. I have found over $3000 with mine in 3 yrs and 25+ rings and jewelry

Like the one man said get a pro pointer and a 5x8 coil and you will see a bid difference in what you find

What you have in the pic is most likely lead. If it melts easy with a plumbing torch it is either lead or zinc.

OP
OP
E

ErGarber

Feb 17, 2016
Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to manual ground balance and take it down a notch or two. You won't even begin to know your detector until you have at least 100 hours on it. For the most part there aren't any good signals under 40, possibly small gold or small jewelry 40 or under but after you know your detector and learn every sound it makes will it make sense to dig 40 and under signals. Turn down your sensitivity as well. I always run a notch or two below maximum sensitivity unless in an open field where i need it.

Stick with stock programs until you know your detector. I have found over $3000 with mine in 3 yrs and 25+ rings and jewelry

Like the one man said get a pro pointer and a 5x8 coil and you will see a bid difference in what you find

What you have in the pic is most likely lead. If it melts easy with a plumbing torch it is either lead or zinc.

I have the pro pointer and 5x8 coil. The reason the I don't think those are lead is because they are light. I know what lead is. I work at a gun range and mine lead at other ranges part time. I put it under a torch for several minute. It did not melt and after being cherry red, under 5 minutes later I held it in my bare hand.

Thank you for the tips on the detector. I went out today for several hours. Seems like all I could find was aluminium cans and pieces of cans. I did find an awesome copper oil lamp top. The ol AT Pro when nuts when it hit that.

I ran most of the day in Pro Coins setting and still had tones all day long. It was rare if I got a few minutes of no tone. Could this be my settings I had iron disc on 35. I hear a lot of people say did every signal but I would spend years digging what I heard today.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea as a newbie I learned that one the hard way! I picked up a second metal detector instead of a good pinpointer and I am constantly having to stand or awkwardy swing the metal detector over the whole. Any suggestions on a good pinpointer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread