which metal detector for gold coins

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello my friends and brothers i am from pakistan kpk.i am doing tresure hunt with my friend we search for tresure in old people, ruins.mean hundreds and some where thousand years ago a nature power camed and destroyed old population we search dig that we found many coins but value less .so i come to my question what is best metal detector for gold coins? thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Do you mean individual gold coins ? Or do you mean caches of coins?

If you meant individual gold coins, then any coin/relic machine will do. Eg.: Explorer, cz6, or oodles of types.

Because contrary to popular myth, gold coins are not low conductors. They are mid conductors. Unless you were talking hammered thin little ones. But even then : just turn down your disc, & any machine can find targets down to foil.

If you are finding other coins, yet no gold ones so far, that is probably not a reflection on the machine. It's just a reflection on the demographics of distribution. They're simply encountered less frequently.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello my friends and brothers i am from pakistan kpk.i am doing tresure hunt with my friend we search for tresure in old people, ruins.mean hundreds and some where thousand years ago a nature power camed and destroyed old population we search dig that we found many coins but value less .so i come to my question what is best metal detector for gold coins? thanks in advance
Any metal detector will see gold coins......

Welcome to TreasureNet....

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what the ratio is on coins to gold coins .I have found around 400 old coins around 80 are made from silver and i still havent found a gold coin...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Not sure what the ratio is in Pakistan. But in the USA, persons will go their entire careers and get only one if they are lucky. And that's no reflection on the machine or the settings. That's with guys digging all Targets with excellent machines at excellent rellicky old-coin-producing sites.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Treasure Net!
Get yourself a metal detector that has different TONES that are available to help,
along with all the other info. that your detector gives you, helps determine what kind of metal
you're digging. Example: Ferrous and Non-Ferrous

Like all other metals, GOLD likes to talk her own language, sounding SOFT and SWEET...!
Soft, because the metal is soft, and not sharp, but sweet...! :thumbsup:
...a very pronouced sound from most others and a signal i.d. that's likely be in the mid-range - just the bigger the object,
the bigger the sound.

So, get headphones, and listen and learn from your machine...!
And, guess what it is, and how deep, BEFORE you dig it up - experience, determination/perseverance = TREASURE!

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for reply.i know all metaldetectors works on gold coin but i am asking what metal detector detet gold coin much deeper minelab GPZ 7000 or garrett ace ATX my friend have garret ace 150 we do meteldetecting with that detector but its not good at gold.here gold are burruied but deeper here a man was found mud pot full of gold and silver coin other man was found small horse made of gold

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
junaidkhank06, to analyze your reply point by point:

... here gold are burruied but deeper here a man was found mud pot full of gold and silver coin other man was found small horse made of gold

Uh, "mud pot" and "horse statue" make me think your original post was referring to large objects. And not singular coin hunting, right ? Ok then, ditch BOTH those machines you list, and simply get yourself a 2-box detector like the Whites TM 808. You will not be bothered with any items smaller than a soda-can sized. Hence the perfect discriminator to pesky single coins, nails, pulltabs, etc.... They simply don't see any objects that small. Yet does great for box sized objects at depth.

.... i am asking what metal detector detet gold coin much deeper minelab GPZ 7000 or garrett ace ATX my friend have garret ace 150 ...

You do NOT want to use the GPZ 7000 for relic/cache hunting. It's a nugget machine. You will be driven bonkers by every last staple, pinhead, nail, straight-pin, etc.... And to the extent that , yes, it will get box sized objects super deep, yet you will spend forever and a day trying to discern big versus little, and chasing a million things you don't want. A 2-box unit will also get boxes very deep, and you don't get bothered with non-cache sized items.

.... we do meteldetecting with that detector but its not good at gold.

All those detectors will do "good at gold", depending on what you mean. Ie.: nuggets (no, the 150 is not for nuggets), or teensy jewelry , or individual coins, or caches, etc... The 150 is a starter beginner machine. So when you say "not good at gold", well it's going to be bottom of it's class on every other avenue (silver, copper, TID, mineral-ability, etc...) too. But when it comes one-target versus another, no, it's no worse on gold, than it is on silver GIVEN ITS INTENDED MARKET AND PRICE RANGE. I bet the 150 will do *just fine* if a box of gold is a foot or two deep, and you were using it right :)

Get a TM 808 if you're looking for caches. And unless you're looking for nuggets, skip the GPZ.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPX 4500 or GPZ 7000 are deepest I know of on individual pieces. As Tom mentioned a 2 box for caches

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500 or GPZ 7000 are deepest I know of on individual pieces. ....

"On individual pieces", well, sure, one of the high-powered pulse nugget machines can get a quarter or nickel to nearly 2 ft. deep, if I'm not mistaken. Contrast to the "mere" 1 ft. (or nearly 1.5 with a Sov./wot, or a ctx w/18" coil). Thus sure, you add MANY more inches, if you try to coin-hunt with said-minelab nugget machines.

But a person would go crazy trying to use one to coin-hunt. I'd hate to be the person who tries to use one of those around any set of ruins, foundations, inner-city place, etc...

A buddy and I tried using a 4500 to loose for police evidence (a spent bullet tip) at a crime scene near a house. The house only dated to the 1960s. But I was AMAZED at how much metal is in the ground, even at supposedly "clean" places. Every pinhead, staple, fleck, etc... was ringing the bells of Notre Dame. Doh! So there are places where a few more inches do not outweigh the downsides. Ouch.

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for your replies i want metal detector which detect caches of coins,individual gold coins and gold statues(human horse or other.in super dept

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... i want metal detector which detect caches of coins,individual gold coins and gold statues(human horse or other.in super dept

Any detector that will excel at caches, will not be good at individual coins. And any machine that excels at individual coins, will have weaknesses at cache hunting.

Sounds like you need 2 different machines. And for the cache-category, get a TM 808. For the individual coin category: that's an endless Ford vs Chevy debate :)

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tm-808 website says its for large deep objects.ok what metal detector is best for small deep gold coin?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post said "mud pot full of gold coin". That is considered one large metal object. For individual coins the GPX 4500, GPZ 7000 or maybe a CTX 3030 (most user friendly option).

OP
OP
J

junaidkhank06

Apr 14, 2016
malakand,kpk
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for reply now you gaved complete answer .ok he said tm808 is good for large deep object here garrett and minelab detector is availible and i like both brands too.so what is best metal detector for large deep gold objects? i know in white,s tm-808 but asking in garret or minelab

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
What is your preference for land in this category? And your preference for beach in both categories?

I am using a Minelab Explorer II for both beach and land. It's become my "go-to" machine for all terrains of coin/relic hunting. Whether beach or land. Naturally I have to wrap it in plastic and black-tape for if I'm intending to go out in beach erosion storms (if I fear getting slapped by waves, or rained on).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread