Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Target ID becomes a moot point with targets that size. Example: wave your best TID detector in front of a microwave oven. Or big metal tool box. See what it reads. Now put a bunch of coins inside the microwave or Tool Box. Notice that it makes no difference in the resulting signal.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Targets like that cause my detector(s) to indicate an overload. I get very different audio for that one.

So, thinking it could be a treasure chest, I dug and found a large boat anchor, a car hood, a car axle, some massive hunk of rusted metal...

The last one I didn't dig up. That was probably the treasure chest... I pretty sure of it now.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with G.I.B.. If you have a decent detector, you,d probably be able to know the size of it, and if it is something unusually big, dig. I've gone over large pieces of iron with my atp, and gotten signals from 17 to 90, which if a detector could read what was inside a chest, I'd probably get the same 17 to 90. If it's big, I just dig. I've never found one, but I would guess cache's probably give off multiple signals too.

OP
OP
cuzimloony

cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome guys. Obviously this is kinda new to me so Im here trying to learn. Thank you!!
Now can you tell me where there are strongboxes full of gold and coins too??
:)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Now can you tell me where there are strongboxes full of gold and coins too??
:)

I saw some here yesterday. Lot's of silver coins as well.

IMG_6489.jpg

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ohh, and when you DO find that strong box full of gold coins. Keep your mouth shut. Sell off a little at a time. If asked, they were family keepsakes.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember burying a large box of gold and silver somewhere in my garden space. If you want to come over and dig up my whole garden , we will split the take.....

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep I have that garden spot that needs dug too and I think the knights Templar used to frequent this area.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say Im metal detecting and I come across an iron strongbox full of gold and coins. Does my detector only read the iron of the box? Does all the metal in close proximity essentially turn the box into a super conductor making my detector scream? What does my detector read?
Oh, your detector will scream all right! I suspect it will read overload or at least be in the iron range regardless of contents. Maybe if the contents were fused/welded to the iron box, the reading might be different, reflecting the metal of the contents. Otherwise, how do we accept why a zinc cent reads differently than the earlier copper cents? They both have copper on the outside of the coin, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions