Public Land in Florida - where is it legal?

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, so here in St Augustine it's ILLEGAL to metal detect on any public land without written permission from the City Manager (and I really doubt he'll grant any metal detecting unless it's for something really specific and beneficial to the city).

So my question - what cities allow public land metal detecting? I want to walk into the woods somewhere with a metal detector like I used to with my father when I was a kid. Where can I do this?

Any areas around st augustine? Palatka? Jacksonville? Can't seem to find any info on this for public land, just for beaches. Or is it ONLY allowed on public beaches nowadays?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Question: Where did this information come from, that a this particular city you have to have "written permission from the city manager" ?

As for other spots you mention, that you "can't seem to find any info on", does that mean you can't find those entity's rules/laws ? Or that you found them, yet saw no mention of "metal detecting" (ie.: silent on the subject) ?

EMT, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me you're looking for "express allowances" (as if there should be a sign or a law that says "metal detecting allowed here". And in the absence of that, or without someone's express "yes you may", you will not proceed forward. But why does it need to be that way ? I mean, would you have this stance if you were wondering if you could fly a kite ? On the contrary, you would assume you CAN fly a kite, unless there were a specific ordinance that said 'no kite-flying'. So why do you keep wondering?

Just go hunt the land spots you have in mind. Unless a) it's an obvious historic sensitive monument, or b) unless there's a sign that said "no md'ing". I mean, we're talking innocuous green belts, regular run-of-mill city parks or countrysides, etc... We're not talking national parks, etc... right ? Me thinks you're over-thinking all of this.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend that owned an old mansion in Palatka. I hunted all around the town a few years ago and nobody said boo about it. Cops drove by, people walking their dogs, homeowners out in their yards, and all I got was waves.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... and all I got was waves.

You must not have asked the right people "can I ?" haha

I too can think of places (parks, beaches, etc...) that have been detected since time-immortal, with no problems or issues. But I bet I could probably go find someone to tell us all "no", if I asked the right persons, with the right way of phrasing.

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem I'm having is that I'm having a hard time finding ANYTHING in Florida statues pertaining to MD'ing. Especially for NW Florida in Escambia and Santa Rosa counties (in and around the Pensacola area).

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question: Where did this information come from, that a this particular city you have to have "written permission from the city manager" ?

As for other spots you mention, that you "can't seem to find any info on", does that mean you can't find those entity's rules/laws ? Or that you found them, yet saw no mention of "metal detecting" (ie.: silent on the subject) ?

EMT, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me you're looking for "express allowances" (as if there should be a sign or a law that says "metal detecting allowed here". And in the absence of that, or without someone's express "yes you may", you will not proceed forward. But why does it need to be that way ? I mean, would you have this stance if you were wondering if you could fly a kite ? On the contrary, you would assume you CAN fly a kite, unless there were a specific ordinance that said 'no kite-flying'. So why do you keep wondering?

Just go hunt the land spots you have in mind. Unless a) it's an obvious historic sensitive monument, or b) unless there's a sign that said "no md'ing". I mean, we're talking innocuous green belts, regular run-of-mill city parks or countrysides, etc... We're not talking national parks, etc... right ? Me thinks you're over-thinking all of this.

This is pretty much the approach I have been taking so far.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The problem I'm having is that I'm having a hard time finding ANYTHING in Florida statues pertaining to MD'ing. ...

Why is that a bad thing, or a "problem" ? :) If there is nothing on the subject in the law (ie.: silent on the subject), then presto: It's not prohibited.

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why is that a bad thing, or a "problem" ? :) If there is nothing on the subject in the law (ie.: silent on the subject), then presto: It's not prohibited.

That's the issue, I have no idea if I am looking in the right place or not. I went to all the local government websites but I'm just not sure if I'm looking in the right place. So far I have been chalking it up to them not having anything on the books about MD'ing but I would hate to find out the hard way that I was wrong.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
That's the issue, I have no idea if I am looking in the right place or not. I went to all the local government websites but I'm just not sure if I'm looking in the right place. So far I have been chalking it up to them not having anything on the books about MD'ing but I would hate to find out the hard way that I was wrong.

Here's a thought that would pass the "common sense reasonable-man logic test" :

You say you've successfully found the govt. websites that have their rules/laws (pertaining to wherever you have in mind). Right ? Now look to see if you see any OTHER type rules/laws of use. Eg.: no dogs allowed, no fireworks, permit required for motorized boats, closes at sunset, etc... etc.....

If you see OTHER SUCH rules listed, then that would tell me you've successfully found the rules-of-use, for the location you have in mind . Versus, as you fear: Not having successfully found it.

I might be concerned if you were only reading the wooden sign at the park. Then sure: It's possible you're looking at a cryptic version, where a more expanded version exists at the park dept or city hall. But that's not what we're talking about here. You can worry yourself silly , but at what point would you be rest-assured that there's nothing that says "no md'ing" ? Any list you could be shown, you could continue to worry "what if there's a list somewhere else that's more complete and forbids it?" Me thinks you're over-thinking this. You've done your homework diligently. Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dont detect inland state parks, don't hunt national seashores, stay out of the water on the Treasure coast between Sebastian Inlet and Vero Beach, now proceed to hunt......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Dont detect inland state parks,.....

and by that TH'er is referring to state-administered parks. Not "all parks" in the state of Florida.

In other words, not all parks are "state" parks. Other examples are city parks, county parks, etc... Those would not be "state" parks.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found what I always hope to find.....nothing about detecting at all. If it isn't prohibited, it's allowed. Just use some discretion and good recovery practices. :thumbsup:

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
I hate to rain on everyone's parade here, but I have to speak up. I'm not trying to be negative, I just hate seeing someone get a ticket for breaking the law. First, I'll say what the law will say...negligence of the law is no excuse. Meaning, just because you don't know of a particular law doesn't mean it won't be enforced or you won't get a ticket. There is a post somewhere on these forums which has a link to Federal and State laws, and if I find it, I'll throw the link on here. I would go, or call, your local City Hall, local Parks Department, local Police Department and ask your question to them. Another option, find a local MDing club or local MDing shop and ask them. Trust me, you don't want to get slapped with a ticket or antiquities infraction; they may even take your equipment along with giving a ticket.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly how it will get banned the quickest. Why not look it up online, everyone reading this has internet access.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to rain on everyone's parade here, but I have to speak up. I'm not trying to be negative, I just hate seeing someone get a ticket for breaking the law. First, I'll say what the law will say...negligence of the law is no excuse. Meaning, just because you don't know of a particular law doesn't mean it won't be enforced or you won't get a ticket. There is a post somewhere on these forums which has a link to Federal and State laws, and if I find it, I'll throw the link on here. I would go, or call, your local City Hall, local Parks Department, local Police Department and ask your question to them. Another option, find a local MDing club or local MDing shop and ask them. Trust me, you don't want to get slapped with a ticket or antiquities infraction; they may even take your equipment along with giving a ticket.

The last thing you do is call the local police, or city hall, they will not research the laws, they will give their personal opinions or personal interpretations only....

You do your own research, if you can read this post you have the ability to do your own research. If you can't find a law that says "no metal detecting" go detect..In 10 years of detecting I have never met a single hunter ever ticketed for metal detecting an area that didn't have a specific law against it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Chowder, Fletch and TH'r are right. I know you mean well, but you risk running afoul of "safe answer" psychology . Ie.: no one cared till you asked.

.... hate seeing someone get a ticket for breaking the law. First, I'll say what the law will say...negligence of the law is no excuse....

Wait. Who said anything about "breaking laws" ? If this premise is true, then by all means, don't break laws. But if it's not "law", then this premise doesn't follow.
.... There is a post somewhere on these forums which has a link to Federal and State laws.....

Great for "federal and state laws" I suppose. But the OP's question was down to city and county type levels.

... I would go, or call, your local City Hall, local Parks Department, local Police Department and ask your question to them.....

And what would they base their answer on ? Actual law right ? (versus arbitrary whim or mood, right?) So if we agree, then what to have stopped you from looking up the laws for yourself ?

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, sometimes I let my OCD get the best of me and I have to step back, take a deep breath and just let it go (no pun intended) :laughing7:

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's exactly how it will get banned the quickest. Why not look it up online, everyone reading this has internet access.

I have and I couldn't find anything at all on the city or counties website and I have scoured them more than once.

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chowder, Fletch and TH'r are right. I know you mean well, but you risk running afoul of "safe answer" psychology . Ie.: no one cared till you asked.

Wait. Who said anything about "breaking laws" ? If this premise is true, then by all means, don't break laws. But if it's not "law", then this premise doesn't follow.

Great for "federal and state laws" I suppose. But the OP's question was down to city and county type levels.

And what would they base their answer on ? Actual law right ? (versus arbitrary whim or mood, right?) So if we agree, then what to have stopped you from looking up the laws for yourself ?

I know what the federal and state laws are, they weren't very hard to find. Florida has a lot of history and there are certain areas protected by state and federal laws to preserve historical sites and those are pretty clearly defined and hard to not know you are detecting them. Like Tom said, I was trying to find out about city and county statutes for city parks and public land and that is where I haven't been able to find anything in writing.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you show me and instance where this has happened on public land where there are no posted rules (on site or in the books) regarding metal detecting? I know of several where someone ignored the rules, but, never seen it happen where there are no specific rules against it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread