A video showing why you need to grid search anywhere you have nails abundant

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i,ve started studying the effects of iron on targets in air .
Before anyone pipes in air-tests are useless ,i will be making a very extensive test bed for study of iron effect on nearby target .Of course this testbed will take maybe a year to be true representation of whats going on below .
so far some of the tests have been quite eye opening . with even the posibility of a nail helping you to hit a hammered coin better than if it wasnt there . Sounds madness i know but i thought this was interesting enough to want to share .

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed them too. I wonder how that translates into targets that are, and have been, in the ground for years, decades, centuries? Also, other machines might handle those situations differently regardless of coil type, such as the Deus, E-trac/CTX, F75, Etc, which are known to do a bit better in iron infested ground than other machines. But, then, you have to take into account the type of ground and the amount and type of mineralization. A daunting and time consuming task! :thumbsup:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice post Nigel.

OP
OP
N

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed them too. I wonder how that translates into targets that are, and have been, in the ground for years, decades, centuries? Also, other machines might handle those situations differently regardless of coil type, such as the Deus, E-trac/CTX, F75, Etc, which are known to do a bit better in iron infested ground than other machines. But, then, you have to take into account the type of ground and the amount and type of mineralization. A daunting and time consuming task! :thumbsup:

well i certainly have time . having detected my three permissions with four machines finds are drying up and i,m now onto a sorex pro to try and weedle out a few more targets ,but the grass is too high till the cows go back in the field ,then it will be too dry for digging if we dont get a wet summer . so many factors too consider .
I have a disc missing in my back ,worn out by grafting and now bone on bone , i have to keep moving or i get real stiff . hence pottering around in garden ,or fixing things around the house .
i do have four coins buried in my garden . silver 3d at 5",£1 coin at 6" ,2 shilling (cupro) 7" ,and old copper penny 8" .
all were buried just over twelve months ago and were easy to hit by every machine when buried .
one year on they display the same kind of signals we are seeing in these tests . sweet on one swing ,and very unsweet at 90 degrees to it . i dont remember checking hole for small nails before dropping coins in and my garden is full of well rusted nails that average about a inch length . so i assume there is a nail or two within a few inches of all four targets .
with so many nails in my garden its not ideal for my study of coin/nail interaction(i will make my testbed in fields) . but is ideal for finding a machine that works in iron . so far golden mask 1+ and the humble gc-1023 were the best at uncovering targets several machines couldnt touch . i want to get a deus user in the garden now while i video their efforts , i doubt they will get much more out . but i know there's plenty still there masked by nails .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Some other machines to try the test with, are the Tesoro Silver Sabre, and the Compass 77b. They both have a very good iron-see-through ability. Yet , as your testing shows, the ability to do it is *still* probably going to be better at one direction, versus another (depending on the trajectory of the nails).

OP
OP
N

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i certainly have time . having detected my three permissions with four machines finds are drying up and i,m now onto a sorex pro to try and weedle out a few more targets ,but the grass is too high till the cows go back in the field ,then it will be too dry for digging if we dont get a wet summer . so many factors too consider .
I have a disc missing in my back ,worn out by grafting and now bone on bone , i have to keep moving or i get real stiff . hence pottering around in garden ,or fixing things around the house .
i do have four coins buried in my garden . silver 3d at 5",£1 coin at 6" ,2 shilling (cupro) 7" ,and old copper penny 8" .
all were buried just over twelve months ago and were easy to hit by every machine when buried .
one year on they display the same kind of signals we are seeing in these tests . sweet on one swing ,and very unsweet at 90 degrees to it . i dont remember checking hole for small nails before dropping coins in and my garden is full of well rusted nails that average about a inch length . so i assume there is a nail or two within a few inches of all four targets .
with so many nails in my garden its not ideal for my study of coin/nail interaction(i will make my testbed in fields) . but is ideal for finding a machine that works in iron . so far golden mask 1+ and the humble gc-1023 were the best at uncovering targets several machines couldnt touch . i want to get a deus user in the garden now while i video their efforts , i doubt they will get much more out . but i know there's plenty still there masked by nails .

As you quite rightly point out Tom the effect we are seeing is as much down to shape /direction nail is in ,as much as it has anything to do with dd/concentric .
Working from memory of owning/using concentric machines in past there was often a good angle of approach and less than good . it just seems more pronounced with DD coil ,so that signal can be good or downright ugly just because 1 single nail enters picture .
what has amazed me today experimenting in garden again,is i dropped my gain from 8 down to 3 . to try to increase recovery speed and hopefully get a few surface finds that have been masked in past .
to my surprise i got a weak 80's signal and dug down . out popped i small bit of iron (poss 1/2 a nail ) ,4 nails and two pieces of coke . then finally at 9" a copper plate about 2". i didnt expect to get 9" on small coil with gain on 3 ,. let alone with all this trash in between . IMGP8345.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have just updated the video ,its gone from 5 minutes to 14 minutes .i have added footage of a bounty hunter and gc-1023 ,both sporting concentric coils . results were very favourable to concentric use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions