chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have been detecting a yard in town for 3 years now, its not very big i keep getting clad and some wheat odds and ends. best yet was a 1904 indian head... but where on the property should i look more into? there is a big tree (old property marker) but its roots are so thick out about 6-8 feet from it can maybe get an inch down if your lucky.. but no other markers to detect around. any ideas on where to seach more. every time i scan i find stuff all over there is no general area i have found more in. just out for some info. house was built in 1900's i believe.

Thanks, nate

Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any old photos of the property that might indicate past uses? Example: area where a clothesline was used in the past or where an outhouse may have been. Has the owner given any useful information about the property's history? They might know where people congregated outside or where certain activities took place on a regular basis in the yard. Are there any structures on the property other than the house? A shed, for example.

You should also hunt along the sides of any driveway or sidewalk, and around the mailbox.

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I see daffodillies (flowers) growing in an area in the woods. I know they just did not get there on there own. Women planted this all of the time around their house.Look on trees for where barbwire growing into a tree, Barbwire on the ground, a large pile of rocks, springs where someone may have got water at one time....some of the things I look for.

Tom

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there any old photos of the property that might indicate past uses? Example: area where a clothesline was used in the past or where an outhouse may have been. Has the owner given any useful information about the property's history? They might know where people congregated outside or where certain activities took place on a regular basis in the yard. Are there any structures on the property other than the house? A shed, for example.

You should also hunt along the sides of any driveway or sidewalk, and around the mailbox.

There is a garage and no I can't find many pics of the setup or if there was a mailbox. I have been hitting the sidewalk not getting much mainly stinking Lincoln's and newer stuff. It keeps producing though. And it has been empty for last few years no-one living in it.. thanks for reply

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I see daffodillies (flowers) growing in an area in the woods. I know they just did not get there on there own. Women planted this all of the time around their house.Look on trees for where barbwire growing into a tree, Barbwire on the ground, a large pile of rocks, springs where someone may have got water at one time....some of the things I look for.

Tom

Yes I look for that too when outside of town haha but I'm 15 ft between houses maybe

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grid north-south, then grid east-west, then grid diagonal both directions.........that should get the stragglers...........

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 years in a small yard? It would seem you could have gridded it in every possible direction by now. Maybe you found everything?

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 years in a small yard? It would seem you could have gridded it in every possible direction by now. Maybe you found everything?

Yeah, sometimes those sites you think are going to produce oodles of keepers barely eek out anything. :dontknow: Or maybe some other detectorists hit it in the past?

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find almost a dollar every time I hit it in clad. Me and my gf uncle hit it almost every day. Last 2 days I got over 2$. Don't ask me how but it keeps providing. We always re check our plugs and holes for more. And have went back next day pass over old plug and find more change.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a bounty hunter 1100 and her uncle uses a cheaper model but I find change at 5+ inches often. And weirdly it's 80's and under down to 60-70s.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
After 3 years, I would think your coil has passed over every square foot by now.

You may try gridding in a different direction, but I would say change machines or change sites.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya we have had to pass it over but I keep finding stuff. There is normally 2 detectors going through it at a time and I upgraded detectors and still finding

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the tect o track app going to try it out