Input on a first time detector

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have hunted Native American relics most of my life, but have recently gotten interested in doing some metal detecting, and am considering a first time purchase of a detector. Can any of you give me some advice on what would be a good beginners detector? I would be interested in something to find coins and jewelry, as well as civil war relics, as I am in an area rich with civil war stuff, and would probably like to stay in the price range of under $600 or so. I have no knowledge of this hobby, so any good advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Right in your price range and on sale right now is the wonderful Fisher F75. Can not go wrong with this detector. Look up some dealers that sponsor here.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
highly recommend the AT pro, with 5x8 and NEL/CORS 12x13 coils. Cant go wrong with that.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
There will be a few options for you to consider, but make sure you buy a machine from a sponsoring vendor on T-Net.

You will have lots of support here and make a vendor happy.

Once you decide on a machine, pay attention to the other things that you will need, such as a pinpointer and a QUALITY digging tool, you will find that some vendors have packages that include name brand accessories, and some offer junk.

For instance, Big Boys Hobbies has Lesche diggers and Garrett pinpointers with many of their machines.

That is important.

Good luck and happy hunting.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab X-terra 705 will do all that you require.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I started with AT Pro, it's in your budget, and it works like a charm.

Blythewood's just down I-77, come on up for a couple of hours, and I will take you out on a test drive of the AT Pro!

Good luck brother.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
highly recommend the AT pro, with 5x8 and NEL/CORS 12x13 coils. Cant go wrong with that.
Yeah the AT Pro(Garrett) is the best all around metal detector in that price range.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was in the same boat as you just last week & that was my same budget. I went with the AT Pro. I got it from a sponser on this forum Medal Detecting Stuff. It pays to check all of them I . I am just an hour north of Carolina Tom.... I got the Native America site (which I don't care about/ youwant what you dont have ,lol) but who knows maybe some relics there but NO civil war.

Ever make a road trip up this way let me know, I am not the one to show you how to use that machine.
Tom
Lexington, NC

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sale that is going on for the Fisher F75 is a killer deal. Pro grade machine for a great price.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet! Buy from a sponsor here on TNet and ask them for the best price. With a phone call you will save big!
Best of luck out there!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't plan on hunting in the water I would spend a couple hundred more and buy a clean used Etrac from one of the members on here. I've owned both and there is a big difference.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sale that is going on for the Fisher F75 is a killer deal. Pro grade machine for a great price.
Agreed, if you can get a new F75 in your price range, I'd get that for the type of hunting you plan on doing, assuming you don't need it to be waterproof. If you do, get the AT Pro.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted Native American relics most of my life, but have recently gotten interested in doing some metal detecting, and am considering a first time purchase of a detector. Can any of you give me some advice on what would be a good beginners detector? I would be interested in something to find coins and jewelry, as well as civil war relics, as I am in an area rich with civil war stuff, and would probably like to stay in the price range of under $600 or so. I have no knowledge of this hobby, so any good advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello, and welcome from New York! All of the suggestions so far are great. Here is another one. At $450.00, the Tesoro Vaquero is one of the best mid-range metal detectors on the market today. It is a straight forward, easy to use and learn machine, that is just as deep and sensitive as any of the machines suggested so far. It is lighter, has a LIFETIME warranty for the original owner, and is made in Prescott, Arizona.

You can't find a better machine in your price range. Tesoro Vaquero - Kellyco

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save yourself a lot of grief and call [email protected] 405-206-9010 He is a tnet vendor and Bart will not talk you into something you don't want or need. He is a real straight shooter.. I have spent plenty with him and he always treated me right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread