Coil for my infinium

gordzilla

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi everyone.
I just got my first detector, the Garrett Infinium.
I was getting a little worried and frustrated that something was wrong with it as all I could get it to do was scream gibberish at me.
However I have come to the conclusion that the areas I was attempting to search just have way to much junk.
So, I want a smaller coil that can differentiate between the hits.
What I want to know is which one to get? I was thinking of the 8" mono as it is smaller and claims to be good in light to heavy mineralized soils, but I was wondering could I get away with the 3"x7" power DD. It says it is for extremely mineralized soil but would it do Ok in regular soil, and how much less depth am I looking at?
Thanks
Gord.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the Infinium is a PI detector, the 3X7 will still be fine for coins in parks, etc with only a small lose of depth. You may only need the extra depth with the normal coil. Since the PI's have almost no discrimination they are very hard to use where there is small pieces of iron in the ground. At a sandy saltwater beach the extra depth from a PI is useful. The digging of deep holes for iron is wasting time when some great discrimination from a Excal is a God Send.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions