jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little detecting there , I got a ww2 coller Disc & a few wheats. But the area is Full of trash. When the Gov tore the houses down, I believe they just buldized everything over. Of course I only searched a small area. The local Twp. Police are Very Friendly. at least to everyone but Off Roaders. I asked him about detecting & he told me where the Ball Field used to be, and said Have fun. He was buisy taking license Numbers of Vehicles that? obviously belonged to Off Roaders. so I'm unaware why they have the site listed.? ? ? ? ? ? Byrnesville is another town, just outside Centralia? ?http://members.aol.com/mpreil/? I dont know why this link dodn't activate, but if you type it in exactly it works. BYRNESVILLE is a complete ghost town now

F

fleur325

You detected there?? I am confused.? Isn't Centralia still burning and very toxic?? I was under the impression it would still be burning for many years to come.?

Edited to add that I didn't realize people still lived there. I have told people about the Centralia tragedy before, but people tend to think I am making it up, unless they had heard about it previously.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is still burning, But these days, it's very hard to see where, with the exception of when it Burns thru to the surface or wen it rains.... as far as Toxic, well it's outside. sorta like when someone complains about second hand smoke outside. if you dont walk up to the fumes & breath in deeply, you'd never have to worry. tere are spots, close to the impact area, where you could fall thru, you just have to know where, not to go :)

I

irish317

I was geocaching in Centrailia last fall. You don't have to worry about the fumes so much, as you have to watch where you walk. Some parts of town are more likely to collapse than others. I'm serious.
I wouldn't hunt there alone. It has happened before, that's why there are warning signs posted around town. A boy fell in a hole that opened up in a backyard. It's a risk you have to think a about anywhere in mining country. The Swatara falls near here actually dried up for a while because an old mine collapsed upstream and swallowed the stream for a while.

I didn't even know that they'd let you detect in Centrailia because it's federal land. If you don't mind the junk, there are still a few parks, and decent yards up there to detect. Just drive around town and have a look. It's a little grown up in most areas, and there are probably lots of nails and iron.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
newtown, Irish ? im in Joliett :)

I

irish317

It's a small world. I hope to get out detecting this again this spring when I can squeeze it into my work schedule. Let me know if you need a partner. There are quite a few places left to hit out this way. I need to heal a little more before I can go back to work,or out detecting. I'm doing better, but I only worked 1 month since August. I really need the exercise.
Ed

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd definately like to get together. always good to meet new people.

M

mercypa

Here's a link to a town in PA that has links to other towns that don't exist anymore.What's cool about it is they have pics of what they used to look like.Most are logging towns that moved after they cut all the trees down. http://www.smethporthistory.org/

Be Good,
Doug

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Hey Jeff maybe centraila would not be to bad right now being right after the winter there is really nothing growing yet. Might not be a bad idea to check it out some time in the next couple weeks before everything starts growing in. What do ya think??

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP, Rich, shouldn't be too grown up yet. I wonder if it's thawed out up there yet :)

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I dont know about up there yet but I know the ground in reading is thawed out mostly because I have been going out after nightshift for an hour or 2. I would think Centraila should be OK for a couple weeks. Maybe we can get out together when I have a day off. I will let you know when I am off work. HH!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading up there for 11:00 am, April First.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions