a little confused on what detector to start with

visitor21

Greenie
Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

Thanks everyone for having a really cool forum that is very helpful to a beginner!

I really want to go and hunt silver coins. I plan on looking in parks that will have a lot of trash. Can anyone recommend a good detector for me?

I thought I had read somewhere that some detectors have a display that will show you whether or not you are likely to be over a coin or not. Is that correct?

What would you guys recommend for me to buy?

Thank you!

:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Visitor21, if you haven't already consider watching Utube video's on detectors. They are a wealth of information in showing the Many different makes and models of detectors. It shows many being used in the field and how to set them up. The detectors already mentioned are fine detectors. There are so many different makes and models. Utube will help hopefully in finding what you are looking for in a detector and narrowing down the field. Best of Luck to you in your quest.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of favorite park machines; all of 'em Tesoros.

The Tesoro Outlaw or Vaquero are a couple I'd recommend for most places, especially where soil conditions differ place to place. Outlaw is quieter or "smoother" in heavy trash, especially around steel bottle caps. Vaquero is a bit deeper.

If your soil is always relatively mild, the Cibola is also a great park unit with good depth.

On any of these Tesoros, your best discrimination will be with their concentric coils.
In heavy trash, I like the 5.75" concentric best. For general coin shooting and not-so-heavy trash, then either the 8" donut or 9x8 concentric.

Do remember to get yourself a good digging tool, headphones, an apron for your finds, and a pinpointer. Not sure if your total budget included those items or was just for the detector.

^_^
I like your King Crimson album cover avatar!! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread