a little confused on what detector to start with

visitor21

Greenie
Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

Thanks everyone for having a really cool forum that is very helpful to a beginner!

I really want to go and hunt silver coins. I plan on looking in parks that will have a lot of trash. Can anyone recommend a good detector for me?

I thought I had read somewhere that some detectors have a display that will show you whether or not you are likely to be over a coin or not. Is that correct?

What would you guys recommend for me to buy?

Thank you!

:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

DirtTGuy

Aug 16, 2015
Maine
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello visitor21 I have been detecting for a couple years now. I started with a fisher F2 has a very good display on it.
It is an entry level detector but works very well. Has a nice large display that gives you a numeric read out as to what it is you
may be over. The higher the number the better the find, unless it is a bottle cap or big iron. Most detectors will show you if you
may be over a coin but it is no guarantee. Good luck to you hope this helps a little.

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use tesoro detectors, but any good brand will work.

Note on displays!! Never Ever fully trust a display. you will miss finds with it. learn to hunt by sound, the hum of your threshold, and you will have a leg up on others

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
See if you can borrow or rent one. The thought of going to the park and finding silver coins has been around since the 60's and the parks have been hit already...many many times. That doesn't mean you can't get lucky and find a silver!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your budget?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

OP
OP
V

visitor21

Greenie
Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DirtTGuy! That info does help!

:)

I will look into the F2!

OP
OP
V

visitor21

Greenie
Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Kuntzy, I am learning more and more from what I am reading about displays, that they aren't always good. Does it take a long time to get good at listening to the hum it makes in order to know what you are probably looking at?

OP
OP
V

visitor21

Greenie
Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm hoping to get lucky. I'm also looking in asia in Taiwan actually, where there are a lot of old temple sites / shrines where people used to leave money. I'm hoping that not as many people here are into the hobby!

My budget is around $500. I've been thinking of getting into it for awhile.

Terry Soloman, thanks for posting the video and for the warm welcome!!!!!

What do you guys think about pointers? I was thinking about getting one as it seemed to really help if you are looking in a big pile of dirt

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro. Works great for what you're looking to do.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Redcobra is right... AT Pro is a good one.

We look forward to seeing your finds!

Good luck.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I still consider myself a newbie but I'll give you an opinion as a newbie. I choose to get an F2 as a beginner machine but I think the logic would likely apply to any entry level machine. The reason I choose the F2 myself is because of 1: it had good reviews as an inexpensive entry level machine. I was pretty certain I would like the hobby but if I didn't, I wouldn't be in as deep (although after pin pointer, Lesche etc. what difference would it really make). 2: the F2 at the time had a package deal where you got the 10" and 4" coil and a pinpointer (piece of crap). The price was around $100 if I remember right. 3: being new, i didn't want a new machine that was hard to understand and complex which would add to discouragement as I found my footing. Now that I'm comfortable with this machine and have started finding the goods, I'll probably upgrade but I'll always have the entry level machine to fall back on.

Additional items I've needed: Headphones, pin pointer, Lesche, Neoprene cover, coil covers. You're going to be banging the cool against ****. You do not want it broken.

They're ok with hunting shrines and temples over there?

DigToChina

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Teknetics makes some really good detectors. Eurotek Pro and Omega come to mind then the AT Pro for a little more money.

OP
OP
V

visitor21

Greenie
Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DigToChina thank for the super helpful information!
Oh, I should clarify I mean abandoned sites where no one goes anymore. No, I would not go near a place where people are worshipping without permission ( or go any place without permission), and I know that they would almost 100% not want that, and I respect that. Also going to hunt in the parks too. Hope I get lucky!

OP
OP
V

visitor21

Greenie
Nov 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was pretty set on the Garrett 450, but it looks like they won't ship to where I live.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Fisher 44?
Thanks!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Try the Fisher forum. Captain Caveman has a post about the F44. Maybe there are others.

Metal Detecting forum > Brands > Fisher.

Brands would be a good place to check other kinds as well. Good luck.

DigToChina

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man check into the laws about digging at sacred sites over there.....That might be strictly prohibited

Pathfinder100

Aug 9, 2016
Williamsport, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites treasure master
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a whites treasure master I bought back in august. It has a display but I hardly use it. I listen mostly to the tones. The display will lie to you at times, but the machine does work great for me. My neighbor uses Tesoros and has great luck as well

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a couple of favorite park machines; all of 'em Tesoros.

The Tesoro Outlaw or Vaquero are a couple I'd recommend for most places, especially where soil conditions differ place to place. Outlaw is quieter or "smoother" in heavy trash, especially around steel bottle caps. Vaquero is a bit deeper.

If your soil is always relatively mild, the Cibola is also a great park unit with good depth.

On any of these Tesoros, your best discrimination will be with their concentric coils.
In heavy trash, I like the 5.75" concentric best. For general coin shooting and not-so-heavy trash, then either the 8" donut or 9x8 concentric.

Do remember to get yourself a good digging tool, headphones, an apron for your finds, and a pinpointer. Not sure if your total budget included those items or was just for the detector.

^_^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread