chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friends had a coin collection stolen a few yrs ago well I found the kid that stole them and he told me where he dropped them in and going to show me tomorrow.. my question is how far will the coins travel down crick. He said he just dropped them in didn't throw them. The current was not strong that day. But this crick does flood pretty bad.. would they have just settled down within so far of drop or could they be way down crick? These coins were from all over the world and some were from his father when he was in military. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two-hundred dollars worth (inflation): My bet is he is telling the truth. Maybe a little like Edgar Allen Poe's "The Telltale Heart". When in doubt, check it out.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think he's LYING about throwing MONEY into a river. Who does that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well was a crick but he stole them to try and get money to spend and couldn't find anyone to buy them and he couldn't spend it so he walked to crick and dropped them in so wouldn't be in his possession... [emoji55]

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a magnet it will pick up the coins for other countries...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Get yourself some VERY shiny clad coins of different sizes. Drop them in where the kid did and see where the shiny ones end up.

Another possibility would be to paint some coins with fluorescent paint and drop them in on a sunny day. Come back after dark and you should see the new coins.
Could also drop them in at night just after activating them using a bright flashlight. Then you could actually watch them flip and spiral downward.

How long ago did this happen, and are there fish in this creek? Fish will often eat shiny things.

EDIT: Just read the OP again. Lost several years ago, and the creek can flood pretty bad. Still, I don't think your coins would be blasted very far from their originating point unless you live in some steep terrain and the coins were heading downhill. If that's the case, all you can do is get in there and swing a coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything yet?
No have yet to meet the kid I have been working when he is out of school. Trying to make a day but I have been working weekends to. Mornings I have off.. I haven't just went in yet because I wanna know where to start it's 14 degrees out. Don't wanna play where I shouldn't be haha. Would be different if it was warmer.. I will keep you posted and even add pics as I go when I meet the kid

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use a magnet it will pick up the coins for other countries...
A magnet will pick coins up from what all country's? That would help with recovery

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are, if the coins have been down there for years, they're not going anywhere until you can recover them this summer. Ferrous coins are mostly a modern thing. If they were collectible coins from a collection, most likely they're non-ferrous, and therefor not magnetic.

OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chances are, if the coins have been down there for years, they're not going anywhere until you can recover them this summer. Ferrous coins are mostly a modern thing. If they were collectible coins from a collection, most likely they're non-ferrous, and therefor not magnetic.
Ya that is what I was thinking but wanted some help with more educated people on coins in water and I didn't think they would be magnetic but I don't know much of coins really to that extent.. thanks for your imput

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions