New at metaldetecting but very excited please help!

locky

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi everyone, im new at metaldetecting. I will be doing this mostly in europe, which metal detector is best for land and maybe watery areas?(rivers or lakes) i want to find gold coins and silver. I have 2500 to spend on a metaldetector so , I want to try and have the best gadget out there, any input wil be very appreciated!

thank

locky

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all want to find gold coins and silver. Almost all detector will detect those 2 metals, some deeper than others. I hope you don't mind digging a lot of trash. How steep of a learning curve do you want? Most of the top end machines have many options that you can grow into after using some preset modes. You might want to look into a CTX 3030, maybe an XP Deus. Many manufactures have machines that will do what you want. I use both the F75LTD/2 and the XP Deus. Watch some videos of the higher end machines and listen to their sounds, go to sites and check out their specifications like weight, battery life, how the data is displayed on the screen etc. You will need other gear, especially a good pin pointer. I'd also watch videos of Metal detecting in Europe and see what detectors they are using and what they are finding.

Good Luck

OP
OP
L

locky

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all want to find gold coins and silver. Almost all detector will detect those 2 metals, some deeper than others. I hope you don't mind digging a lot of trash. How steep of a learning curve do you want? Most of the top end machines have many options that you can grow into after using some preset modes. You might want to look into a CTX 3030, maybe an XP Deus. Many manufactures have machines that will do what you want. I use both the F75LTD/2 and the XP Deus. Watch some videos of the higher end machines and listen to their sounds, go to sites and check out their specifications like weight, battery life, how the data is displayed on the screen etc. You will need other gear, especially a good pin pointer. I'd also watch videos of Metal detecting in Europe and see what detectors they are using and what they are finding.

Good Luck

thank you for your reply....
any good website where i could buy the metalD that you said above? amazon,ebay?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need it to be waterproof, I'd go with the CTX. Check our supporting sponsors here on Tnet. I'm sure some of them would be willing to ship to Europe.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to spend all your money at once, then I would go with the CTX 3030 too, but boy is there a lot to learn.

If you wanted to sped about a third of the money and get a good fresh water detector, then I would go with the AT Pro International from Garrett.

With the extra money you have saved you could get that pin pointer that was discussed earlier. Garrett has one that is good to be used in water as well.

They gave it a nickname of the Garrett Carrot because of it's orange colour.

If you are doing a lot of water hunting then I would suggest a good quality water scoop too.

There is a guy in Ukraine that you can get a good deal on. Look for Stavr Scoops if you can't find anything from one of our site sponsor here.

I would discourage you from buying off of EBay due to the recent influx of fake machines and pin pointers, but that's up to you.

If you insist on getting one from EBay then maybe ask for the serial number first, and check it with the manufacturer to make sure its legit?

Also buying from EBay (unless it's an authorized reseller of said machine) won't come with a warranty. So if you use your expensive new machine in the water and it leaks, and then fries the circuitry...........well then your out of luck and a lot of money.

I would watch some YouTube videos on water detecting using the CTX3030 and the AT Pro and go from there.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Ctx 3030
Watch the videos of the using it for deep targets in Europe

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard
I hope you finds some good old stuff
Good luck

OP
OP
L

locky

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all guys for your kind replies,

i actually am in canada now(im cuban) but i want to go to europe and try to find my luck with a metaldetector :)

the reason why i asked about a waterproof metalD is because there might be gold in lakes in europe (since the germans dropped them there before surrendering) or so Ive read so far.

if i find anything, ill sell it and buy my mother a home seaside in cuba, :) thats the plan.

OP
OP
L

locky

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw, what are pinpointers used for?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw, what are pinpointers used for?

To quickly locate a target that you've already generally located with your main detector. For small and/or elusive targets, they can help find it much easier and faster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread