Secret metal detecting tecnique!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Want to make millions metal detecting? Want to find gold coins by the hundreds AND diamond rings by the thousands? Well good luck! Because I am here to help new hobbyists bridge the gap between fantasy and reality. I'm going to be a wet blanket here so be prepared!

So you want to get into metal detecting. Here are the steps:

1. Expectations. What are you expecting? Looking to make it rich? For the most part that isn't happening unless you get real real real lucky and you will get frustrated easy with that mind set. Looking to get out for some exercise and fresh air? Maybe learn something? Is this something you will enjoy no matter what you find? Then this is the right approach.
  2. Research. Look into the area you will be hunting. Are there many other detectorists in the area? Are there places to go? Do you mind driving to find spots?
  3. Logistics. Are you able to afford the time and money? The detector, batteries, digger, pinpointer, gas money, and other expenses are just some of the things to consider.
  4. Equipment. Start small. A garden shovel. A screw driver. An affordable machine should be your primary purchases. An Ace 250 OR bounty hunter is an inexpensive way to get into the hobby. You may regret spending a bunch of money only to find out that this hobby isnt for you.

I am sure there are much more things to consider when starting out, however these are the core issues you may come across. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some detector companies have rather misleading pics in their brochures showing piles of gold coins and jewelry giving the impression that this is normally what is found after a short while of hunting.Those pics never will show even one pull tab or bottle cap and their carefully worded advertising can lead the beginner into thinking that this one particular detector will find only gold.One manufacturer even used a small Christian fish symbol in their advertising to give the impression of honesty....So I bought that darn detector....some kinda gold scorpion unit...worse detector I've ever owned.That was back in 1990 and it's a wonder I'm still doing this.Glad I stayed with the hobby though in fact now it's more of an obsession.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some detector companies have rather misleading pics in their brochures showing piles of gold coins and jewelry giving the impression that this is normally what is found after a short while of hunting.Those pics never will show even one pull tab or bottle cap and their carefully worded advertising can lead the beginner into thinking that this one particular detector will find only gold.One manufacturer even used a small Christian fish symbol in their advertising to give the impression of honesty....So I bought that darn detector....some kinda gold scorpion unit...worse detector I've ever owned.That was back in 1990 and it's a wonder I'm still doing this.Glad I stayed with the hobby though in fact now it's more of an obsession.
Pulltab pics don't sell detectors! Gold and jewelry pics do! The detector companies spend big money to marketing companies to put those adds together. They have that right. THAT ... is why you should buy from the venders advertising here. They arre more apt to be detectorists. And they must live with the good or bad posts here, regarding their sales. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is another point. If you have seen the videos I have seen with MDer's digging ugly holes in public places, you would cringe. The last thing we need is an influx of people that don't give a hoot and destroy the hobby by being careless.

Shows on TV like "Diggers" and the "Boom Baby" wrestler guy did WAAAAY more to hurt our hobby than any other source. :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Shows on TV like "Diggers" and the "Boom Baby" wrestler guy did WAAAAY more to hurt our hobby than any other source. :skullflag:

nationally(maybe internationally). But some jackass digging holes and making a mess in YOUR area is more immediate and readily resolved.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever someone interested in the hobby ask me what they should get I always answer, "time." If you dedicate the time everything else will start to fall in place. It's really that simple.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Support your vendors or loose them. I don't want my machine made in China. Use a small coil, run all metal. Dig it all. That's the secret. Prove me wrong.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, a newbie, like myself, who initially spends a tidy sum on his first detector, like me, is an idiot. Shucks man, thanks for the enlightenment.

Meanwhile, this is one idiot who is having a blast.
Vern. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying big right away. Just USE IT OFTEN and you too will appreciate a good machine! TTC

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying big right away. Just USE IT OFTEN and you too will appreciate a good machine! TTC

TerryC,
Well, it's comforting to know at least two of us agree on this subject.
I was initially advised to purchase an entry level MD. I did and for me it was a mistake. Within a week I was ready to spend higher bucks for a higher level machine. No regrets on my choice either.

I play stringed and wind music instruments. I've been asked by newbies a hundred times and more, "what should I start with", like buying a ukulele. One can begin their ukulele career with a toy at $45.- $75.00. But they are 10 times more likely to stick with it spending $300.00 on a sweet sounding easy to chord instrument.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern. Please, I don't want details but..... when told to "buy entry level", I suspect you went "cheap". A hundred dollar Bounty Hunter, or such, is back sliding, in my opinion. Garrett 250 is a fine starter at about $230. I have TWO! Many people pick a machine first by price then learn it won't do what was expected. Then they quickly get discouraged. The approach should be to first pick several machines based on their expected purpose THEN factor in the price. And once bought, put in the required 100 hours before declaring it "not enough". TTC

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern. Please, I don't want details but..... when told to "buy entry level", I suspect you went "cheap". A hundred dollar Bounty Hunter, or such, is back sliding, in my opinion. Garrett 250 is a fine starter at about $230. I have TWO! Many people pick a machine first by price then learn it won't do what was expected. Then they quickly get discouraged. The approach should be to first pick several machines based on their expected purpose THEN factor in the price. And once bought, put in the required 100 hours before declaring it "not enough". TTC

Garret ACE 200 @ $169.00. Yes, it will find treasures. But for me it was a very ackward machine. Probably just me

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garret ACE 200 @ $169.00. Yes, it will find treasures. But for me it was a very ackward machine. Probably just me
Hey Vern. 200 will do just fine for awhile. As a newbie, WE are the "entry level" not the machine. TTC

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went 800 for a mxt pro
took me a while to learn it, but I don't need an upgrade yet ( although a salt water machine would be nice)
However, I am not looking for a profit, just fun

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Publish THIS - 10 lbs of junk I recovered in the first 2 1/2 months of 2017. Enjoy! And I did...because I recovered all this crap on beautiful beaches with beautiful people and often weather, just enjoying life as it truly flies by...
20170325_125551.jpg

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take my shovel everywhere I go including parks, always dig a nice plug, make sure it looks good. Most good targets in my area seem to be 6" or more. Plus I can be used for self defense, I've had thugs tell me wtf am I doing at there park, people saying that they will shoot me for being on there block. Or you could even get robed. So to me shovel is more then a tool and yes I have a permit to carry but having all the md gear on can make I hard to pack

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Publish THIS - 10 lbs of junk I recovered in the first 2 1/2 months of 2017. Enjoy! And I did...because I recovered all this crap on beautiful beaches with beautiful people and often weather, just enjoying life as it truly flies by...
View attachment 1432898

Now that's what I call detecting :)

Like it or lump it.

We are not just detectorists... We are trash collectors.

That my friends... IS........ reality.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you imagine what our parks and beaches would look like if the metal detector did not exist.

I guess taxes would be higher to pay wages for a trash task force that would be required to maintain these areas.

Randyatgunclub

Greenie
Mar 23, 2017
LowCountry of SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus w/Pin-pointer
Garrett AT Pro and
Bounty Hunter Camo
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vern2,

Three words in your answer "having a blast" is my reason for metal detecting. If I find something interesting and has some value, then that is just a bonus.

When my grandkids come over and I break out the Garrett, and to see the excitement in their eyes and watch them follow me like kittens following a leaky cow and dig some coins makes my day.

Hopefully most who gets involved are doing it for the same enjoyment.

Keep "having a blast."

Randy

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow. all that. I did it to meet girls

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. all that. I did it to meet girls

Um... how's that working out for you ? ? ?

Do they say things like "Oh My ! ... That's a nice pin pointer " - ?

:P

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it's in our DNA to look and find stuff. Goes all the way back to our "hunter/gatherer roots. Digging roots with a pointed stick. Lots of free probes back then.

The man with the best pointed stick got the woman.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread