Secret metal detecting tecnique!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Want to make millions metal detecting? Want to find gold coins by the hundreds AND diamond rings by the thousands? Well good luck! Because I am here to help new hobbyists bridge the gap between fantasy and reality. I'm going to be a wet blanket here so be prepared!

So you want to get into metal detecting. Here are the steps:

1. Expectations. What are you expecting? Looking to make it rich? For the most part that isn't happening unless you get real real real lucky and you will get frustrated easy with that mind set. Looking to get out for some exercise and fresh air? Maybe learn something? Is this something you will enjoy no matter what you find? Then this is the right approach.
  2. Research. Look into the area you will be hunting. Are there many other detectorists in the area? Are there places to go? Do you mind driving to find spots?
  3. Logistics. Are you able to afford the time and money? The detector, batteries, digger, pinpointer, gas money, and other expenses are just some of the things to consider.
  4. Equipment. Start small. A garden shovel. A screw driver. An affordable machine should be your primary purchases. An Ace 250 OR bounty hunter is an inexpensive way to get into the hobby. You may regret spending a bunch of money only to find out that this hobby isnt for you.

I am sure there are much more things to consider when starting out, however these are the core issues you may come across. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree !!! The industry is partly to blame. You go on a detector brand's website and see all those valuable treasures they recovered and people think they are going to do the same. What they won't tell you is that for every one person that finds something good , there are a thousand who only get pocket change. When i started in the 1970's it was because a guy in my home town found a big metal milk can ( 3 feet tall ) full of silver coins and wheat pennies. Minimum wage was $3.10 and face value alone those coins were a lot of money. We were all led to believe we were going to do the same. For some , the hobby is too slow and boring , so Get in for the enjoyment and not the millions !!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's wrong with you newbies? :dontknow:

Of course metal detector manufacturers highlight the best finds made with their machines, and what's wrong with believing you're going to make a find that will change your life? The more idiots that go out and buy machines (and NOT inexpensive ones), the better! That means more hardly used machines available for the rest of us to buy used (and save some real dollars!).

Stop crying about your own misconceptions, and let the new or perspective hobbyist do what you have obviously done - find out for themselves. :skullflag:

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd love to see a manufacturer advertising the pulltabs found with their machines! Could you imagine that!? :sign10:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here it is, just sell detectors you'll get rich lol.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're not planning to dig up hundreds of trash targets to find a GOOD target, may I suggest stamp collecting? If you want to find raw gold, you must move dirt. Terry Solomon knows. If you want to find old coins you have to dig lots of clad. I know. I've dug THOUSANDS of clad since 1970! Come out from under your bed today, DO SOMETHING! TTC

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
The technique is so secret it's not even mentioned by the OP.

Make a video that does the same! :tongue3:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem with new people getting into our hobby, as the more they buy, the cheaper our machines become.

What I would like to see though is metal detecting etiquette brochures included with each machine sold.

Include things like how to dig a plug, don't use shovels in public spaces, take your trash with you and so on.

The butcher job that I had witnessed yesterday in a public park, leaves no explanation required as to why we lose permission sites to dig.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The technique is so secret it's not even mentioned by the OP.

Make a video that does the same! :tongue3:

That's because you didn't do the secret handshake. LMAO.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, a newbie, like myself, who initially spends a tidy sum on his first detector, like me, is an idiot. Shucks man, thanks for the enlightenment.

Meanwhile, this is one idiot who is having a blast.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That's because you didn't do the secret handshake. LMAO.

secret-handshake_4755049_GIFSoup.com.gif

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem with new people getting into our hobby, as the more they buy, the cheaper our machines become.

What I would like to see though is metal detecting etiquette brochures included with each machine sold.

Include things like how to dig a plug, don't use shovels in public spaces, take your trash with you and so on.

The butcher job that I had witnessed yesterday in a public park, leaves no explanation required as to why we lose permission sites to dig.

Well put! I arrived at a small park recently, only to see a Dad, his young son with a shiny new machine and a friend...Jr would locate a target and Dad would dig with a FULL SIZED SHOVEL like he was planting a River Birch with a 4 foot root ball...while I was disgusted...I did walk over and showed them my hand held Gator digger...and let them know that that huge excavating tool they were using would attract a lot of unwanted attention...it was a father and son deal so I was cordial...Ddf

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
So, a newbie, like myself, who initially spends a tidy sum on his first detector, like me, is an idiot. Shucks man, thanks for the enlightenment.

Meanwhile, this is one idiot who is having a blast.

I didn't call you an idiot. You did! LOL!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
[*]Equipment. Start small. A garden shovel. A screw driver. An affordable machine should be your primary purchases. An Ace 250 OR bounty hunter is an inexpensive way to get into the hobby. You may regret spending a bunch of money only to find out that this hobby isnt for you.
[/LIST]

This is what I always tell new people. Get a bounty hunter tracker IV for <$100. If you like the hobby after a few months then get the machine you really want. If you don't like the hobby you hardly lost any money. Additionally, until they get into the $500 price range I am not convinced any machine is really better than that BH other than it might have some bells and whistles that a newbie shouldn't be paying attention to anyway.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well put! I arrived at a small park recently, only to see a Dad, his young son with a shiny new machine and a friend...Jr would locate a target and Dad would dig with a FULL SIZED SHOVEL like he was planting a River Birch with a 4 foot root ball...while I was disgusted...I did walk over and showed them my hand held Gator digger...and let them know that that huge excavating tool they were using would attract a lot of unwanted attention...it was a father and son deal so I was cordial...Ddf

I know what you mean about giant shovel hunters, it's extremely frustrating.

In parks, schools or any other public place I only dig with my hori hori knife. I figure I have to get down to retrieve my find anyway, so no big deal.

Good for you to talking to them, we all should take a more proactive approach before detecting gets banned everywhere.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I agree with Terry, Those results on MD sites look a lot like my finds every year. It is a testament to what you can achieve if you put in the time, research and invest in a capable machine. Now, if it was positioned as something that was easy to achieve, I may take issue with that...
Of course metal detector manufacturers highlight the best finds made with their machines, and what's wrong with believing you're going to make a find that will change your life?

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
I know what you mean about giant shovel hunters, it's extremely frustrating.

In parks, schools or any other public place I only dig with my hori hori knife. I figure I have to get down to retrieve my find anyway, so no big deal.

Good for you to talking to them, we all should take a more proactive approach before detecting gets banned everywhere.

That is another point. If you have seen the videos I have seen with MDer's digging ugly holes in public places, you would cringe. The last thing we need is an influx of people that don't give a hoot and destroy the hobby by being careless.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone starts off learning and still learning as we grow older with our detectors.

My dearest Hubs said: Turn it on when I read him the article name. :headbang:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The people that dig the ugly holes never belong to forums and are at best movice detectorists. They take a stab at it and when they find they can retrieve a coin at 3' they quit. You can post all you want and those people will never know they are not digging holes properly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread