5 months of metal detecting clad (cashing in)

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$145 of pennies, nickels and dimes
$400 in quarters IMG_0153.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a whole lot of clad and a whole lot of squats. Your legs must be the size of tree trunks by now!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gosh...it's taken me three years to dig that much. Nice!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First couple of years I religiously kept track of MD clad finds.
I'd always keep pocket change separate and count every penny - Actually my daughter did the counting, I'd give her everything but the quarters.
I'd say I averaged around $200 every 3 months ,, But after a couple years I lost interest in keeping track and now when the jar is full, I dump it in a coinstar.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First couple of years I religiously kept track of MD clad finds.
I'd always keep pocket change separate and count every penny - Actually my daughter did the counting, I'd give her everything but the quarters.
I'd say I averaged around $200 every 3 months ,, But after a couple years I lost interest in keeping track and now when the jar is full, I dump it in a coinstar.

Yeah I need to paid down a Amazon bill.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the hardest part for me going from beach hunting with that long scoop back to land hunting again, "the constant squatting".......I forgot what it was like. The first week or so I thought my legs were going to give out. :laughing7:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big pay day , 'Paid for yr, AT almost'...

Being a details person , What did you do with the Zinc's , ? Did you Clean them?

WTG on the Quarters , Way easier than digging 25 Cent coins lol.

Scrap yr Brass & Copper & get paid More. If you don't already.

It can quickly (Detecting) become a Obsession . Many a marriage been broken up using a"Detecting too much" as the main reason. Glad to see yr Wife got u a Permission. We all should be so Lucky.

Or you can buy a nice CW relic , Key date 'O' mint Coin & you still dug it ......Kinda.
Good Job my friend.
Davers

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be totally honest with you when I went to rouses ( A local supermarket ) and Walmart I didn't actually water wash my coins and it was jammed both machines up. The coin star jammed up and he had to call them up to come unjam it. So he paid me what was on the screen. Then I went to thaw the supermarket that uses their own coin machine and some of the coins were bent and that's what was jamming them up and when the manager had to unjam it (4x times) she was noticing how everything was very dirty and that some of the coins were bent which was jamming them up. Any bent coin in any fashion will not go into my change jar from the beginning, lesson learned. She didn't say anything so I didn't either but I could tell she wasn't too happy. Lol but in my defense I didn't know how long it was going to take to sort out all the quarters themselves. So after I was done doing that my back was killing me and I just shoved all the rest in to a bag and off I went. Next time I'll rinse them off real good and just bring it all through the machine. Literally the whole process took me hours. Ugggh

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was the hardest part for me going from beach hunting with that long scoop back to land hunting again, "the constant squatting".......I forgot what it was like. The first week or so I thought my legs were going to give out. :laughing7:

I have to be honest with you at the beach turns out my legs so much more. When I go to the beaches in Mississippi, which aren't that great and I aren't the most populated, I have found myself walking across the street and just hunting the land more than the beach. My Wife thinks I'm nuts! Lol

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you pick up a cheap Harbor Freight tumbler, and run your coins through that first?

Doesn't take that much work, and I always surprise myself with coins I didn't know I had.

Just the other day I found 3 silvers mixed in with my pennies, but they were so dirty I hadn't noticed before the cleaning.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why don't you pick up a cheap Harbor Freight tumbler, and run your coins through that first?

Doesn't take that much work, and I always surprise myself with coins I didn't know I had.

Just the other day I found 3 silvers mixed in with my pennies, but they were so dirty I hadn't noticed before the cleaning.

It is so funny that you mentioned that because the coins that were spit out I didn't even bother rerunning them since I kept jamming up the machine as it was. So I saw these nickels when I got home and I just put them into some ice cold vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and I think one of them is a buffalo and one of them is a war nickel :]laughing IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0165.JPG IMG_0166.JPG Harbor freight just opened a mile away from my house I will definitely be making the trip

Another one! IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0168.JPG

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep certain dates of coins. You may well invest in a coin red book. I also find silver dimes mixed in with crusty zincs, harbor freight tumbler is blast.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is so funny that you mentioned that because the coins that were spit out I didn't even bother rerunning them since I kept jamming up the machine as it was. So I saw these nickels when I got home and I just put them into some ice cold vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and I think one of them is a buffalo and one of them is a war nickel :]laughing View attachment 1453916 View attachment 1453915 View attachment 1453917 View attachment 1453918 Harbor freight just opened a mile away from my house I will definitely be making the trip

Another one! View attachment 1453941 View attachment 1453942

Nice finds, that's exactly what happened to me!! LOL....

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run all thru the little tumbler than take them to my bank-- they run them and it spits out all the bent/damaged ones--I get cash and away I go// Perry

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, you have hurt my feelings. I actually thought I was doing g pretty good for the year. Patting myself on the back.
As of today, for 2017:
640 coins (69% pennies) = $26.78

Double wow wow! How long did it take to find that many coins? Had to be over 10,000, I at least suspect.

You are certainly a masterful coin finder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread