Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I just came across a White's Spectrum for sale. It has 5 programs in it, supposedly like new, and as far as I know it's just the detector (No extra coils, components, etc.). I know there has been quite a few spectrums. He says he bought it 10 years ago, so I'm assuming when he bought it, it had already been released for a year or 2. I'm not sure the series. He wants $450 for it, which i think is a pretty high price. My questions are, is this a good detector, and is it worth that.

I have a GM1000 and a White's GMZ, but gold areas are 2-3 hours away, so I wanted something for coin and relics in the mean time. I really don't have the money for a new one after buying the GM1000, so I'm hoping to get a good used one that has a history of being good. I know whites is great, but the technology is probably 15 years old. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good detector, but, not worth the price IMO.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would a reasonable price be? I figured $250-$300, but I doubt he will come down to that. If anything, it'll probably offend him.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the only machine in existence,move on if he won't come down to market prices. Lots of people have a great memory for what they paid,not so good a sense of what it's worth now....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
IDX and cudamark have good input. That's a ... uh ... "dated" machine. Good for it's time, but there are better machines now. It's a faster swing (in motion disc.) that the current breeds of detectors. There are machines that see through/around better, and go deeper.

I haven't looked at the going rates (ebay, etc...) of those , but am thinking that $450 is too high. You can get naked explorers sometimes for less than that!

ewtaylor

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a black box whites eagle spectrum back in 91 or 92. Paid $750 new from kellyco. Loved it. Was in the Navy when I bought it and took it with me. Had it 10 years and sold it for about $600 on ebay. I see them on there from time to time for maybe $250. You can get a used garrett at pro for less than $450 now.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was going to get a AT Pro a month or so back for $400, but I had to drive 2.5 hours one way to get it

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody have any thoughts on a Fisher F2, pinpointer, extra coil, coil cover, gloves, and hand trowel for $152, or a Garrett Ace 400 with pinpointer and trowel for $300

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that owns a F2. He does pretty good with it. Think he's had it for about 5 year's now. Can't help with the ace.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the guy with that white Spectrum told me that he would sell it for 275 today, and also might ship it to me because our schedules are conflicting. But I found that Fisher F2 that has a whole bunch of stuff for 150. All of my metal detectors are for gold, so I really don't have a whole lot of knowledge into detectors for coins and Relics. And Garrett ace 400 comes with some extras too, but I feel like his price is pretty much the brand new price. I don't know how much he would be willing to negotiate.

I need a mentor in this hobby LOL

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather have the Spectrum over the F2.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if really clean - ive seen them go for around that - I still use mine and still do good with it at spots where
guys with expensive newer machines have gone - friend of mine sold one for about that a year ago - his was in great shape

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay so this is what it all boils down to. I can get that White's Spectrum for $275. Or I can get a Garrett Ace 400 with a pin pointer, a control box cover, a coil cover, a little belt pouch, and a metal serrated trowel for $300. And lastly I can get a new in box White's treasure Pro with a pinpointer and headphones for $400. Those are the three that I'm leaning towards, but there's always that Fisher F2, and I also found $785. It's the pro package, and supposedly has the factory battery charge. I just don't have that money.

But, I just found a different Whites treasure pro for $225. That sounds way better than the new one for $400 with pin pointer. Any advice would be great. All my research and knowledge is with nugget detectors.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rather than just see what is out there and pick, why not research to know what it is you want then find one?

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have researched. Like everything, they all have their pros and cons. I was hoping somebody on here had operated more than one and could give some insight as to how they compared, or how they would compare head to head. Another problem is, when it comes to YT reviews, or other online reviews, a lot of times those people are getting paid to give a certain review instead of their real opinions.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it never hurts to ask, hope you find what you want

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided that I'm going to get the whites treasure pro w/Headphones and sand sifter for $225, and the Garrett Ace 400 with coil cover, control box cover, belt pouch, headphones, and trowel for $300. I couldn't decide, so I'll get both. I just sold a rifle and custom made a walking stick for somebody. I was going to use some of that money to build my foundry, but I'll wait on that.

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
For that much ..you can get a AT Pro...Great little machine...Water proof too.....It will do what both those do and more.....

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've decided that I'm going to get the whites treasure pro w/Headphones and sand sifter for $225, and the Garrett Ace 400 with coil cover, control box cover, belt pouch, headphones, and trowel for $300. I couldn't decide, so I'll get both. I just sold a rifle and custom made a walking stick for somebody. I was going to use some of that money to build my foundry, but I'll wait on that.

For that kind of money it's better to buy (1) a more high end metal detector then the 2 you want to buy. This will give you much better results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions