No More Depth!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Well, yes and no. I can think of places where I would love to get another inch or two, while retaining good TID at the same time. Some parks I can think of where it's all-we-can-do to reach the turn-of-century losses. Ie.: barbers and worn seateds. Yet we know the park was in heavy use as far back as the 1870s. And seeing as how the coin depths were always correlated/stratified to age (ie.: the older-the-deeper), then it stands to reason that if we could *just* punch a little deeper, then perhaps we'd get the seateds :)

But in other places I agree with you: There comes a point where your time is better spent covering more ground, rather than spending that precious time digging coins to nearly 2 ft. deep. Esp. in places where depth has no correlation to age or value.

Just depends on the site.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty content digging 9 to 10" deep targets. My deepest target dug was a piece of mangled lead pipe at 14".

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I just as soon have all my targets as close to the surface as possible. From a digging standpoint anyway. I do realize that some of the older coins are deep so that keeps me diggin.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Almost none of the detectors today can detect coins past 14" & that's with no ID, or ID jumping all over. Most won't dig everything in a place still in use. I only dig things that give what may be an accurate ID, so my deepest coins have only been 7" & I started 1976 and have used about 50 detectors. I don't use a big shovel. Was the writer of that article really in the hobby or a professional archaeologist? Sounded liked they believed most detectors would soon go down about 2-3 feet. There are strict limitations on what detectors are allowed to do, both in transmit power and antenna gain.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Almost none of the detectors today can detect coins past 14" & that's with no ID, or ID jumping all over. Most won't dig everything in a place still in use. I only dig things that give what may be an accurate ID, so my deepest coins have only been 7" & I started 1976 and have used about 50 detectors. I don't use a big shovel. Was the writer of that article really in the hobby or a professional archaeologist? Sounded liked they believed most detectors would soon go down about 2-3 feet. There are strict limitations on what detectors are allowed to do, both in transmit power and antenna gain.

Good post George. Yes: The laws of physics are a booger. Ie.: there is a point of diminishing returns. Beyond with ... no amount of "faster and smaller" solves.

As for the "14 inches": I have seen a fellow, in our area, using a Sov. Wot combo on the beach. Able to get zinc pennies, quarters, etc... to deeper than that (16" ?) and have accurate "call". But there are downsides to such a warbly contraption. They would probably not be able to replicate that to any degree in a junky land site (ie.: the targets have to be spaced out). And the pinpointing is an absolute bear ! (except on the beach where holes are less of an issue).

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I routinely recover silver coins and other items, like gold & silver rings and older silver religious crosses, etc., deeper then 14", and I seldom use my aftermarket larger coils in order to do it. I know, a lot of guys don't believe that, but then again, I'm not the only one doing it. :thumbsup:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I routinely recover silver coins and other items, like gold & silver rings and older silver religious crosses, etc., deeper then 14", and I seldom use my aftermarket larger coils in order to do it. I know, a lot of guys don't believe that, but then again, I'm not the only one doing it. :thumbsup:

I'm a big believer that soil condition is huge. Can make a great detector look not so great. IMO

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big believer that soil condition is huge. Can make a great detector look not so great. IMO

Very true. On the other hand, sometimes, initially we're not even actually detecting the item but rather the soil conditions built up around it, or above it.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If I had my "druthers," I would prefer enhanced sensitivity over enhanced depth. I hunt mainly on central Florida beaches so separation and sensitivity is more useful/preferable to this 69 year old than digging 20+ inches for who knows what....the big reason you'll not find a PI machine in my house. :D

Just the personal view from my foxhole...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say I would like deeper, and don't really mind digging.

Also if you want a 5 inch coil drop me a line,

Crazy .. I helped a guy with his machine and guess what he sent me..

A BBS Cors 5 inch

Got it today. Thank you, Sir! :thumbsup:
DSC_6845.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread