new metal detector shelf life

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've been planning on purchasing a new detector, and really gearing for the white's dfx. of course i had to save my money and i'm sure i'm making a good choice. my question is there are so many dealers out there, some small, some very large, how long do you think an unsold metal detector remains on the shelf waiting to be sold? do dealers switch out unsold machines for fresh ones? is the detector i'll be purchasing will have sat on the shelf for four or five years? or does it make a difference until it's finally turned on? if anyone knows let me know.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
detectors ain't milk they don't go sour by just sitting around--- and really are not hurt by just sitting around like a car is -- newer models vs old models of the same type due to upgraded models over the years (1st gen/2nd gen model type stuff) yah theres a differance about that but in that case make sure the dealer that you use is honest(batteries might be a problem but thats a easy fix --change em -- Ivan

T

Tall-paul

i dont think it would make any difference how long it sat on a shelf, unless it was in a window and suffering from the direct sunlight which would pale down the plastic and emblems and possibley make some components a bit frail and brittle, but back on a shelf in a shaded airconditioned store i doubt it.i had a whites years ago and never used it for like 4 years it gatherd some dust i pulled it out one day wiped it down popped a new batt in a nd it was sweet and i know the guy who still uses it today i sold it to him, also it depends on where you go to buy one some places have a great turn around, and are quite new in respect of being sat there too long. if your buying one that has been out of the box and on display you should get a deal for ex display model, but you're proberly looking at mail order then you wont know, if it comes sealed in the box and all instructions and all the extras are there and its cleaned and shiney you should have a good one.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
jrpoppapump said:
i've been planning on purchasing a new detector, and really gearing for the white's dfx. of course i had to save my money and i'm sure i'm making a good choice. my question is there are so many dealers out there, some small, some very large, how long do you think an unsold metal detector remains on the shelf waiting to be sold? do dealers switch out unsold machines for fresh ones? is the detector i'll be purchasing will have sat on the shelf for four or five years? or does it make a difference until it's finally turned on? if anyone knows let me know.

This is a good question and one I've thought about a lot.

1st off, the amount of time a detector is on the shelf (in a sealed box) means very little as long as it's kept at an acceptable temperature and humidity level.

There are detectors 30 years old that work as good as new. Today's components last a very long time if not abused.

Now, the $64,000 question really is: Does a particular dealer properly care for his stock? I would say in most cases the answer would be yes. However, some unseen sellers (ebay, etc.) may be selling out of a black mold infested damp basement. I mean, if you don't know the person you can be getting most anything.

Whenever I buy a new machine (happens a lot), I buy mostly from dealers who come highly recommend to me by TreasureNet Forum members or other THer friends. I want to deal with someone with a real SERVICE store if possible. By SERVICE store I mean a shop setup to handle (not ignore) any unforeseen probelms that may arise.

Many otherwise "good" dealers refuse to back their merchandise after a sale.

A couple years ago I bought a new Tesoro DeLeon and pinpointer (one of those Sherlocks) from a major online detector dealer out of New York. The detector was fine but the pinpointer was a piece of junk. I contacted him and all I got was the address of the importer. I sent it in to them and never saw a refund or my pinpoint again.

Any good seller will back the products he sells. You shouldn't have to send a brand new detector into the factory on your own. If you just took it out of the box it should work or the dealer should pay for all shipping costs and get a new one to you. You paid for a new machine, not a used one! There are lots of dealers who play this trick on people.

Here's what I do now.

I write to a dealer and ask these questions before I buy:

1) Do you personally guarantee this detector will work properly when I receive it?
2) If it is defective, will you pay all expenses (shipping, etc.) to replace it with another new machine?
3) How long after I receive this detector will you cover it?
4) Do you guarantee that this is a factory new detector and not a demonstrator or refurbished item?

Some times dealers won't even bother to write back. Those that do and agree, ask around about them. Don't be in too much of a hurry. Get several good reports on a seller before you pick him. Some people praise someone they never had to really deal with over some problem (these guys always seem nice).

Best of luck!

Badger

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
These are good questions. In my case i've owned 3 detectors, my most recent being a Minelab Sovereign. What got me was the next year they came out with the GT! I spent 700 bucks and got last years model! By the way Minelabs don't spoil, it's Whites you have to sniff them alittle bit, if something does'nt smell right set it down and grab a Minelab. If it smells alright, set it down and grab a Minelab.
Just kidding Whites are fine, I don't know Kirk but that was for him! Just buy an above average one and you won't wind up with one like my second one. That way you can skip some of the rungs on the ladder, and save 4 or 5 hundred bucks.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
The dealer I buy from sells alot of units so his machines don't set on the shelf very long. If you don't have batteries in a unit it would be ok for many years. I have dealt with this same dealer for over 30 years. If you are interested I can give you his T. No.

Les

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of detectors around here and every now and then I run across one I haven't used in, well ...I usually can't recall!

I'll pull it out of the closet and put some batteries in and off I go. I have yet to have one fail. I wouldn't worry about it.

mirage hunter

Jun 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 PRO XL
As long as it is in a good dry environment and the batteries were not left in the unit! I dont think it will matter My machine sat for 3 1/2 years I just started using it again this year and it is like brand new still!!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
my xlt from a local dealer is 12 years old,no problems.
above posts are good.

Billiard Rich

Sep 23, 2006
Crestwood, IL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Last winter I received a message from a guy who noticed I used an IDX Pro. He had a few questions. Then he mentioned that he had just bought his IDX Pro from a detector store which charged him like $600. When I told the guy the IDX Pro was introduced in the mid-90's and as far as I knew, wasn't being produced any more, he was a surprised. It was new and worked fine, (don't know if it was in a sealed box or not) but I was a little shocked by the price. He could have bought an M6 for about the price.

Do you think the dealer treated him right? Should the dealer have given him a big break on the price?

mirage hunter

Jun 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 PRO XL
He should have marked it down for as the unit although new maybe! It was not a current model. It gets hard to sell items that are not current year especially when he is trying to get the money current models are going for. I do mark downs in my shop on last year models to clear them out and to make room for new models.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread