Looking for a good charger for electrolysis on my iron. Any suggestions?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the size of the job, a simple DC power adaptor will work fine. Larger items like and axe head or larger, you may want to use a 12V battery charger. A vinegar bath or Evaporust works good on iron too.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on the size of the job, a simple DC power adaptor will work fine. Larger items like and axe head or larger, you may want to use a 12V battery charger. A vinegar bath or Evaporust works good on iron too.

Not baking soda?

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a great article
Rust Removal Using Electrolysis

Also aquachigger has a good video on electrolysis

Cheers
0B710865-3A2F-4DC9-ACB9-44B8BD217314.jpeg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not baking soda?

You use the baking soda to neutralize the vinegar after a good soak. Vinegar (and lemon juice) are a mild acid. Baking soda is alkali, which will stop the acidic action.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
My wife collects cast iron cookware and I get the privilege of cleaning it. I built a electrolysis tank. I use a 12v battery charger and arm and hammer washing soda. Arm and hammer washing soda is a sodium carbonate as baking soda is a sodium BI-carbonate, You can put bi-carbonate into an oven and cook it at 200 degrees for an hour and convert it to a carbonate. The battery charger needs to be powerful enough to get the job done speedily. I use a SCHUMACHER SE-5212A-CA Smart Charger,50/10/2A. It runs at nearly 10 amp continuous which make for a faster cleaning cycle. Make sure the charger is a manual charger as the automatic chargers don't work for electrolysis. I clean several skillets at a time so I use a big tank. Electrolysis is the best way to clean cast iron.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife collects cast iron cookware and I get the privilege of cleaning it. I built a electrolysis tank. I use a 12v battery charger and arm and hammer washing soda. Arm and hammer washing soda is a sodium carbonate as baking soda is a sodium BI-carbonate, You can put bi-carbonate into an oven and cook it at 200 degrees for an hour and convert it to a carbonate. The battery charger needs to be powerful enough to get the job done speedily. I use a SCHUMACHER SE-5212A-CA Smart Charger,50/10/2A. It runs at nearly 10 amp continuous which make for a faster cleaning cycle. Make sure the charger is a manual charger as the automatic chargers don't work for electrolysis. I clean several skillets at a time so I use a big tank. Electrolysis is the best way to clean cast iron.

Halfstep Iโ€™m gonna do it. Another layer of my MD obsession I guess. Lol Thank buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread