Ctx vs Etrac please help?

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
They still repair Sunray Probes!....Got mine for life!!! About nine of them!

Last edited:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I am surprised that they still sell that one. I looked at the 2500 when I bought my XLT. Was that 20 years ago?

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Etrac and Sunray probe, not to mention a lot of coils; but if I were starting out, between the two, if money were no object, I would probably choose the CTX, just because its design is a few years newer. I also have the Equinox, Minelab's newest multifrequency machine, which gives so much bang for the buck that you really might want to consider it. The Etrac gives more accurate ID and depth info than the Nox (this would also be true for the CTX, maybe more so), and I prefer the Etrac for coins if iron is not too much of a problem; however, the Nox is very good on separation and unmasking in trashy iron-filled ground and will find coins (and other things) where the ET/CTX are nulled out. And the Nox is wireless and waterproof, with a great display, and very light (compared to the ET/CTX). Relic hunters in particular really seem to like it. Depending on where you hunt and what kind of hunting is most important to you, it might be worthwhile taking a look at the reports on the Nox. While no one but Minelab knows, I suspect the Nox is probably the scaled-down version of what will be the next machine in the Explorer/ET/CTX line.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Waterscoop you can't go wrong with an Equinox

I have both the 800 and 600 and they are the best detectors there are out of the box on the market. They are awesome. I have found in excess of $115 in clad and two rings in less than 30 days. Great depth and great target separation. Simple to use and simple to discriminate. Great for all kinds of detecting.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an E-Trac I put in mothballs after I bought my Equinox.. Not sure what I will do with it but haven't used it since I bought the Equinox 800 & 600

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had etrac for 3yrs, found alone of great find just recently got an equinox and got rid of my etrac so let's see happens

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread