Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would i do? Depends on if the owner is a woman and if she is good looking! If both those two criteria are met, i will do just about anything within the limits of the law! Then again, if the property is old enough, i might be tempted to hit a new low.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like how low Ammoman, older the yard lower the 10 scale?:laughing7: I dread asking anymore. I asked when small game hunting for years and a good ploy when you wanted to come back to the place we would offer beer or a good ham, something they like. land owners are rightfully leary now it's a lot harder. I've got a couple M/D prospects that i don't want to screw up so am looking for mutual friends that can break the ice. Bring a kid as that helps. My grandson could care less about detecting but i bribe him with his favorite burger joint to go with me.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've brought my kid along when I ask. It is hard to say no when you have hopeful little eyes staring at you.....

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like how low Ammoman, older the yard lower the 10 scale?:laughing7:.

I can go low...Limbo low, So low i would have to stand on a nickel tooooo...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go and ask. No cammies or provocative t-shirts. Be low key. If you ask 10 owners and get one yes, that's 10%. 100 asks will get 10 yesses. Do not offer 50/50 split. They will follow you around like a puppy dog to make sure they get their cut. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can go low...Limbo low, So low i would have to stand on a nickel tooooo...

How low for me? Low enough to look up at a nickel on the ground. ╦╦Ç

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats LOW! Welcome to the do anything for a dime club!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I try to find the owners outside so I can strike up a conversation, just some small talk, and if I see they are senior citizens and it appears that they have some yard work to be done, I offer to help. Afterwards is when I ask for permission. I have helped an older gentleman out who has a bad back, I helped clean out an apartment for him. His yard gave up the most IHP's I ever pulled at one site. For 3 hours of labor I was allowed to hunt his yard for a 3 month period. Most don't want to keep anything and like TerryC stated never offer 50/50 split or else the owner will be hovering over you. If they seem interested in the history of the area I usually offer up a relic or 2. I had one owner give me permission with one stipulation and that was if I found 2 old coins of the same type, that he'd want the less valuable one. Needless to say that is the yard I dug the 1877 IHP. He got a thank you card with an IHP inside. There was another yard where I dug about 4 bucket listers. I also dug enough clad to cover a 6 pack of the owners beer of choice, just as a thank you. He didn't ask me for anything, but I was so elated at the amount of quality finds from his property that I just had to offer up the 6 pack.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Loco, we've been none too leave beer on the door step of a few of our permissions, if we know that is their thing. We have even taking a bottle of whiskey to a man that likes it, too try and get permission for his property. It joins one that we hunt a lot, but so far it's not worked out.
We always try to put together a small relic box for the land owners and that has went a long ways to let the neighbors know what kind of people we are.
We'll do the right thing to get a permission on good ground, but this world is too big to beg for it.
When I get rejected, I just tell myself.... next, and move on.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread