People Think Finding Lots of Pull Tabs Is A Bad Thing... It's Actually a Good Thing

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key is they have to be the 70s pull tabs.

If you are finding lots of these you are in a spot that has not been metal detected much if at all in the past 50 years. Since most people want gold they opt to dig and remove pull tabs.

I am at a spot where I can find dozens of 70s style pull tabs in a 400 foot square area. I have dug so many pull tabs I think I'm going to turn into a pull tab.

BUT GUESS WHAT!

I only have about 20-30 hours of metal detecting experience under my belt, have a cheap Bounty Hunter IV, and yet I have found 6 rings (one gold, 4 silver, and one class ring) several pieces of costume jewelry, about $10 in coin, and almost 100 fishing sinkers.

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with you... I know a spot in an old park that I will get three to four pulltab signals for every sweep of the coil. I really need to take a small area and dig every signal and see what surfaces! Glad you have done well with your technique!

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ookla, I have a plan to travel back in time and delete the man who invents pulltabs. Then, in his place I will convince the beverage container manufacturer's to use gold instead of aluminum to make the pulltab rings. Seems like a win-win situation for all, no?

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine if 70s type pull tabs never were banned... metal detecting today would be so so so much harder if not damn near impossible.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key is they have to be the 70s pull tabs.

If you are finding lots of these you are in a spot that has not been metal detected much if at all in the past 50 years. Since most people want gold they opt to dig and remove pull tabs.

I am at a spot where I can find dozens of 70s style pull tabs in a 400 foot square area. I have dug so many pull tabs I think I'm going to turn into a pull tab.

BUT GUESS WHAT!

I only have about 20-30 hours of metal detecting experience under my belt, have a cheap Bounty Hunter IV, and yet I have found 6 rings (one gold, 4 silver, and one class ring) several pieces of costume jewelry, about $10 in coin, and almost 100 fishing sinkers.

You have to balance it out. Parts of this park I go to, near the picnic tables, you will get like 50 million hits per every foot.

I am detecting in an area where the water has receded and where when there was water it was just above people's heads. That forces people to tread water. Cold water makes the fingers shrink and shrivel up and in combination with slippery sunblock the rings just float right off.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My train of thought on tabs over the years is if I'm working an area with a lot of tabs, and dig them, I'll eventually hit all the goodies others passed over due to tabs. It's worked for me a lot of times. No, I'm not insane I'll pass over the areas around picnic tables, you know where it's a solid carpet of them. Slow down and dig the tabs, there's some little whispers below them. They do have value! They have scrap value. Turn em in with your cans.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Interesting article talking about Pull Tabs...

Here are five facts about pull tabs:

• A million tabs would weigh about 800 pounds. It takes more than 1,200 tabs to equal a pound. And about 63,360 pull tabs laid out would be a mile.
  • The program in Akron kicked off about five years ago, Skiera said. Ronald McDonald House of Akron uses Metalico Annaco of Akron for its recycling.
  • Skiera said the Akron program brings in about $4,000 a year, with a rate of about 55 cents per pound. "That number will fluctuate based on the value of metal," said Skiera, who added the rate floats between 30 and 75 cents.
  • Daniel F. Cudzik of Reynolds Metals Co. invented the tab in use today. He received a patent in 1976. His stay-on tab replaced the ring tab, which was invented in 1965. And yes, as long as they are aluminum, the old ring tabs are accepted today, Skiera said.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least one of the reference guides to beer can identification shows the evolution of the pulltab. I don't care about the "collectable" beer cans except for the cold ones in my fridge, but I remember what the earliest pulltabs looked like and when dug, I view them as a good indicator to the days when silver still circulated. I remember when clad junk was first introduced and people started to keep them because is was something new. I converted everything I had to silver, including silver dollars for worn silver certificates, and people thought that was just nuts.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's not to like about old pulltabs?

When I was a kid in the 70's those pulltabs were everywhere but silver was not. So a carpet of pulltabs doesn't necessarily mean silver is in the area. It means it is an older party site but may be just clad around.

OP
OP
AusTexDude

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's not to like about old pulltabs?

When I was a kid in the 70's those pulltabs were everywhere but silver was not. So a carpet of pulltabs doesn't necessarily mean silver is in the area. It means it is an older party site but may be just clad around.

This is a dried up swimming hole and party spot. When there was water there I am finding all the rings in areas where the water would have been typically over chest deep.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finding these in a few places.
20180605_180313.jpg

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find those I also usually find silver. Thanks for posting the link.

Last edited:

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I like. But the OP is ring hunting and doing a good job of it from the sounds of it. Pics are always good too. ;)

But if I recall the zip tops come in lower on the scale than the 70s style beaver tails... depending on how much of it is actually there. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions