Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a spot where I know a large gold and diamond ring for a man was lost about 40 years ago. I've talked to a few people who know the story and area and have it narrowed down to a section of tall grass about 60 feet by 40 feet, assuming their recollection is accurate.

Here's what I'm asking for guidance on: The soil in that area is fairly sandy as it is near the delta area of southeast Arkansas. It's dirt, but has some sandy texture to it. The ground has not been worked with equipment, so it's essentially the same other than what mother nature has done to it. Given that it's a fairly heavy ring in that soil in an area that gets a decent amount of rain, how far might the ring have sunk into the soil?

Unfortunately, there are cans that have been pitched back into the field over the years, so I am hitting those. They are shallow, so I'm working on how to best use my AT Pro to ignore shallower targets, assuming the ring is deeper.

Any thoughts, guidance, etc.? This is a pretty hefty piece of treasure I'd love to pull out, so help is appreciated!

Cheers! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s a big mans gold ring, it’s gonna ring up between 50-70’s on the At pro. I wouldn’t dig everything first go. I wouldn’t discriminate at all. Hunt pro zero on the Pro and find that beauty! Good luck and keep us posted.

I'll post it for sure with a reminder it's the one this group helped me find. :occasion14:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I was asked in 1998 to look for a silver dollar that was thrown across a road into tall grass in 1960. The grass was now mowed short and I found it on the third pass of my grid pattern. The 1921 beauty was down 6" after 38 years.

It won't be easy with the tall grass. Go slow and good luck!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth, I was asked in 1998 to look for a silver dollar that was thrown across a road into tall grass in 1960. The grass was now mowed short and I found it on the third pass of my grid pattern. The 1921 beauty was down 6" after 38 years.

It won't be easy with the tall grass. Go slow and good luck!

Thanks! Appreciate the perspective and well wishes.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find it Murphy says it will be under three beers cans

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert but I think it would be a bad idea to discriminate based on depth. There could be a number of natural and artificial factors that prevent a ring from going to the depth you'd expect for the time period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread