I need a Detecting Tutor...

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m usually good at figuring stuff out on my own and Iā€™ll eventually figure out how to use my CTX 3030 proficiently, but I would love to have just one day hunting with someone who really knows what they are doing and doesnā€™t mind answering newbie questions. There are no clubs near me and the closest detector dealer (I wonā€™t say the name) is 1.5 hours from me and I had a very bad buying experience from them, so no help there. I bought the Andy Sabisch book and read it twice. It was a huge help, but not the same as being taught in the field by someone that knows what theyā€™re doing. I live in Charlestown, Indiana (near Louisville, KY). If any experienced diggers out there are willing to meet up with me for a day of hunting and teaching, Iā€™d be grateful.

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I can't be of any real help here of the type you ask for, all I could suggest IF you have not already done so, is the sub form for metal detectors, Minelab, then 3030, a lot of fella's on it could and would be willing to answer any and all questions you might have just for that machine. Again, you may have already done so Callred, but this is all I can offer up here to your thread.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Currentā€¦.Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Pastā€¦.Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,Iā€™m closer than sprailroad but still not close enough! Letā€™s start with the question...what do you feel youā€™re having trouble with? When someone is ā€œhaving issuesā€ it almost always has to do with not finding what they want to find! And the cause of THAT almost always has to do with not being in the right site. Is this correct?
Tell us whats on your mind,just to get started.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Gold Monster 1000, Garrett Propointer AT, and Gold Duster drywasher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. My biggest challenge is I have a lot of joint/back problems, so even though Iā€™d like to ā€œdig every signalā€, I physically canā€™t. I like to cherry pick my targets and I thought a more experienced digger might be able to help me learn good sinals from bad quicker than the old ā€œtrial and error method ā€œ. I think a few hours with someone showing me what a good target looks/sounds like vs a bad target would really help shorten the CTX learning curve for me. I have the general idea and I improve each time I hunt, but just looking to dig fewer junk holes. I have access to some good sites (dating from late 1700ā€™s/early 1800ā€™s). Suggestions?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you hunting? If it's not a sensitive area, you might want to get a T-handled shovel for digging. It helps avoid the many ups and downs recovering a target. It's hard to take short cuts and not miss good targets. Time in the field is the best teacher. Balancing target I.D. with sound and depth is about the only way to tell good from bad. It's hard to project that to someone else. Start with basic programs and settings and expand out from there depending on the site. Any time I hit a new site, I dig all targets for a while just to see if the machine is accurate and telling me what I need to know before deciding to dig. Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Passing "junk" will result in missing decent recoveries ,and more ,sometimes miss what is below the junk.

You can clear junk from a small area of a site over time by digging all for as many recoveries as you can tolerate ,(a half dozen recoveries in a yard square each visit equals a larger cleared area over time...).

IF you are bound and determined to cherry pick ,make yourself a "test garden" to practice on. Different items different depths ,labeled or charted as to what it is and how deep and in what position. You can then leave those targets buried.. Compare results of how they ring up in varied conditions,moist ,dry soil, coin on edge ,nail head facing up,nail with coin below it ,bottle cap ,pull tab ,wad of foil, freshly buried vs buried a year ,two years , ect..

Depending on what you want to recover ,gold can give you fits trying to tell where it rings up. It just plain varies.
So too thin chains.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Callred1975,

There are many videos (YouTube, Minelab...etc) on the CTX 3030, this may be a great starting point. About the target tones, I would (if you do not have one already) build a test bed in your yard. Use modern coins, silver coins, some jewelry and relics; place them at various depths (perhaps add some co-related or nails in some holes to learn how the sound) and adjust the machine to "hit" them the hardest for your hunting conditions.

Good Luck with your new machine! :icon_thumleft:

Doc

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice everyone. I already have a T-handle Lesche Sampson and it does help. Looks like Iā€™ll Just have to stick with trial and error until I find someone local to help teach me. Like I said, I get a little more proficient with the CTX each time I use it. Iā€™m making a test garden this week and Iā€™m sure that will help too. Also, Iā€™ll watch more YouTube videos. Thanks again!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on what your targets are, Callred. If you are hunting coins, you can set up a program using a combined tone pattern with the bins set for specific target I'D ranges: e.g. nickels, copper/silver, etc.. You could also set up a disc pattern to knock out a lot of trash. Of course, if you're relic or beach hunting, that's going to involve digging more trash. For some people though, all that extra target recovery can be physically out of the question.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Callred. Hereā€™s a video I did a couple of weeks ago. I dig three targets in this video,pay attention to EVERYTHING that happens on target number TWO. This is what someone who is new with the CTX,IMHO,should be looking for. It is not a whopping ā€œblow your ears offā€ signal,but it does everything correctly. Notice how once I acquire the signal,the FIRST thing I do is to find the center of the target by sweeping exactly as shown. You want to center it to get the best target ID and depth indication.
Knowing that with an 11ā€ coil you are going to be able to ā€œseeā€ an 8-9ā€ coin in average soil,you can do the lift test as shown also to help determine whether or not the object is coin sized to begin with. If you have centered the target and you have a depth reading of 5ā€,you should not be able to raise the coil(while sweeping) any further than another 6-7ā€ off the ground before it goes away. This is ON AVERAGE,looking for coins no bigger than quarter size. If you have a good repeating target with good numbers,the depth meter says 7ā€ deep and you can still get a solid signal at 10ā€ off the ground?....Not a coin...ON AVERAGE. The very essence of cherry picking(I call it ā€œintelligent huntingā€) is to NOT dig every signal you hear...this is about COIN HUNTING,and nothing else! The CTX has what is arguably the best target ID ever known to man,use it! What the machine is telling you,along with the basics of detecting,can make you come home with what you want,each and every time.
I have another video done regarding NOT digging up large objects unnecessarily...Iā€™ll try to get it uploaded in a day or two. Until then,have fun! The first two targets in the video are found using a ā€œtrashy parkā€ type pattern and High Trash target separation. The third is another location using Ferrous Coin separation. After awhile(and I mean AWHILE!) you will learn to gauge your locations and what settings/separation options/sensitivity you should be running. It takes time. Try to learn something every time out,you will be successful if you do so.
If you donā€™t have the health to dig everything you hear(and I think thatā€™s a bad idea anyway in public places-an old farm site might be a better place for that) then you have the perfect machine. You CAN go dig coins and little else. But you canā€™t dig a signal you know damn well probably ISNT a coin and then be disappointed that...it isnā€™t a coin! I donā€™t go deer hunting and come home with a duck because itā€™s all I saw! Some of my sites are SO cleaned out that I might hunt for two hours and never dig a target. Thatā€™s ME. But Iā€™ll never be the guy out rototilling a property because itā€™s all I have to do,because it certainly is not all I have to do...

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the excellent advice and instructional video IDX. Thatā€™s exactly the type of information I need. Iā€™m mainly interested in coin shooting, so all the info you provided applies to the type of detecting I want to do. I started my test garden today and itā€™s very fortunate that you just happen to inform me that the CTX will ā€œseeā€ a coin sized target up to 8 inches deep in average soil. I was worried there was something wrong with my machine, because I buried my first 3 coin test targets (silver dime, silver nickel, and wheat penny) 6-7 inches deep and my CTX was having difficulty consistently finding the dime. I was expecting maximum depth detection to be closer to 12 inches. So, itā€™s normal for 7-8 inch maximum depth detection for a dime? The soil in my yard is slightly mineralized (and a little damp) so it wasnā€™t ā€œidealā€ detecting ground. I know I still need to play with the settings to see if that improves my depth, so Iā€™ll work on that tomorrow. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Also, Iā€™m currently using Sabischā€™s ā€œTraining #2ā€ discrimination pattern (with an almost wide open pattern as my secondary) from his CTX handbook until I learn the machine better.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the coins you will find(for various reasons,including soil conditions,offending trash and simple operator skill) will be 8ā€ or less running ANY kind of sensitivity,most coins just arenā€™t that deep. The machine is absolutely capable of finding a silver dime at 9ā€ deep,and on occasion a bit deeper. But conditions would have to be optimal,with the stock coil. As you gain experience and are able to start running higher sensitivity and STILL UNDERSTAND WHAT YOURE HEARING(decipher a ā€œfalseā€ signal from a ā€œgoodā€ signal) then those deeper,weaker signals will come into view. Donā€™t worry about depth so much as understanding and being able to determine with a great amount of certainty that the target youā€™ve found is indeed a coin. Hunting SUPER deep coins(9-12ā€ deep) is for another day.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.
But to clarify... I donā€™t need to send my CTX to Minelab for service, because it wonā€™t consistently ā€œfindā€ the 8 inch dime? I understand what youā€™re saying about not concentrating on the deep stuff until I learn the CTX, but I just want to be sure I donā€™t have a defective machine and itā€™s my inexperience thatā€™s the problem.

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I performed an air test and only got 8-9 inches maximum depth on a quarter. Is that normal? I had the discrimination wide open, auto +3, I did a noise reduction, ground balance is off.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I performed an air test and only got 8-9 inches maximum depth on a quarter. Is that normal? I had the discrimination wide open, auto +3, I did a noise reduction, ground balance is off.

Yes, air tests (and freshly buried coins) are not a strong point on FBS Minelab machines. They will find coins deeper than that in virgin ground with a nice halo built up. In favorable ground, I've found dimes at over 12" and quarters at 18".

OP
OP
Callred1975

Callred1975

Apr 21, 2017
Charlestown, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! I was worried that my machine was defective. Now I know itā€™s just my lack of experience. Thanks Cudamark. Now that you mention it, I remember reading in Andy Sabischā€™s book about newly buried objects giving off a fainter signal vs older buried items due to the ā€œhalo effectā€. I dug up and buried my test targets a little shallower (4-5inches). I get good solid readings on all items now. Iā€™m gonna collect some more target items and bury them at various depths and with iron/aluminum trash nearby. This will make it easier for me to practice and learn my CTX without all the excess digging.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what Cuda said...the two things youā€™re doing your tests with are the two things FBS machines seem to dislike. An air test offers no ground reference input. Just go spend as much time as humanly possible with the machine. Whether youā€™re running Auto sensivity or manual sensitivity,make SURE that you can audibly understand what is going on. Running manual sensitivity too high for the conditions will cause all kinds of sporadic falsing,and that is 100% guaranteed to get you absolutely NOWHERE.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Callred...I felt exactly the same way a couple of years ago when I first got my Etrac. After about 20 hours, I was looking for a tree to wrap it around. Same boat...no one in the area with one, or willing to have me tag along. Like you, however, I kept plugging (no pun intended) away, and all of a sudden, one day, what I'd read and the numerous different settings I'd tried finally 'clicked'! I'd been working an old football field for probably the 9th or 10th time...pulling nothing but shallow clad when it happened. That day, when it finally sunk in, I walked out with a silver GW, 3 Mercs, a buff and two wheaties...all at 6"+. šŸ˜ It. Will. Happen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread