Whats going to be your next new detector?

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's going to be your next new detector?

Treasure_Hunter said:
bootybay said:
I am thinking of...a good totally can wet water detector just for the beaches. which one..no clue yet.

A Minelab E-X-C-A-L-I-B-U-R ;)

well me thinks maybe thats a good idea-er eh..... lol

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

Yup, I would like an Excaliber too. If I had one of those, I think I would have most of the bases covered. I might even use my boat again, seeing how this new hobby seemed to make me forget about fishing.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Muleskinner, I know what you mean about forgetting about fishing. If I go out in the boat now I am only wondering what's under the sand and mud at the shoreline.

As for which water detector, there is only one, Excal 1000 for wading. Tiger Shark comes in second.

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX

I tried water detecting this summer with my Ace and got hooked. I'm saving for a Tiger Shark for next season (the water gets really hard in the winter in Wisconsin...).

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

I wonder if some people realize that a Minelab DD widescan 10" coil is not the same as a White's, Fisher, Minelab, or Garrett, etc 7" to 9.5 concentric coil? The former (the DD) has a wider search pattern and the other is conical in it's search pattern and designed to cherry-pick better than the former.

It's exactly like comparing apples to oranges: I suppose I could compare my cz with it's 8" concentric to my White's PI with it's single coil but that wouldn't be quite right. If I put an 8" DD coil on my Tejon I could compare it to my bootleg "Super Compass" 8" R&C, the one that runs on steroids with it's tuned coil with a tuneable circuit board inside it (actually there are Federal regulations that limit radiation power on [new] metal detectors, but I don't care because my tuned one gives me more power to the ground) , but that wouldn't quite cut it either. The Tejon would be beaten so severely with both detectors having equal coils that all Tejon owners who saw it happen might wind up trading theirs for something else.

I see a lot of comparisons putting two entirely different types of detectors with two different types of coils against each other and it really makes me wonder if we really ARE at the top of the food chain like we think we are. If I were to buy a new detector I certainly would get one that was unlike what I already had, and especially one that performed better, not the same. Swapping coils makes a HUGE difference in how our detectors behave though. It alone is the biggest determining factor in how our detectors operate.

So far in my test beds most detectors of equal cost behave no better or search deeper than another of equal cost in another brand, save for slight differences in the same models of the [same] brand, and incidentally, Whites and Minelabs are the two most prime examples of this anomoly too. With a very few exceptions, however, some detectors are slower to operate and others do separate targets a bit better than others.

Both Jack Gifford and George Payne write SCROLLS about the differences between DD (widescan) coils and concentric coils, and both explain that DD's work better in bad soils and that concentrics are better cherry pickers, and why. End of the story. It is an electronics reality. Luckily for me I was privelidged to be able to study electronics engineering at OSU for 3 short years. Except for majoring mostly in "campus wildlife" and pushing me away from "way too much studying" it did teach me a bit of reality into how detectors of various types operate, and a little bit of knowledge of their limitations too..

I would chose a Fisher F-75, not because it is better, but because it and the T-2 are different and very lightweight and well-balanced, both having a lot more raw power than anything else (new) on the planet save for a Nexus.. Notice I said "new". I personally like the super sensitivity of an extremely high powered detector like the two above, much like a mathematics professor prefers to teach differential calculous instead of algebra 101 or basic arithmetics. One is boring, the other is always much more interesting and extreme, a real challenge. This is probably the same reason that many people have been fond of the SE and the Expl 2, etc, because it is a challenge for them.

I would chose an Explorer SE or a Quatro ONLY if it had more power and potential than a (super-sensitive) F-75 and operated as quickly, but so far that is not what I'm hearing, reading, or seeing. Writings on paper or a screen do not always represent the real world in metal detectors. Only "hands on" does that. Maybe a finely tuned SE done by a good mod technician could do that, but so far Keith Wills is indisposed to offering a service for that and he is the KING of detector mods, bar none. The F-75 is extremely well-balanced too and that in itself is a plus. Right now I'm with the masses, the F-75 is selling faster lately than any other new detector on the market, including the DFX.

I chose the F-75.

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado

I am still undecided?? ??? ??? ??? ??? I don't know which one to get there are soooooo many to choose from.
I hunt mosly Coin and Relics some time I would like to water hunt.\

Presently I have an Ace 250

Tesoro Tejón
Minelab Sovereign GT

Tesoro Tiger Shark
Minelab Excalibur 1000

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006

In response to a lengthy, undeniably informative, but somewhat snide posting appearing above regarding the comparison of differently engineered detectors and coils to the comparing of apples vs. oranges, I wish to make a few remarks, primarily this: I will not argue with the assertion that comparing different detectors, for the reasons given, can be misleading. However, there is one criterion that overrides everything - for me, anyway - which is this: does detector A, with its stock coil, find more good targets than detector B, with its stock coil, in the same ground, given that the user is equally adept at using both machines and both A and B cost approximately the same? If the answer is yes, then as far as I am concerned, one machine is better than the other, regardless of design. Based upon the aforementioned, and having observed how a Minelab Explorer owner was finding many more coins at the beach than I was with my DFX, along with my discussions with this and another individual who sold their DFX machines for the Minelab, and had no regrets whatsoever, I will continue to recommend that anyone in the market for a DFX should give serious thought to purchasing a Minelab Explorer instead. Issues such as the weight of the machine or its speed in finding targets are secondary to me; if I had to sacrifice lightness of weight and speed in order to find old silver coins at 8" or deeper, I would take such a machine any day. And that machine, I believe, would be the Minelab. There may be machines that are just as good, but I am unfamiliar with them. I have seen what the Minelab can do, and I'm deeply impressed. It outperforms my machine, stock coil versus stock coil. Hoping to find deeper targets, I purchased a larger search coil for my DFX (I believe it's a 12" coil, I forget), but its performance was disappointing. I may do better with another coil for the DFX, but I don't want to gamble. I will ask this, however: does any search coil compatible with the DFX result in a more widescan performance, so that the machine "sees" more of the ground width-wise at greater depths? And if so, would the performance of the DFX then be more similar to that of the Minelab?
Lastly, I wish to make another comparison, and if it's comparing apples to oranges again, then so be it. Many older hi-fi magazines (Consumer's Reports, while more of a generalist magazine, still does this) rated hi-fi components such as amplifiers, preamps, CD players, etc. solely by lab measurements, not by how they actually sounded. I believe that air tests and test gardens used to evaluate metal detectors are inadequate for this purpose, although I am not saying that they have no merit whatsoever. The best test of a detector is how it actually performs in the field. And, I'll say it again - I've seen what the Minelab can do with its stock coil attached. It smokes the DFX. Period.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

silverfinder said:
In response to a lengthy, undeniably informative, but somewhat snide posting appearing above regarding the comparison of differently engineered detectors and coils to the comparing of apples vs. oranges, I wish to make a few remarks, primarily this: I will not argue with the assertion that comparing different detectors, for the reasons given, can be misleading. However, there is one criterion that overrides everything - for me, anyway - which is this: does detector A, with its stock coil, find more good targets than detector B, with its stock coil, in the same ground, given that the user is equally adept at using both machines and both A and B cost approximately the same? If the answer is yes, then as far as I am concerned, one machine is better than the other, regardless of design. Based upon the aforementioned, and having observed how a Minelab Explorer owner was finding many more coins at the beach than I was with my DFX, along with my discussions with this and another individual who sold their DFX machines for the Minelab, and had no regrets whatsoever, I will continue to recommend that anyone in the market for a DFX should give serious thought to purchasing a Minelab Explorer instead. Issues such as the weight of the machine or its speed in finding targets are secondary to me; if I had to sacrifice lightness of weight and speed in order to find old silver coins at 8" or deeper, I would take such a machine any day. And that machine, I believe, would be the Minelab. There may be machines that are just as good, but I am unfamiliar with them. I have seen what the Minelab can do, and I'm deeply impressed. It outperforms my machine, stock coil versus stock coil. Hoping to find deeper targets, I purchased a larger search coil for my DFX (I believe it's a 12" coil, I forget), but its performance was disappointing. I may do better with another coil for the DFX, but I don't want to gamble. I will ask this, however: does any search coil compatible with the DFX result in a more widescan performance, so that the machine "sees" more of the ground width-wise at greater depths? And if so, would the performance of the DFX then be more similar to that of the Minelab?
Lastly, I wish to make another comparison, and if it's comparing apples to oranges again, then so be it. Many older hi-fi magazines (Consumer's Reports, while more of a generalist magazine, still does this) rated hi-fi components such as amplifiers, preamps, CD players, etc. solely by lab measurements, not by how they actually sounded. I believe that air tests and test gardens used to evaluate metal detectors are inadequate for this purpose, although I am not saying that they have no merit whatsoever. The best test of a detector is how it actually performs in the field. And, I'll say it again - I've seen what the Minelab can do with its stock coil attached. It smokes the DFX. Period.

Well it depends what you are looking for....depth I guess you are right explorer...but having a dfx...i do like the flexiblity and options...on an average day I would say 7.5 is max I am going to dig...have had a few deeper signals not many...but my dfx easily paid for itself within a year...by using it... :) ;)

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used

Actually Gregg, and as you say, if a Minelab works best for you then it's a good thing.

This of course was not my point though. My point though was that many people consistently compare wrong combinations of coils and detectors to another mismatched coil and/detector and it produces mostly misleading info. Nobody can compare a Tesoro Vaquero against a DFX or an SE, and they can't be fairly compared against each other either at all.. And the same goes in reverse. There is no comparison to be made, however, many people do, and there is no way to come to any verifiable conclusion in most of these cases.

As for me I try to not compare apples to oranges, because it is a bit too lame to do so. A DFX is not the same type of detector as an Explorer and if you go to White's factory they will tell you that too, and so will Minelab, however, many people really try to do it anyway. By far, a Minelab of many different types works like a new Mercedes 450 SL on salt beaches, and so do many Fishers, but most White's usually don't because most aren't designed to. Some are though. I am talking about vlf's and multi-freqs, not PI's..

Meanwhile, I will contunue to blow every Minelab of equal type clear out of the water in depth of detection and target separation in mineralized soil with my tweaked and modified Compass detector. When I see a Minelab that can beat it I will buy one of them, but so far that is not my personal experience, be it using the thing myself, or someone else using it and they being a well-seasoned Minelab user.. I will do the same thing to any White's too and I've done it in their factory in the front showroom too. I didn't want them to see me because it could have been a very embarrassing moment. I quickly went to my van and got the thing and compared it and them while everybody was out in th plant. I will beat a Garrett Deepseeker that is newer than a 1979 model too, since those old Deepseekers had more than 4 inches in depth over these newer ones. I lay claim to beating any old unmodified Fisher 440 discriminator made after 1979 too. I can't say I can beat a Nautilus for sure, but I'll take the challenge anyway.

As for the lenghthy ramble, I have found that most people don't quite get enough information with simple, generalized, pervasive statements using four letter words, so I usually elect to be a bit more precise and more well-defined for those who don't or can't quite get my drift, my choice because it usually deflects a lot of very misunderstood statements in the long run. Usually, but not always. I suppose this came from when I was in the service and was the company language interpreter.

My third point, is about soil conditions. The best detectors to use in extreme mineralized soils are Minelabs, Fishers, and Compasses. The best beach machines on salt beaches are Fishers, Minelabs, and the old Compass Goldscanner and R&C ones.. I give Minelabs the lead on salt beaches too, bar none.

Finally, my remarks were not directed at you or anybody else in particular. I find no satisfaction in doing so. My writings are meant to exchange information and if people so desire, to get their opinions too. Nothing was intended to be scathing in any way, only merely to inform. If anybody thought otherwise, please except my apologies.

You all have a fine evening.

Larry

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Wow Larry that is quite a challenge....how come no explorer users have answered? ???

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used

They have.

But none of them have an Explorer running on steroids like this old Compass beast does..

Beep.

Stay kool Gregg. And HH :D

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007

tesoro cibola then xterra 70 then maybe an ace 250

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Huumm!,

I must be getting old? Heck,I am old! I no longer dream about what detector I'm going to get next. I've had so many fine detectors.What I dream about is just getting out there, because I know if I do I will have a great time and I will find stuff. The season up here in New England is not even over yet and I'm already over $2000 in finds for the year. Joe
P.S. - I think I might try that 18" coil on my TS next spring

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread