Whats going to be your next new detector?

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Re: What's going to be your next new detector?

kickback said:
I'm planning on getting an F-75 and the new small coil for Christmas.

I have heard the f-75 goes deep..but have heard about problems with faulty coils...might look at a minelab explorer....or maybe a f-75...maybe..

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I just bought an excal 1000 ;)

Have no reason or desire to buy another at this time :D

t bird

Greenie
Aug 19, 2005

thinking of a bounty hunter platinum or fisher f4, and i'll need to sell a couple of detectors to get one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I might look for one with a Freq shifter for seeded hunts. Had a lot of interference from other units last time at the Great Southern Beach Shootout. Maybe a Tesoro Cebola or Vaquero.

Any suggestions??

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

Treasure_Hunter said:
I might look for one with a Freq shifter for seeded hunts. Had a lot of interference from other units last time at the Great Southern Beach Shootout. Maybe a Tesoro Cebola or Vaquero.

Any suggestions??
Yep, the Cibola is a killer at seeded hunts and everywhere else!!!! I want my next machine to only find old silver coins>>>>lol
Greg

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

it will be a while but maybe one of the multi frequency minelabs with a LCD or just a meter for my sov. Not having an LCD has not bothered my vary much after switching to the sov but sometimes I find toward the end of hunts I am not quite so willing to dig as much but not ready to go home either. Some sort of VDI would might be good for that last hour or two of the hunt.

It is pretty funny how at the beginning of a hunt the attitude can be "better dig that it might be something good" and after a little fatigue sets in goes to "nah...probably trash". ;D

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

I will save as much as i can over the winter months to get the best White's detector i can,also an ACE250 if things go right.I just have to keep a strict winter budget.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sovereign GT for me........ So far anyway. Murph, your right on on the "Toward the end of the hunt syndrome".

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

I am considering the Tesoro Tejon for the relics and fields. I have the water (Excal 1000) land / parks (DFX) and figure the Tejon will round it up.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's much easier for me to know which detector I won't buy, and that is a Fisher CZ21. Their service just can't be trusted again.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am thinking the tejon or the minelab SE but it will be a while. If I can ever get back by the water I might get a sandshark but that is way down the line.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am thinking of...a good totally can wet water detector just for the beaches. which one..no clue yet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bootybay said:
I am thinking of...a good totally can wet water detector just for the beaches. which one..no clue yet.

A Minelab E-X-C-A-L-I-B-U-R ;)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

A Minelab E-X-C-A-L-I-B-U-R or some other type of water detector.

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006

I own a DFX. which I've had for over four years. Before that, I had a Bounty Hunter 202, which was purchased at Wal-Mart. The latter machine was unable to discriminate good targets, such as rings and coins, from rusty iron, and was tedious and frustrating to use; essentially, it was little better than a toy, and I returned it for a full refund after using it for a few months (Wal-Mart is good in that respect). While the DFX is much "'smarter" than the BH machine in that it much more reliably identifies good targets, I have yet to adjust the DFX successfully to increase depth significantly. Quarters deeper than 6.5", for example, will not be readily detected, and smaller coins, such as silver dimes (I really don't want corroded copper coins, even if they're old Indian cents, as their value is minimal), will not be detected much below 4". Once, for some reason, I found a silver dime at about 6"-8", but that was an aberration, and my settings were the same as those I typically use.
Anyway, I have met several detectorists who own and use Minelab Explorer SEs, with great success. Two of them owned the DFX previously, but sold them, preferring the Minelab for its significantly greater ability to find deep coins (dimes, say, at 8", and quarters two feet down in dry sand at the beach). One of the Minelab owners, whom I met while the two of us were beach hunting a few weeks ago, was finding coins my DFX could not not, as the coins were beyond the ability of my stock coil to "see" them. Before I spoke to him, I watched him walking along the beach with scoop and shovel in hand, stopping every few feet to dig out a coin, whereas I was finding virtually nothing in the same period of time. He told me that even on heavily raked beaches, he routinely finds $10 worth of coins per hunt; it took me five days of beach hunting with my DFX to find $10 in change, hunting between one and three hours daily...hardly worth the effort. Both Minelab owners who were former DFX owners explained that not only does the Minelab Explorer II go significantly deeper, it also "sees" more of the ground than the DFX at greater depths, as the DFX's window can be likened to an upside down ice cream cone, which covers less and less ground as depth increases, whereas the Minelab's window is the entire diameter of the search coil, regardless of depth. So one can find more targets both in terms of depth and width.
So buy a Minelab Explorer II if your budget allows, versus a DFX. It's possible that the DFX will go deeper with a different search coil, but I'm skeptical. I bought the Jimmy Sierra HotShot coil several years ago, and I found the stock coil to be superior in every way. Anyone want mine? Make me an offer for the coil, you DFX and MXT users. Maybe you'll have better luck with it than I did. And, by the way, by all accounts the MXT goes deeper than the DFX, and it's cheaper...but it lacks some of the DFX's features.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As the "Great One" Jackie Gleason used to say "and away we gooooooooooooooooooooo" ;).....LOL :D

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pulse Devil (if it ever comes out). Barring that, an Eric Foster.

Mike

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Infinium LS and a Gold Maxx II Power

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions