Latest News on the Pulse Devil

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
This was posted on Doug's forum by Dave.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProspectinginOz/message/5731

What is new is that the Surf Devil will be a full diving detector which will be good to 100 meters. It is also interesting to note that coin depths for in air tests will be the same for in ground tests as least in the areas of the US and Europe where the PD was tested. (Remember we are talking about a PI not a VLF. PI's are not effected by ground mineralization the same way VLFs are).

By the way a Oz 20 cent piece is slightly smaller than a US half. Pretty amazing depth for a 10 inch coil eh?

George

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Willy said:
What I'd like to know is what the specific features/capabilities/controls of the Nemesis detectors are. ..Willy.

Hi Willy

This is all I could find on the features of the Nemesis. Coin/relic and gold nugget versions. Photos of this unit are long overdue.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProspectinginOz/message/5118

It mentions that they will be shaft mounted with no digital display. It would be more of a selling point if a TID display were on the coin/relic version. The full blown PD1000 has of course digital TID.

George

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Uh, lemme get this straight: This machine will get a coin, slightly smaller than a USA half-dollar, to about 20 inches??

Can it do this all while passing iron? Passing foil and (gasp) even tabs if someone so wanted? In other words, if someone took this thing to a junky park where people have passed foil for ages (cherry picking), could this machine go in and do the same thing, but do it deeper? If so, I know of parks where there's a certain belt of barbers and seated *just* out of reach of our Explorers. Sign me up! ;D

thanx for the link George!

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Tom_in_CA said:
Uh, lemme get this straight: This machine will get a coin, slightly smaller than a USA half-dollar, to about 20 inches??

Can it do this all while passing iron? Passing foil and (gasp) even tabs if someone so wanted? In other words, if someone took this thing to a junky park where people have passed foil for ages (cherry picking), could this machine go in and do the same thing, but do it deeper? If so, I know of parks where there's a certain belt of barbers and seated *just* out of reach of our Explorers. Sign me up! ;D

thanx for the link George!

Aw Tom you are asking all the questions the rest of us are thinking.What interests me even more than depth is TID depth. As you know deep coins with the Explorer are all over the screen. This is normal as VLF VDI numbers are influenced by ground mineralization the deeper one goes. The issue is as PIs are not affected by ground mineralization as VLFs are would TID be a level above current Vlfs? Time will tell.

George

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
bakergeol said:
Willy said:
What I'd like to know is what the specific features/capabilities/controls of the Nemesis detectors are. ..Willy.

Hi Willy

This is all I could find on the features of the Nemesis. Coin/relic and gold nugget versions. Photos of this unit are long overdue.

It mentions that they will be shaft mounted with no digital display. It would be more of a selling point if a TID display were on the coin/relic version. The full blown PD1000 has of course digital TID.

George
I never heard of the Pulse Devil but by the sound of it i sure would like to get one.When and were will they be for sale?????????????????

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
George, let's say, for sake of argument, that the depth on a coin-sized target was only 12". If that's the case, then, barring nasty minerals, and barring the need for TID at depth (like, CW or relic hunters that dig all, don't pass foil, etc..), then what you're saying would be about a "draw", since there are VLF machines that can do that.

But the minute you want TID at depths beyond 9 or 10", then there is nothing, not even the Explorer, that can do that. As you say, the cursor begins to be "all over the screen" at the deeper depths, requiring some chasing of iffies, willingness to get fooled, etc...

But, heck, you're not only saying accurate TID for the full depth capability or the unit, but depths beyond our current range AS WELL! This will be interesting.

Is anyone here an oldie enough to remember when motion discrimination was first introduced in 1977/78? Like the 6db, 6000D, Red Baron, etc...? Although they are dinasours by today's standards, I distinctly recall that the first guys that got those, tripled the silver takes from any park they went to. TR disc. had been maxed at about 6" (and was a pain the b*tt too to do, slow, etc..) but the motion disc. went fast, and added an inch or two wherever it went. So those guys had an entire new strata opened up to them, that was previously unreachable (unless someone wanted to use VLF all-metal, and dig everything, even nails). I can only imagine that if the Pulse Devil is all that you're saying, that we would enter into an exact same scenario. There would be worked out places that would come alive all over again. And not just for those that need disc, but apparently even relic, beach, etc....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
George, sorry to bug you again, but let me clarify: This machine can tell iron, vs low conductors, vs high conductors? Not just low vs high, with iron being very tricky to differentiate from highs? (ie.:not like the GS5?)

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
roachnjim said:
bakergeol said:
Willy said:

Hi Willy

George
I never heard of the Pulse Devil but by the sound of it i sure would like to get one.When and were will they be for sale?????????????????

Last I was told was they would be out for X-mas.
The following dealers were listed as potential dealers for the PD. They do not have any PDs at this time so they can not help you with performance or price questions about the PD. They all have websites which would be better at correspondence. In additon no outside tests of the PD have been performed outside of Dave's reports. I am sure when Steve H. gets one he will write up an excellent review on it. We are still waiting for the test results for the Oz testing of the nugget hunting version.
So we have no independent testing of the PD at this time.

Gerry's Metal detectors http://www.gerrysdetectors.com/
Gerry McMullen
1501 N. 12th Street
Boise, ID 83702
(208) 345-8898

Dixie Metal Detectors (covers the eastern part of the country)
David Keith
1120 Berwick Trail,
Madison, Tennessee 37115
(615) 860-4333

Alaska Mining & Diving Supply, Inc. (serves Alaska)
Steve Herschbach
3222 Commercial Drive Anchorage, AK 99501
(907)277-1741

George

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Tom_in_CA said:
George, let's say, for sake of argument, that the depth on a coin-sized target was only 12". If that's the case, then, barring nasty minerals, and barring the need for TID at depth (like, CW or relic hunters that dig all, don't pass foil, etc..), then what you're saying would be about a "draw", since there are VLF machines that can do that.

But the minute you want TID at depths beyond 9 or 10", then there is nothing, not even the Explorer, that can do that. As you say, the cursor begins to be "all over the screen" at the deeper depths, requiring some chasing of iffies, willingness to get fooled, etc...

But, heck, you're not only saying accurate TID for the full depth capability or the unit, but depths beyond our current range AS WELL! This will be interesting.

Is anyone here an oldie enough to remember when motion discrimination was first introduced in 1977/78? Like the 6db, 6000D, Red Baron, etc...? Although they are dinasours by today's standards, I distinctly recall that the first guys that got those, tripled the silver takes from any park they went to. TR disc. had been maxed at about 6" (and was a pain the b*tt too to do, slow, etc..) but the motion disc. went fast, and added an inch or two wherever it went. So those guys had an entire new strata opened up to them, that was previously unreachable (unless someone wanted to use VLF all-metal, and dig everything, even nails). I can only imagine that if the Pulse Devil is all that you're saying, that we would enter into an exact same scenario. There would be worked out places that would come alive all over again. And not just for those that need disc, but apparently even relic, beach, etc....

Tom
I don't have any specific figures on coin depths for the PD. The only thing mentioned by Dave is that it did excellent on small hammered silver in Europe. I did ask him about TID depth for coins and he mentioned it was just about full depth barring a little on the last whisks of detectability. Yes I am hoping TID will be much better than conventional VLFs. But as Steve H. mentioned a while back folks will believe it when they see it.

Also you might remember when the Explorers first came out there was a rush back to the parks.

With regards to your last question. No the PD is not like the GS5. It will operate like a Vlf.

Happy Hunting
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions