Need some suggestions on a detector...

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is lightweight (3lbs or less), has a visual readout of some kind, nothing fancy, + or minus VDI numbers would be nice or just some bar graph, or needle meter, two different tones would be nice for iron and non-iron. Doesn't even need discrimination per se. And, can get about 6-7" in bad ground. I need it for my wife and she likes some kind of visual like what's on the MXT, but she likes the lightness of the Tesoro Cibola. I've been told that the ACE 250 doesn't fair too well in our slightly bad Alabama dirt. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Canewrap,

That sounds like a Bounty Hunter to me! What is your price range? Joe

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
$200-$300 and I'm not averse to buying used.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
At that price range you'll probaly have to go with something used, but to get something that will get that depth in "bad" ground will be difficult. I suggest going a little more money and get the Minelab X30. This one will gwt you what you want.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Sounds like a Bounty Hunter to me too Joe..

A Land Ranger for example can be bought for as little as $30 because I bought one for that price. I know where there is one right now for $79 in "like new" condition. They are a more powerful detector than one would believe. .

An x-terra 30 is not a good detector for finding items smaller than a dime, especially in "bad ground".. In fact, the UK sites are FULL of people b--ch--g about this problem and not being able to find small "hammered coins" with them. A detector sitting dormant in a closet is a very expensive door stop. I've seen the same complaints on this site about the x-terra 30's too. Don't buy one of KellyCo's low-priced junk foreign made detectors either, or you'll be sorry..

I have never seen any detector get 6-7" in really BAD ground, regardless of price. Some soils are so bad that only a PI will work in them and a $1000-$1500 vlf will only get 4 inches or less in many others.

Good luck and HH

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The soil we've been hunting is not that bad. On my MXT it registers 68-70 GND, which is the low end of bad. Really bad starts at 80 and gives my MXT fits unless I turn the gain down quite a bit. I've heard from a friend that there was somebody out there that can design a custom detector for you from scratch or take an existing design and modify it for you (I would be willing to pay more than my stated amount for that). Does anyone know who that somebody might be and how I could get ahold of him? I'm thinking that if I can get something that is basically a cross between a Tesoro Cortes and a Tejon, that it will fit the bill. I looked at some of the bounty hunters on-line and they look like they have a real small LCD (not a good idea for my wife).

TIA,
Bill W.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Canewrap,

Thanks for the agreement Easymoney on the Bounty Hunter for Canewrap. I am not even a dealer for Bounty Hunter, but for what he wants for his wife given the features he wants for the $, a used B.H. is a good choice. Canewrap, does your wife have a vision problem ? (Regarding your comment about the BH having a too small display?) All of the BH & RS models that I can think of have an adequate size display? As far as buying a modified detector goes, I don't think that would be a good way to go for your wife. Sorry, just my opinion.

Joe

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Joe, what model of BH would you recommend then? When I looked at couple of photos, it didn't look like the screen was any wider than a postage stamp. Also, wasn't real clear what being displayed on the screen. And, yes it would be a good idea of it wasn't a real small readout, her vision is not real poor, but I know she wouldn't be happy with a real small display. What about a White's Prizm III?

I see where BH came out with a new one called the Platinum. Has anyone tried it?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Canewrap,

Take a look at the new and used BH Land Star, Lone Star and the BH/Radio Shack 2200 and 3300 on Ebay. These detectors have a lot of good features and are very inexpensive for what you get. I have used these detectors myself and they work well. Would I use one for my personal full time machine? No, but they have their place. I am not a good one to ask about the White's Prizm III. I have not used that machine. The BH Platinum is just now hitting the market and I have not read any reviews on it yet. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread