Terrible plugs! I really want to strangle these idiots.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Terrible plugs! I really want to strangle these idiots.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    The surest representation of a man's character is his work ethic.

Apr 2016
    Robbinsdale, MN
    White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
    1043 times
    Metal Detecting

Terrible plugs! I really want to strangle these idiots.

Apparently the apocalypse is bringing out all the half-assed plug diggers. You know, dirt scattered everywhere, the fully-removed plug just barely resting on the hole.... This pisses me off to no end. I saw them everywhere today. Stomped as many down as I could find, but what can you do? I would really like to run into these people. Hopefully the morons find nothing and end up shoving their machine in the closet.

Please do your best to educate new detectorists on the proper way to retrieve targets so there will not be a feont page picture of someone with an etrac wrapped around their head.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA)
    15319 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    They ruin it for all of us!
    SD51, DiamondDan, Coinboy and 4 others like this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.
    "...not my circus, not my monkeys..."

Jul 2013
    1458 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    It looks terrible! I know how you feel. Some guys go to this park Iíve hit a couple times and they leave the plugs the same way. Half assed pressed into the ground. The park keepers go over with their commercial heavy duty riding mowers and the plugs get sucked right up and then chopped up. Now theirs a hole that the park keepers have to take time out to fill and seed or sod over! That would piss me off!
    SD51, DiamondDan, Coinboy and 3 others like this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    5494 times
    It will never end...

Different subject - saw a video of a complete jackass that walks up to a buffet table, dips the soup ladle into the soup and talks a long sip and puts the ladle back! Where's a baseball bat when you need one!

us
    Oct 2016
    Vermont
    Garrett ACE 400, ProPointer AT
    1706 times
    Metal Detecting
    Living in rural VT, there aren't many detectorists in my area, and I don't search parks, however I have a digging buddy that, out of inexperience, used to not dig the nicest plugs, so I know what you mean when you say "dirt scattered everywhere, the fully-removed plug just resting in the hole." Luckily he is much better at digging nice, neat holes now.

If I was in your situation I would be very upset as well. As the saying goes "It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole lot."

I hate the look of an obvious plug, that's why I try not to dig yards in the rain, it is nearly impossible to do a nice job when mud is involved
    Notable 2019 Finds:

Coins: King George II halfpenny, Connecticut copper, 1810 Large Cent, 1872 Half Dime, 1864 & 1908 IHP, 1921 Peace Dollar, 1908 Barber Quarter, 1906 V Nickle, 3 merc dimes, 1943 Quarter

Relics: Vermont state seal button, early belt knife, shoe buckle fragments, 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button, 1916 dog license, skeleton key, broken flintlock pistol barrel, colonial silver cuff link, early brass thimble, many flat buttons of different metals and sizes

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1280 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    A few years back, I detected an old yard and dug quite a few holes. I filled everything perfectly. The following day I went back to the same yard. Half of my holes were open. Since I remove/control wildlife for a living, I knew right away that a skunk had opened up all those holes. I caught him that night and took him away.
    Just saying, sometimes its not what you think.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16591 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    well look at some of the holes the clowns on some of the TV shows make
    they may start out good but then they miss the target due to poor pin pointing
    and they rip at the side with their hands - Ive used a large knife since i was 12 - 1975 and i try my hardest to cut nice perfect plugs
    does not take much extra time - and my plugs are almost invisible - i try to keep all the dirt in the hole and cut them just big enough
    so they will survive (really small ones will sometimes dry out and die)
    same as guys that throw trash back - takes just as long to drop in pouch as it does to throw over shoulder or rebury
    both of these poor habits are reasons they put up NO DETECTING signs all around my area now
    Irishgoldhound, SD51, AARC and 2 others like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    1623 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    When I see someone detecting i always walk over and watch them dig . I like to see how they dig plugs . If they do a good job I compliment them. If not i ask if they mind me sharing some ideas with them. Most of the time they are very receptive. I try and help this hobby or sport what you call it.
    SD51, AARC, solx nys and 3 others like this.
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Flo rida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    60539 times
    Stupid is as stupid does.

So many people in this world go around with an "I don't give a crap" attitude... they are gonna do what they want to do and screw everyone else.

OR they just don't know any better... never thought about it or whatever.

IF you see someone disrespecting this art... IMO you have an obligation... a duty... to step up.

No respect should be met and addressed.

If we don't... we are not part of a solution... we are just part of the problem.
    Last edited by AARC; Apr 10, 2020 at 05:38 AM.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Flo rida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    60539 times
    A2coins likes this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

us
    Sep 2019
    Olympia, Washington
    Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy) Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
    83 times
    I get angry over that myself. The only good thing about is most the time they are terrible detectorists and I get to pocket the target they could not find.
    SD51 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2006
    Fremont, Ohio
    Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560
    1039 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    A few years back, I detected an old yard and dug quite a few holes. I filled everything perfectly. The following day I went back to the same yard. Half of my holes were open. Since I remove/control wildlife for a living, I knew right away that a skunk had opened up all those holes. I caught him that night and took him away.
    Just saying, sometimes its not what you think.
    I have had this happen too. Some animal will come by and pop a few plugs back out looking for an easy meal like grubs. Then there was this time many years ago when I was hunting a school yard and the cutest little yellow lab puppy shows up and starts following me around. He was quite intrigued by what I was doing and then I noticed him popping the plugs back out after I turned my back. He must have thought I was burying something interesting.

Steve
    Research and ye shall find!

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    5494 times
    Dig a "U" shaped plug, not a small round completely removable plug. I have seen countless small round plugs laying on the ground because a skunk or racoon removed it at night.

us
    Apr 2009
    Indiana
    Fisher F70
    2230 times
    digging a hole that can be refilled to look like its not been dug is an art that takes time and practice. A few things that some searchers do not possess. Even those who have been detecting a long time sometimes have trouble at this.

I can agree with the post from TooManyHobbies, critters will go after these plugs
    TooManyHobbies, AARC, SD51 and 3 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500,Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    6034 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well once again I have learned something on this site! I never knew that skunks and other critters will pop plugs! I had a similar experience as TooManyHobbies but I didn't know what the cause was. Old dogs do learn knew tricks
    TooManyHobbies, SD51 and RustyGold like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links