Newbie seeking permission to detect (and dig) on private property

Feb 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I'm pretty new to this, but I've identified a location of interest on private property. I haven't contacted or even identified the property owners yet, but I am curious as to what is considered to be the correct way to handle something like this.

I am in Kansas, in the United States.

I intend to make clear my intentions to detect, and to dig if I get any hits, also that any holes will be filled back in, and no debris or trash will be left onsite. Beyond that, I'm unsure what's considered proper. I don't know if it affects anything, but the property is farmland.

Is it best to seek permission in writing? Do I offer to pay for permission upon contact? Do I offer a percentage of anything found (I say that fully realizing how unlikely it is that a first time still find anything of interest)?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Agerate

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Lier X. Agerate! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - A quick search brought up a bunch of threads talking about "permission" to hunt. Here are a few...

OP
OP
L
Feb 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Lier X. Agerate! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - A quick search brought up a bunch of threads talking about "permission" to hunt. Here are a few...

Thank you so much!

Sorry, I tried a brief search, but I'm still sort of learning to navigate the site. I will absolutely check those posts you linked to.

Also, an excellent point that I forgot to indicate my location. I will be waiting my post shortly to include this information.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I'm pretty new to this, but I've identified a location of interest on private property. I haven't contacted or even identified the property owners yet, but I am curious as to what is considered to be the correct way to handle something like this.

I intend to make clear my intentions to detect, and to dig if I get any hits, also that any holes will be filled back in, and no debris or trash will be left onsite. Beyond that, I'm unsure what's considered proper.

Is it best to seek permission in writing? Do I offer to pay for permission upon contact? Do I offer a percentage of anything found (I say that fully realizing how unlikely it is that a first time still find anything of interest)?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Agerate

Door knocking is and acquired taste and takes practice to come off as sincere, but, also friendly and responsible. First, as Indian Steve mentioned, learn to make a proper trap door plug, so, you can leave the property no worse than you found it. If you find good stuff, you may want to return sometime in the future. Catching the owner outside in the yard is what I like to do, but, that's not always possible and mostly just the luck of the draw. If you must knock on the door, try not to do it too early, too late, or during meal times. Be presentable....meaning clean, decent clothes, and don't have all your gear with you on the porch. Back away a bit from the door so you don't seem intimidating. (on a side note, if you can have a cute kid with you to do the asking, that helps you get a yes more often). Smile, explain that you enjoy saving bits of history with your detecting hobby, and that you love the historic neighborhoods because they offer better chances of finding something interesting. It can also help if you know a bit about the history of the area and if you know someone who they also know, especially someone who has given you permission in the past. Common interests (like seeing vintage cars in the yard, or other types of collections) can also start a conversation and a friendlier atmosphere. Without actually saying the word "dig", explain that you will not do any damage to the yard/grass and that you only use some simple gardening tools to make a "recovery". I don't offer to split what I find unless they insist on it, or it's looks like the only way I'll get a yes. If it's something I don't really care about, I'll agree. In my case, if they want all the coins, tokens, and jewelry, I'll thank them and move on. Most times, they won't care about keeping what you find. If I find something historic to the house, I usually just give it to the owner, or offer to give it to them after the next club meeting show and tell. I always offer to try and find anything they've lost if they can give me a good description of the item. I also don't have them sign anything, unless they ask. I have forms in my vehicle to cover just about any situation( split finds, permission to be on the property, release of liability, etc), but, some people will balk at signing anything, so, best not to shove papers in their face unless they bring it up. Some people will want to see everything that you find, others won't care. I usually show most, if not all of what I find. It just kind of depends on your gut feeling with the person you're dealing with. Sometimes people change their mind if you show them something good that you want to keep. If they initially didn't want anything you found, I'd keep the stuff you really want to keep in your pocket and show them the rest. I've seen some detecting buddies loose some neat stuff when the owner suddenly had a change of heart and took their nice finds. Of course, that's where a written contract would be helpful, but, you may not even get permission if you ask them to sign one up front. When you're finished, be sure the thank them, Give them whatever you agreed to give them (even if they don't want anything, I usually will give them a common wheat cent or other interesting trinket that I don't want) and if all went well, you may want to ask them if they know any friends, neighbors, or relatives that they think might also give you permission. Good Luck and welcome to Tnet!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome....to the world of detecting....I detect a lot in Kansas and MO...since 1982...the finds are there. Some great detecting clubs in both states...send me a message if you wish.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas :wave:

OP
OP
L
Feb 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information and advice, thank you!

The plot does have some history, but it's a large plot with no home on it that I can see (it's a large plot out in the boonies, so I've got to find out who the owner and where to contact them before I can proceed). I will make use of all of your suggestions, though.

Thank you so much!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the courthouse (or maybe online) and look at the tax records for that plot of land. That should show you the owner's name and contact info. It's a public record.

Aug 18, 2019
South Padre Island Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro SideWinder, CZ20, Whites XLT, Tesoro StingRay II, Whites PI Pro w/950 Dive Coil, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab EQ 600, Fisher CZ3D, Whites TDI SL, Sov. GT. Minelab GXP-4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site, don't see what metal detector you decided to try. make sure you know your machine. If not it wont matter if you get a good place to hunt you may miss all the good stuff and become discouraged.
Don't give up and remember you have to dig trash to find treasure. There are some of the smartest and most experienced hunters in the world on this forum. If you ask a question they would love to dazzle with their knowledge. That's how I learned how to find the deep old stuff. Stay healthy and safe and good hunting if the county you live in will let you. PS. Post your finds when you can.

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and detecting! I'm a newbie, too, so we are learning together!
John

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Utah, you mentioned farm so you’ll want to ask permission when their not using the land, early spring or late fall after the harvest

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread