Which detector??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Which detector??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2008
    2 times

Which detector??

Between a Tesoro Vaquero, Conquistador or Makro Simplex, which one would you choose? Or are these way off for the type of relic hunting I do which is Civil War relic hunting in South Alabama.
    Thanks
    Chad
    eman1000 likes this.

us
    Veteran 32F20

Dec 2019
    Northern Virginia
    Whites 6000D Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter 202, Simplex with SP24 & Detech Ultimate coils, PulseDive
    240 times
    Metal Detecting
    Simplex all the way, you won't regret it

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2016
    FLA
    943 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ...
    Cat-like reflexes with a sloth-like brain

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    4421 times
    Relic Hunting
    The detector that works best for you and fits your needs as to what type of hunting you do. Research and watch Utube videos, a great research tool. Best of luck to you
    On your decision.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9718 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    With Tesoro out of business, no way I would buy one of their machines. In that price range, I'd get the Simplex if you need it to be waterproof, or a Vanquish if you don't.
    "​Jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    XP Deus ORX, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
    862 times
    The Conquistador isn't really known for its depth so would not recommend for relic hunting. (more of a Tot Lot killer) Neither is the Simplex really (Although a good machine for a variety of conditions it is lacking in the depth department per my own test garden tests and use)

For those deep 3 ringer bullets I would go Vaquero if I had to chose between the 3 machines. I had a Vaquero that I used in the fields and it hit deep in mild/moderate soil ( I certainly wouldn't buy a Vaquero new though as they are Out of Business but if you can find one in the 250-300 range then that would be fair.)

I'm curious are you asking because your on a $300 dollar budget?

I would add in terms of depth on relics in the field I haven't had too many machines that rival the Vaquero the Deus is very close and the Equinox is on par if not better with stock coil.
    Last edited by eman1000; Apr 05, 2021 at 08:12 AM.

us
    Aug 2008
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eman1000 View Post
    The Conquistador isn't really known for its depth so would not recommend for relic hunting. (more of a Tot Lot killer) Neither is the Simplex really (Although a good machine for a variety of conditions it is lacking in the depth department per my own test garden tests and use)

For those deep 3 ringer bullets I would go Vaquero if I had to chose between the 3 machines. I had a Vaquero that I used in the fields and it hit deep in mild/moderate soil ( I certainly wouldn't buy a Vaquero new though as they are Out of Business but if you can find one in the 250-300 range then that would be fair.)

I'm curious are you asking because your on a $300 dollar budget?

I would add in terms of depth on relics in the field I haven't had too many machines that rival the Vaquero the Deus is very close and the Equinox is on par if not better with stock coil.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, on on 3-400 budget. What about a Tesoro Bandido II uMax?Ē Is that a good relic machine?

Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    862 times
    I'm not a Teroso historian but if I recall the Bandido II circa 2000/2001 was replaced by just the "uMax" which was the model directly below the Vaquero in price roughly $250 new. Yes it is a good machine - I don't believe people got the same depth from the Umax as they did with the Vaquero though. (The Bandido is before my time)

Have you considered the Minelab Vanquish 440 - much more modern machine and will get you the goods. $279 from Bart @ bigboyhobbies hard to beat.

Also at $279 leaves you with a little bit of budget towards a decent pinpointer saves time looking for a button in a 9" hole.
    Last edited by eman1000; Apr 05, 2021 at 03:27 PM.

us
    Aug 2008
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eman1000 View Post
    I'm not a Teroso historian but if I recall the Bandido II circa 2000/2001 was replaced by just the "uMax" which was the model directly below the Vaquero in price roughly $250 new. Yes it is a good machine - I don't believe people got the same depth from the Umax as they did with the Vaquero though. (The Bandido is before my time)

Have you considered the Minelab Vanquish 440 - much more modern machine and will get you the goods. $279 from Bart @ bigboyhobbies hard to beat.

Also at $279 leaves you with a little bit of budget towards a decent pinpointer saves time looking for a button in a 9" hole.
    Thanks fir the info. So between a makro simplex and vanquish 440, which one would you choose?

Charter Member
    us
    Travis Mitchell

Feb 2016
    Elizabethtown, IN
    862 times
    You can't go wrong either way from what I hear. I had the Simplex it is a very good machine but personally I think the Vanquish 440 is the real steal of the group with multi IQ. If you were asking about hunting underwater on that budget then the Simplex but for Relic the Vanquish would be my pick.
    Chuck M likes this.

us
    Veteran 32F20

Dec 2019
    Northern Virginia
    Whites 6000D Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter 202, Simplex with SP24 & Detech Ultimate coils, PulseDive
    240 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hear me now, ... believe me later, ... Simplex.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    37257 times
    Keep in mind Tesoro went out of business, no spare parts are being made....
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB
    Lowery AFB
    McCoy AFB
    Kadena AFB 1968-1969, 1970-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

(Per Admins avatars and signatures do not fall under rules for politics.)

us
    Aug 2008
    2 times
    Just purchased a simplex and waiting to receive. While I’m waiting on it I’ve been researching as much as I can on the machine. What would be a good setting for hunting civil war relics in moderate iron and trash? Thanks for your help.
    Chad
    Richard Guy likes this.

us
    Apr 2021
    East Texas
    Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by clllclal View Post
    Just purchased a simplex and waiting to receive. While I’m waiting on it I’ve been researching as much as I can on the machine. What would be a good setting for hunting civil war relics in moderate iron and trash? Thanks for your help.
    Chad
    Dig everything. Seriously. You're going to have to dig everything.

Dec 2020
    14 times
    Go with a Minelab Vanquish, you won't regret it. I have the Minelab Vanquish 540 and this detector goes deep with great readings and tones. You can't go wrong with Minelab
    angelito1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links