Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, we've all see these before and most have ruled them out as "rediculous."

Personally, I believe them ::)

So far I've found the test on the Tejon, Nautilus IIB, Sovereign GT, DeLeon, and Silver uMax are dead center accurate when tested as he tested them.

I've had a few thank me in PM's for posting about the super depth of the Tesoro uMax with 12x10 inch coil. I got the original idea from the 1st chart at this site. He used a web 9x8 concentric coil in his test. I used the 12x10. After trying the Silver uMas with the 12x10 at my old sites I sold my Tejon. My Tejon wasn't nearly as deep. The last straw was when I got a nice solid signal with the Silver and couldn't get even a tick from the Tejon. I dug a silver War Nickel at about 9 inches deep.

What do U think? Do tell all...

SEE CHARTS:

http://www.staffsmetaldetectors.co.uk/depth_test.htm

Upvote 0

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
hey badger no real copper yet, found a pounded copper disk about 2" round 2yrs ago, but no points or awls yet, was one of my goals this year, maybe next year, spent much of my time looking for the gold minning camps, and charcoal kilns near Marquette area, tough country to hike through, plan on spending more time on copper culture and trading posts this summer. thompy

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
thompy said:
hey badger no real copper yet, found a pounded copper disk about 2" round 2yrs ago, but no points or awls yet, was one of my goals this year, maybe next year, spent much of my time looking for the gold minning camps, and charcoal kilns near Marquette area, tough country to hike through, plan on spending more time on copper culture and trading posts this summer. thompy

Great. Stay with it. There are people up there digging lots of great Copper Culture stuff.

Badger

B

BIG61AL

Any depth chart will only be a guide. There are too many variables involved such as type of soil, position of coin, actual depth, metal trash nearby, rock content, plant content, moisture level, whether the target is an actual coin or coin shaped trash [bottle cap. pull tab] type of detector being used and skill of user.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've read this chart before, and his depths for the detectors that I use were definately off. I've had a Tesoro Vaquero, and I currently own a Lobo Super Traq, and a Tejon. On all of these, I get 8"-9" with the 5.75" coils, with the 10" elliptical I get consistantly down to 18".

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
nuggetshooter323 said:
I've read this chart before, and his depths for the detectors that I use were definately off. I've had a Tesoro Vaquero, and I currently own a Lobo Super Traq, and a Tejon. On all of these, I get 8"-9" with the 5.75" coils, with the 10" elliptical I get consistantly down to 18".

What size targets?

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
If someone gets 18" on a coin-sized target in the ground we need to talk.

I'll provide the $$ for the development of the new circuitry, the marketing, and the wine to celebrate a miracle. On the other hand, if we are talking about sawdust or woodchips in the tot lots then I'm going to forget the idea and go take a valium. U nearly gave me a heart attack!

The best depth I've ever gotten with anything, and I mean ANYTHING is 14" on a nickel in silica/salt/no-iron beaches in all-metal. That was with the following: An an original Garrett Deepseeker and Fisher 440. Second place on that beach (for comparison) was with a a cz-70 and a Compass Relic & coin at 11" both running with zero discrimination. The Explorer gets 10" and so does the Sov and Tejon on the same coin and on the same beach, all-metal OR disc.
Cut that all right in half in bad ground though. 3/4 of that in medium ground, like in Ohio or Texas..

Boy that one really caught me off guard! Those charts do really suck though. The author admits it too. I don't think he knows how to remove it from the net though, otherwise he would. You should see some of the funny comments and jokes he gets about it on other sites.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I love depth postings!

Nothing stirs the soul and encourages the clever use of profanity like a good HOW DEEP thread.

What do you think? Are the charts good or bad? Do you think the only reason they're still online is because the author can't figure out how to delete them?

Do tell all...

Badger

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Alright Badger..

You got me on that one. The postings on the Maplin and Micronta were real accurate though, no dispute there.

Didn't I see them at 3 inches?

Or was that the XLT?
The Compass Challenger X-100 only got 5 inches. Ask Willy what he thinks about that one.
And the cz-7 only got 4 inches? Yep, that's just about right. WRONG!
How could anybody even post that?

Well, in fact nearly ever time I check that place he changes the readings and his sentences. Maybe he is starting to find out where the "on" button is?

And the Expl got 14 inches. You betcha. Uh, huh... Why not 34 inches? Or 64? What's the difference? 10 more from an Expl than a cz-7?

Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

Hahahahaha...

And yes, I do think that the guy is somewhat remiss mentally. In fact some of his postings are moronic. It reminds me of what a monkey would do if turned loose in a glue factory. How would he ever get back out of there? And over 300 detectors tested? That guy needs a girlfriend, ANY girlfriend!

Have a good day Badger. Don't get into any trouble.

EasyMoney

Willy

Yup, nothing short of a joke. Thing is, if buddy keeps changing the list it it makes his results even more dubious. I dunno, for some reason I keep flashing to that scene in "The Jerk" where Steve Martin is sitting in the tub singing about his thermos and lunchbox. I gotta get out and do some setecting. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I don't know about all the detectors listed on his charts but I do know that the few I've owned and tested he has almost dead-on. So, if he just made these things up he's sure lucky.

I saw his depth for the Nautilus IIb after I had sold my two machines. I sold them both because the depths in my coin garden showed a maximum of 8 inches on a quarter with the 10-inch coil. I had all I could do to get a signal on a dime at 5 inches. The IIb machines I owned were no better than a Tesoro uMax with stock coil so I sold them both.

About a couple months later I found his charts online and laughed when I saw his depth reports on the IIB. They were exactly what I had found with my machines.

But when I saw his depths for the Minelabs I was turned off big time and wrote him about that. I accused him of being biased for Minelab and then forgot about the charts for several months.

One day I located them again and noticed what he had for the Tesoro Silver uMax with web coil. I wrote and asked him the size of the coil (9x8). I bought the 12x10 web coil and put it on my Silver uMax. I could easily get the depth he posted and more. I got better depth and found more deep coins with the Silver than I did with my Tejon. So, I sold my Tejon on ebay.

He also hit the DeLeon dead-on. So, I started to gain some respect for his charts and decided to order the Minelab GT. Again, his depth report was dead-on accurate.

Now I have the Minelab SE. This will be the ultimate test for me of his charts. Just as soon as the frost is out of the ground I shall see. Personally I have a hard time believing the depth he has on his chart. I wrote to him and he wrote back that he used the learner settings.

If this works out I'll print out his charts and mount them on a wall in my house ;D He claims 14 inches on a quarter sized coin! NO WAY! But, the test will tell the story.

Badger

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
An algebraic expression could easily predict the outcome of a set of theories and be relatively accurate. So could a Venn Diagram, and even more so. But I really doubt that he has the education to accomplish that. Here is what I think is happening, hypothetically of course. It's the only thing that makes sense:

If I was, let's say, a bit un-learned or or inexperienced and my detectors weren't selling as well as I would like them to, I could easily make up a chart just like that one. All I have to do is to go to the forums and check the claims people make. Didn't Chamberlain do the same thing? It's real easy to make up a chart like that one. It would take only a few hours to do so, and the law of averages says that I would be fairly accurate on many of the posts, but certainly not all. It certainly is a lot easier than taking hundreds of hours to test them all. 300 detectors is a lot of detector tests, even casually. The problem is though, that he openly ADMITS to not having known how the detectors operate properly, nor how to get the most potential out of them, and more. This protects him from any liable and legal ramifications and it also covers his bunger, because it allows him to plead dumbs - - t.

After deciding to make a bit of it up he he checks the forums for many hours and goes by the claims that Minelabs, Fisher, White's, and Tesoro, etc make. The problem with that is that he suddenly realizes that if he writes down the amazing claims that other brand detectorists make that it will cause him to lose the mark-up that he gets on the Minelabs. The higher the cost, the bigger the mark-up. He has to draw a line somewhere. So, instead of doing that, he elects to live vicariously, but additonally claims that he really just basically turned the machines on, not knowing much about them which he openly admits to, sets the discrimination the best he knew how, and tried them that way. Wrong idea. In fact, he admits to basically only doing that very thing. After he realized that he was being made a fool online, he decides to go back and make a few look a bit more realistic now and then which he hoped people wouldn't notice, which he did. Unfortuneately, many people ARE easily fooled, and most are sometimes, but not all of us at the same time and not always either.

Example #1
A DFX DOES NOT get only 4' on a coin while an SE gets 10 more inches than it. Come on, that is absurd.

Example #2
A Fisher 1270 gets better than 5" on a coin, even a half dime when an Explorer get's (cough, cough, choke choke) 14"! An Explorer II DOES NOT get 10 more inches than a cz-70 either. It even gets an inch LESS when I compare the two here at home. The problem with the charts is that they are for the most part, very misleading and simply sales hype. Is it entirely possible that the bulk of detectorists have as much trouble reading and thinking as he does? I hope not, but NO, many are deceived anyway.

Example #3
A Red Heat getting the same depth as an Ace?
That's even more stupid than the EXPL one!

Example # 4
An Explorer SE or II doesn't even GET 14" in discriminate, in air, unless conditions are IDEAL! What sort of nonsense is that anyway? Does this mean that every Explorer I've ever used is a dud, and that he gets the good ones?

Well, if it isn't true then there is only one thing else that it could be. You all can do the math..

I sent him some of my own results of some of the same detectors he "tested" and he answered that he would expect that a "professional" detectorist like me would get better test results than he was capable of. Professional or beginner, or a space cadet, who cares? I see way too many people blowing their paycheck on some detectors and soon thereafter they go up for sale at 1/3 their initial cost, and only 3 months later.

If he would take the thing off the net it would be a better service to all. Even on here I take everything I read very lightly, but at least I have the intelligence to not make up something like that, which I think he did. Or, maybe, just maybe I just have more scruples.

BTW, yes, a Silver uMax does get incredible depth for it's size, weight, and battery configuration. The general equation for detector power is the amount of power required to run the thing; i.e. how many batteries and how much current, voltage required for operation. This is true of almost anything else electric too, including motors and computers. This is why cheap detectors seldom use more than one little 9v. But I wouldn't make up a chart for this stuff though. That would be stupid. Besides that, if a detector also has a lot of toys and programs to run, the power to the coil gets robbed and consequently so does it's depth too.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't look over his home site very closely but as far as I can tell he's a C-Scope dealer. Does he even sell Minelabs?

Anyway, I need to test my SE soon because the curiosity is getting the better of me.

But this one thing I'll have to say, I really can't believe the SE gets 14 inches on a buried quarter sized copper coin. Actually I'll be thrilled if it can match the GT.

And too like I wrote in other threads, about 6 inches at best is our average hunting depth anyway. Coin gardens can give us the very most possible depth but lets face it, out in the real world of detecting with all its masking trash, how often are any of us ever going to catch those super deep signals? Maybe once in a blue moon when we happen to come upon a buried item out by itself in mild soil.

I don't care what top of the line VLF machine a person uses, one is only thoroughly covering that 4-6 depth while hunting the way most of us do out in the field. Down to 6 inches even a Silver uMax with web coil can handle that with no problem.

We're not going to see anything really earth shaking until they develop some new kind of hobby detector.

Badger

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Right on and well said Badger.

We seldom get those fantastic depths anywhere. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm told that Texas ocean beaches almost have zero minerals, except for salt. I'm thinking that extreme depths might be possible there but certainly not in most of the country, especially in the Rocky Mountains or west of them somewhere.

Naahhh, he sells Minelabs. He likes them too. He likes Tesoros but doesn't like Fishers or Garretts much at all. Everybody has their favorites I guess, but everybody has their least favorites too. My preferences are (most, but not all) Tesoros and Fishers, but I have no preference between these two because of brand names. My old Compasses are great but getting old and the newer detectors are a lot lighter, so eventually I'll change. I use the cz-70 more than anything else now because it's the best gold ring finder I have, and it even goes a bit deeper on high iron ocean beaches than just about anything out there. . The Compasses get the deepest audio inland and find the smallest items but are slowly becoming outdated. The cz meter ID's the deepest and cleanest. One works good one place and the other works well in another, depending on the application. Minelabs have their place too, especially in wide-open areas. It's tough to beat them on most salt/iron beaches for smooth-running.

Garretts? Tiny target ID and talking ladies do not out-class their heavy weight and mediocre depth. White's makes a couple of small target ID's too and they go a bit deeper and weigh a lot less. The Infinium however, is a real mean machine. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I lived close to Miami or Galveston or S Cal.

Nice post Badger.

Willy

I'll second your opinion on the Infinium. That puppy gets scary depth. I used one for freshwater/beach and land hunting (gold) and it left every other detector I've ever had in the dust depthwise. I'm not talking a few inches.. near to a foot is more like it. It may sound like I'm fulla cr@p, but the mineralization here is so severe that most VLF detectors (including BBS machines) are lucky to get down 8". Now, an Infinium with that honkin' 10x14" DD that basically ignores the ground, is gonna do some damage. My favorite F.water test beach (loaded with black sand and fertilizer salts) gets hit thousands of times, during the summer, with almost every brand of VLF made. I took the Infinium there and was popping old silver left, right, and centre. Some of it was soo deep that I was into the base layer of dirt and black organic stuff. Had to be really conscientious when filling my pits (and they WERE pits) to put the dark stuff in first and then the lighter sand. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya I've come close to buying that Infinium many times. I like the looks of it and most say the depth is unbeatable.

But the places I could use it here in Michigan are either state or Indian owned lands. If the DNR catches you even close to those areas it's bye bye birdie (nothing personal birdie).

This stinkin archeology thing is really hurting all of us.

Extra note: If I find out the SE really sucks I'll sell it and get an Infinium. I'll use my Tesoro for the trashy sites.

Willy

I've used the Infinium in areas with a lot of iron trash (all sizes) and, while noisy, it managed to do about as well as the VLF's re. goodies vs. iron trash. You just have to know how to set it and what to listen for. That said, it is definitely NOT, I repeat NOT, a lawn hunter. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Willy said:
I've used the Infinium in areas with a lot of iron trash (all sizes) and, while noisy, it managed to do about as well as the VLF's re. goodies vs. iron trash. You just have to know how to set it and what to listen for. That said, it is definitely NOT, I repeat NOT, a lawn hunter. ..Willy.

I can believe that. Most yards wouldn't take well to 20 inch deep holes. ;D

Last summer my Sovereign GT had me digging pieces of like 4-inch well pipe 30 inches down. Man I hate that! Not the digging, I mean what my wife did to me when she saw the yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread