What detector is right for me??

Expired

Greenie
Dec 9, 2007
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
None ATM.
I'm looking to mainly do some beach hunting, maybe some shallow water hunting, and occasionally some land.
This will be my first metal detector, and my budget is around $600. (Don't want to get a cheap one, and i plan to have it last a while)
I live in La Porte, Tx.. (Near Galveston and a fair amount of beaches)
I'm 19 and strong enough to dig everything, and dig deep all day long.
So I'm looking for a MD that will go around 1-2 ft deep, if not deeper. (Or as deep as I can get)

I was looking at the Tesoro Silver uMax for land use, and possibly some sand. Then I realized it wouldn't work well on sand, because it lacked adjustable ground balance.
I'm thinking about a Tesoro Tiger Shark, so that I will have an all around detector.

any opinions??
I also might need some help with what coil would be best for me.

thanks
-Nathan

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
used minelab excal or a sovereign does super well on beaches too but you can't get the box wet on the sov. Tiger shark or sand shark I heard are good too.

If you are serious and want to water hunt(which in your area should be awesome) then save or find the excal used. It has a learning curve and will frustrate the heck out of you at first but if you keep after it you will learn it and then be glad you did when you are pulling stuff out that others have missed.

You need to find someone in the area and try one out and if you do get it, have them help you out getting the tones and settings down.

Have a good one

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Expired,

O.K. your on the right track about getting a detector with adj. ground balance. The very best in the Tesoro lineup for that is the Lobo supertraq ($639.20). I think the Tesoro TS is a better choice because it gives you the capability to go in the water. Understand that you really need to hip mount the TS for it to work for you on the beach. I hunt 4 or 5 hrs. at a clip with it hip mounted and I'm OLD. I tun on the TS when I get to the beach and NEVER touch a control on it in the four hours or so. At $599.20 it's right in your price range. If your hunting for coins and jewelry we are not talking "1 - 2' " here. Digging deep holes is just not the way to go when water hunting. to make the good finds you need to get your numbers up. Speed! Spending 10 min. digging a deep hole is not the way to go. Stay away from Pulse because you will dig too much iron. Let me know here what you think or PM me. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Txkickergirl and Joe are right on recommendations. I suggest you read all you can about metal detecting and check out the site http://thegoldenolde.com/

Most land detectors will handle the dry sand at a beach but the wet saltwater sand calls for a dedicated water detector. The Pulse Induction detectors are very different from VLF's and have a very hard time discriminating iron so you could dig deep holes for a bobby pin where disc out iron will allow you to sweep more area to improve chances of finding those gold rngs.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expired said:
I live in La Porte, Tx.. (Near Galveston and a fair amount of beaches)
I'm 19 and strong enough to dig everything, and dig deep all day long.
So I'm looking for a MD that will go around 1-2 ft deep, if not deeper. (Or as deep as I can get)

thanks
-Nathan

Some excellent advice from people who know above. You say your "19 and strong enough to dig everything, and dig deep all day long", but that will not stop the frustration from digging tiny pieces of iron 18 - 24 inches deep. If your in a location where there is no trash it's great, but if your not it will really suck. I would advise you get one that will descriminate or null out the iron.

I have had friends, (young friends) who had PI's who started off digging everything, but got tired fast of digging 2 foot holes for bobby pins. I would walk over, scan it with my Excal, tell them its iron and go on hunting myself. They never proved me wrong.

Something to remember, the huge amount of time spent digging tiny pieces of iron at a beach is time wasted when you could be finding something nice. The more area you cover the more potential targets you will find, that is why I use my Sov GT and the WOT when I'm not physically in the water.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Some excellent advice from people who know above. You say your "19 and strong enough to dig everything, and dig deep all day long", but that will not stop the frustration from digging tiny pieces of iron 18 - 24 inches deep. If your in a location where there is no trash it's great, but if your not it will really suck. I would advise you get one that will descriminate or null out the iron.

I have had friends, (young friends) who had PI's who started off digging everything, but got tired fast of digging 2 foot holes for bobby pins. I would walk over, scan it with my Excal, tell them its iron and go on hunting myself. They never proved me wrong.

Something to remember, the huge amount of time spent digging tiny pieces of iron at a beach is time wasted when you could be finding something nice. The more area you cover the more potential targets you will find, that is why I use my Sov GT and the WOT when I'm not physically in the water.

Excellent post. Right on all the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread