Where to find old coins!!!!

F

free2Dtect

I talked (P M) someone last night and mentioned starting this thread. Purpose is to let viewers see what types of sites older coins are being found in. Not to give out exact locations! This should help others find older and more valueable coins. I wish to see people post new finds in todays finds section thru out the coming summer. After all we will never get it all, so we might as will share the wealth.
My favorite two sidewalk tearups and house demo sites.

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• digginganimals.jpg
    digginganimals.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 884
  • digginganimals.jpg
    digginganimals.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 894

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Wow, great string Free. Wish I had more time to read more strings on this site. Learned alot from what I've read of this string already. Just posting so it will come up on my replies list and I can finish reading it....THANKS CONTRIBUTORS!!!!!~CO2 ;D

P

PrizmIV

Hey free, pm and ill tell u my address u can send them to me and i will "appraise them" ::)

G

Gooddog

Free2Dtect said:
Here is an 1889 seated dime, yard demo site. Believe you seen this before.

Hey Free, I hate to sound stupid, but what do you mean by "yard demo"???? Help a newbie out, woof woof.

G

Gooddog

Free2Dtect said:
Today all I found was an 1892 Indian Head, and an 1902 Liberty nickle. Only two coins today. Yard demo is describled further in the thread.

Huh? :-\ Where is it discribled? Tell me about the discibled please :'( Can you tell me what thread you discribled it on? :P much thanks in advance

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Michigan Badger said:
Here's a tip I don't usually share but we're family here, right?

Anyway....When they prepare property for a new development, they often scrape off the top 3 to 8 inches of top soil and haul it away. Yes that's right, they take it someplace else (not always).

I discovered they often use this contaminated solid to encourage grass/weed growth in ditches and other such city properties.

Whenever you see a major reconstruction job going on, don't forget to ask the workers if the top layer of soil is to be removed and where they plan to take it.
here ya go goodog: demo sites are where they demolish an old house, resurface the land and build a new one..read on...

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Free2Dtect said:
Minelab is right about scraping off soil, I did a spot they took off 8-10 inches. Got gold coin that was lower down. Lots of relics and coins are still on the site of project. Coin is the 1843D $5.
and I hope this helps! ;D
That's a gooddog! Dig!

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
So, you'd want to check the place they just took the soil from as well as where they carried to to right!

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stoney I don't know why but when I go back to those old county fairgrounds I still get lots of silver. I know they been worked to death, but I have yet to come out of one of those county fairgrounds without silver. That blakwell one just keeps kicking them out. Another of my favorites is old swimming holes.

Wild Boulder

G

Gooddog

Free2Dtect said:
I'm going to post the rest of my tips and finds in the charter member area from now on.

What? :o .....wait, come on free, us newbies need some tips too. How many posts does it take to become a charter member? I've got 6 hours and 4 minutes on this forum allready :P and I am still not a charter member, dang. :'(

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free,

Nice finds. Both of my pre 1900 finds are also Indian Heads. i guess that was a popular coin back then. I know it had more buying power. By the way, Thanks for the tips.

G

Gooddog

here ya go goodog: demo sites are where they demolish an old house, resurface the land and build a new one..read on...

Hey cool, thanks omnicognic I really appreciate the tip. Don't know if they do that up here in this part of Minnesota where I live, but I will keep an eye out.

A

avdan

You can't find old coins in USA.Because,USA is a new country.The coins which you can find are not older than 150-200. years old,and those are not valuable.If you really would like to find old,valuable and real historical coins or anythink real OLD;then you should go out of USA.You can go (greece,italy,bulgaria and of course turkey where the romans and byzantinions center).I m sure you will be able to find many things over there,but first,you must have a powerfull device,second,you must have reliable friends,third,you must have time and patience.As you know;Romans,byzantinions and ottomans have very long historical backround,so that we can imagine what they left behind.They used to use gold and silver coins.I have found some of them,maybe you saw them in the post.But still searching the gold one.I m sure ı'll find them. I wish you a GREAT SUCCES in searching (OLD) coins. If you have any questions,ı'll be here!

Z

ZumbroKid

Some of the same questions, asked on finding old coins are answered in this thread. So I'll bring it back up. Maybe one of the members has spotted a site like the ones in this post.

Z

ZumbroKid

Not a criteria at all. Most say they want to break this century mark, easy way to do it. Back where you come from they much older.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lets do a little history review here folks...

Oklahoma's recorded history began in 1541 when Spanish explorer Coronado ventured through the area on his quest for the "Lost City of Gold." The land that would eventually be known as Oklahoma was part of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase........people have found coins and armor from this era in their fields....

Why do you think there are no old coins in the US to be found???? Do you think that these pioneers came from different countries with no money in their pockets????? Some very wealthy families came from England and Ireland........it only stands to reason they brought money with them.

My ggggrandparents were some of the first pioneers into Arkansas in 1836. My ggggrandfathers brother ,took his entire family onward to Oklahoma and settled there in 1837.Their father owned land in TN in 1820...granted to them for serving in the War of 1812......Their family came from West VA where they were plantation owners. These people had money.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
A good place that I have found out about but haven't hit yet. Chautauqua grounds. I don't know if they had these back east, but out here they were popular around the turn of the century. Kinda like a traveling fair/show, set up in tents in some field. They were popular before radio, tv, movie theaters, etc. as a source of entertainment. I plan to hit my first this spring, will definately post my finds, lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread