Coil question....need the pros advice

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a friend yesterday, and he said his property was once a 'mining camp/trading post' in the late 1800's. A small creek runs through the property. I am not sure if black dirt was brought in to build up the yard or not. The east bank is higher than the west bank. The creak is only about 10' across and about 1 1/2 - 2' deep. It was cold yesterday so I was there for only a little while. All I could find were beer cans buried about 5 - 7" deep, a 9mm shell casing and 1 penny (on the west bank, south side of the house). Anyhow, I was thinking that if there is anything there, it would be deep. So what size coil would be better...the 8" or 10"? When it warms up, I'd like to try the east bank and the creek. The north side they have horses in a small pasture, and south is the front yard to the house.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Upvote 0

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Larger coils go deeper but are less sensitive to smaller targets. Not a lot of difference between an 8" and 10" coil. A DD coil will do better in soil that is highly mineralized. Keep your discrimination low and dig all targets. Newer trash can hide the older, better, deeper targets. It's best to bite the bullet and just get rid of the shallow trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread