How to Research Where to Go

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
OK guys and gals. I've got my MD on the way and I've got some obvious places to go in mind such as around parks, old existing houses, spots where it's easy to tell where an old house way, etc... My question is about how to find those less obvious places.

I recently read a story about a guy who went to a couple of places that had been picnic areas/parks, old home sites, army encampments, ferry crossings, etc. Today these places were completely overgrown and "wild." How'd he ever find these places to look? It seems to me that this is where you'll have the best chance of finding old coins and relics. At least that what this guy was pulling. He was pulling out coins and relics from the late 1700s and lots from the 1800s.

I'm lead to believe that it takes scholarly research to identify these places. Furthermore, they're probably "virgin" metal dectection areas. How does one find them?

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a lot of infomation on old sites from the local and state historical societies.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmileo said:
I get a lot of infomation on old sites from the local and state historical societies.

Research is the "key" and it don't come easy and or free in most cases. Not necessarily any large money cost either but, painstaking research cost a lot of time, and effort. Library, historical society, museums, etc. These places are just a start, and are loaded with information.

I've sifted through 1000s of old newspaper articals on micro film, etc. and have done all sorts of research through books, maps, internet, etc. etc. It's what you do in the off season to ready yourself for the warmer seasons to detect and find good places to hunt. (At least I do/have done).

Good luck,

HH

Lonewolfe

P

PrizmIV

Im also from da al what city u from huntsville here 8)

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
HI, I HAVE BEEN USING OLD TOPO MAPS TO LOCATE HOMES THAT ARE NOW GONE. tHESE OLD MAPS TELL ALOT ABOUT AN AREA SUCH AS SCHOOLS, CHURCHES, AND GRAVEYARDS. yOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL DISCOVER!!!!
HH
GREG

OP
OP
alabamadan

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Mine should have been delivered today. I'll play with it this weekend. It was on backorder.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
hey LD, printing is a problem with these maps. I found that right click and saving them and then sending them to an imaging program you can manipulate the size. I can print certain sections that way and/or blow them up to see detail. Absolutely the best website of its type that I've found so far.
Good luck!!!!
HH Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread