Hunting an OLD stone foundation, need some suggestions!!! (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED APRIL 14, 2008

So I finally made it out to the foundation this past weekend. The hunting was quite difficult, tons of iron and briars in the area. I used my 5.3 coil which made it a bit easier. I think I am going to have to systematically remove all the iron to see if there is anything below. The finds were disappointing, but they do seem to indicate that this was a home rather than a barn. The only semi-exciting find was the clasp from an old coin purse. Unfortunately there were no coins in the hole with, I double and triple checked. Toward the end of the day, I may have found the dump site. There was some glass and a few bits of pottery. I need to do some more excavating to see if there is any more.

UNTIL NEXT TIME!!

I have access to an amazing site. It is small group of OLD stone foundations, all of which have collapsed in on themselves. I can't find these buildings on any old maps, as far back as an 1876 atlas that shows all current landowners and dwellings. I have a great feeling about this place.

I thought about spending a day/weekend cleaning up the site first. Like I said, the walls have mostly collapsed in and stone fills the inside of the foundation now and the cellar hole. It will probably be a laborious task to move all the stone, however, I would think that whatever is to be found will be beneath the pile. My plan is to trim/mow an area at a 10 foot radius around the main foundation, dig everything, all iron signals, junk, etc, then meticulously search the same area for the deeper signals. After that, I want to move all, most of the stone from the inside of the foundation, to the outside where I have already searched, to gain access to the ground within. Then, again, dig all the signals at first, clearing out any junk and iron, then doing a thorough search of the inside. THEN, possibly even sifting the majority of the dirt within the hole for any glass, pottery, clay, etc, that I may have missed. I have never had access to a site with so much potential, so I want to make sure I take advantage of it. I have the plan laid out in my head, I just want to be sure it's reasonable.

My question is, have any of you ever completely cleaned up a site before hunting it? Is it worth moving possibly tons of stone to gain access to the ground within the foundation? Any suggestions on how I could more effectively overhaul this site?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Attachments

• foundation1.JPG
    foundation1.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 644
  • foundation2.JPG
    foundation2.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,816
  • foundation3.JPG
    foundation3.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 820
  • finds.JPG
    finds.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 558
  • coinpurse.JPG
    coinpurse.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 488
  • bottle.JPG
    bottle.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 477
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hunting an OLD stone foundation, need some suggestions!!!

DrDetector said:
As HD said, we would be interested in at least giving you a hand clearing the place up. One of my BEST sites, which produced numerous silver coins, Indian head cents and early wheats was a foundation like that, but not out in the middle of the woods. I detected around it but due to school and time restraints I could not get to it thoroughly with loppers and really get the best out of that place. Unfortunately it was graded by bulldozers and it's gone now. My point is, even if you think your site is not in danger of being destroyed, you should really do the best you can with it while you can. PM me if you'd ever want help with it, I'd be willing to at least come check it out, as I'm not far from Bridgeville.

Thanks for the offer. I sent a message to Halfdime last night. I need make sure the landowner doesn't mind having more people at the site, but I can't imagine it will be a problem. Another reason I think this place has a lot of potential is that I was told that there used to be a village at the location. I couldn't find anything that showed any homes/buildings on maps as far back as 1876. And when I checked out the location, I found this huge foundation within minutes of my search, and knew there was SOMETHING there. I checked the area and was only able to find 2 confirmed stone foundations, however, that doesn't mean there aren't cellar holes or other foundations somewhere. I am itching to get out there and start pounding.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Kiros32 said:
DrDetector said:
As HD said, we would be interested in at least giving you a hand clearing the place up. One of my BEST sites, which produced numerous silver coins, Indian head cents and early wheats was a foundation like that, but not out in the middle of the woods. I detected around it but due to school and time restraints I could not get to it thoroughly with loppers and really get the best out of that place. Unfortunately it was graded by bulldozers and it's gone now. My point is, even if you think your site is not in danger of being destroyed, you should really do the best you can with it while you can. PM me if you'd ever want help with it, I'd be willing to at least come check it out, as I'm not far from Bridgeville.

Thanks for the offer. I sent a message to Halfdime last night. I need make sure the landowner doesn't mind having more people at the site, but I can't imagine it will be a problem. Another reason I think this place has a lot of potential is that I was told that there used to be a village at the location. I couldn't find anything that showed any homes/buildings on maps as far back as 1876. And when I checked out the location, I found this huge foundation within minutes of my search, and knew there was SOMETHING there. I checked the area and was only able to find 2 confirmed stone foundations, however, that doesn't mean there aren't cellar holes or other foundations somewhere. I am itching to get out there and start pounding.
You're starting to make me salivate!

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

so when is it that your going to the site? do us all a favor and snap us some photos of the area, good luck!!!!!! ;D

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chong2mry said:
so when is it that your going to the site? do us all a favor and snap us some photos of the area, good luck!!!!!! ;D

As soon as the weather cooperates, I will head out there with my camera and snap as many pics as I can.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Montana Jim said:
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Hire some Egyptians. ;)

:D :D

I'd hit everything else and save the work and cleanup for last if the area produces. It may have never been anything more than a hay shed and you'll figure that out quickley. If it was a residence there might be indication of a junk pile nearby which could be extreamly productive!

Remember - it's prolly just a relic hunt if it's that old and rural... and unknown. Not too many farmers in remote areas had two cents to rub together.

I agree with Montana Jim. Hit the area hard around the foundation stones to establish if it was a residence. Perhaps a test dig in the foundation will turn up some relics. Trashy areas -trash dumps? Water Well? Remember you are in PA and the site may date back to the early 1800's and those goodies may be deep. Establish how deep the relics(if any) are. I menition this as years ago I detected some virgin old tavern sites (early to mid 1800's) which consisted of just foundation stones and stove coal debris. I was seeing lots of coal cinders which indicated I was at the right place as the place was heated. I found numerous coins inside the foundations but little in the grassy areas around the site. The stable ground inside the foundation(coarse rock and cinders) prevented the coins and relics from moving very deep. It was only later with the advent of better technology that I went back and recovered the deeper coins that I had missed in the grassy areas. In other words you don't want to cover up the area you may detect in the future with better technology with trash.

My 2 cents
George

dabprod

Greenie
Mar 3, 2008
Wolf Lake, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Whites Beach Hunter ID 300

Wow, To bad I'm not closer to you, I would come over in my motor home and bring my little Termite back hoe on a trailer and we would clean that place up quick. I could stay in the MH and we could work almost non stop. However you decide to do it please take lots of pics to document everything from start to finish and post them here for all of us to enjoy, we're lickin our chops. Good luck and be safe.

Dan

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still want to clean up the site, but my first attempt at a real dig is in my original post at the top. Let me know what you think!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions