Hunting an OLD stone foundation, need some suggestions!!! (UPDATED WITH PICS)

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED APRIL 14, 2008

So I finally made it out to the foundation this past weekend. The hunting was quite difficult, tons of iron and briars in the area. I used my 5.3 coil which made it a bit easier. I think I am going to have to systematically remove all the iron to see if there is anything below. The finds were disappointing, but they do seem to indicate that this was a home rather than a barn. The only semi-exciting find was the clasp from an old coin purse. Unfortunately there were no coins in the hole with, I double and triple checked. Toward the end of the day, I may have found the dump site. There was some glass and a few bits of pottery. I need to do some more excavating to see if there is any more.

UNTIL NEXT TIME!!

I have access to an amazing site. It is small group of OLD stone foundations, all of which have collapsed in on themselves. I can't find these buildings on any old maps, as far back as an 1876 atlas that shows all current landowners and dwellings. I have a great feeling about this place.

I thought about spending a day/weekend cleaning up the site first. Like I said, the walls have mostly collapsed in and stone fills the inside of the foundation now and the cellar hole. It will probably be a laborious task to move all the stone, however, I would think that whatever is to be found will be beneath the pile. My plan is to trim/mow an area at a 10 foot radius around the main foundation, dig everything, all iron signals, junk, etc, then meticulously search the same area for the deeper signals. After that, I want to move all, most of the stone from the inside of the foundation, to the outside where I have already searched, to gain access to the ground within. Then, again, dig all the signals at first, clearing out any junk and iron, then doing a thorough search of the inside. THEN, possibly even sifting the majority of the dirt within the hole for any glass, pottery, clay, etc, that I may have missed. I have never had access to a site with so much potential, so I want to make sure I take advantage of it. I have the plan laid out in my head, I just want to be sure it's reasonable.

My question is, have any of you ever completely cleaned up a site before hunting it? Is it worth moving possibly tons of stone to gain access to the ground within the foundation? Any suggestions on how I could more effectively overhaul this site?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Attachments

• foundation1.JPG
    foundation1.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 645
  • foundation2.JPG
    foundation2.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,817
  • foundation3.JPG
    foundation3.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 821
  • finds.JPG
    finds.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 558
  • coinpurse.JPG
    coinpurse.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 488
  • bottle.JPG
    bottle.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 478
Upvote 0

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Re: Hunting an OLD stone foundation, need some suggestions!!!

i woud run the the detector first, but heck ya! check it out

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter

I agree with cleaning it up if you think it will be worth it. even if you dont find a whole lot at least you will be able to sleep instead of wondering would could be. i have cleaned up tall grass in order to hunt, so its not that off the wall. another option would be to lay down a piece of plywood over the tall grass and swing over it, move it and start over. up to you how u want to do it. but like i said if you think it will be worth it then have at it.
The land owner doesnt mind you moving stuff around?

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jonnyrebel00 said:
I agree with cleaning it up if you think it will be worth it. even if you dont find a whole lot at least you will be able to sleep instead of wondering would could be. i have cleaned up tall grass in order to hunt, so its not that off the wall. another option would be to lay down a piece of plywood over the tall grass and swing over it, move it and start over. up to you how u want to do it. but like i said if you think it will be worth it then have at it.
The land owner doesnt mind you moving stuff around?

I thought about the plywood, but most of what needs to be cut are the thick and impossibly resiliant briars that may not lay so easily. My main concern is all of the stone. It is seeming more and more like a tremendous job, but even if I run the detector over the site and get a good signal, I will most likely have to move a stone or 2 to get to it, so I figure why not move it all first.

The landowner is a good friend of mine and the site is on 600 acres of his property, in the woods, a drive away from the house. Because its in such a remote place, I know it has never been touched with a metal detector.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used

Then have at it. No one can really tell you how successful of an outing it will be. If you have the energy get out there and clean that place up so we can see what you find. It could be worth the effort or it could be a huge wash. u just never know. GL in whichever u decide to do.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it was me I think I would search everything else in the area and leave moving the stones for last. It sounds like you could be very busy digging targets for a long time just hunting the surrounding area.

I had a friend that had a similar place and it dated back to the 1700's. Same thing everything fell in. I attempted to search the inside and it was kind of impossible. And when I did move a lot of stuff there was so much junk, old nails etc. it just turned out to be overwhelming. I did better searching the surrounding area and did find some nice old stuff including an old 1700s coin...

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600

I agree with Bill above. . . that is a LOT of work, and you are just as likely to find
coins in the clear areas as under tons of rock. You have to compute in your time
and labor against the value of what you find.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

UncleVinnys said:
I agree with Bill above. . . that is a LOT of work, and you are just as likely to find
coins in the clear areas as under tons of rock. You have to compute in your time
and labor against the value of what you find.

I agree, but the one problem is I don't know what I will find. There may just be junk under the stones...and there may be a cache, that's the beauty of metal detecting - the unknown. I am going to hit it this weekend hopefully and see how much effort this will actually involve.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Hire some Egyptians. ;)

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Hire some Egyptians. ;)

:D :D

I'd hit everything else and save the work and cleanup for last if the area produces. It may have never been anything more than a hay shed and you'll figure that out quickley. If it was a residence there might be indication of a junk pile nearby which could be extreamly productive!

Remember - it's prolly just a relic hunt if it's that old and rural... and unknown. Not too many farmers in remote areas had two cents to rub together.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut

hello Kiros32 that's all i usually hunt or old cellar or foundations , first and foremost bring a buddy just for safety reasons who knows what could happen removing those stones ,I've had close calls from falling trees as well. checking out the inside of a cellar hole is a very time consuming and exhausting job , be prepared to dig a lot of iron . don't just limit yourself to just around the hole , i have personally found picnic sites hundreds of yards away that have produced scores of buttons and coins as well of other items . if you have a good length of time to explore these areas take you time grid off sections at a time use as little discrimination as possible . then when you have exhausted the area try tackling the cellar . Del

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

leddel said:
first and foremost bring a buddy just for safety reasons

I'd help but I'm too far away....
j_11sealed_3blue_b.gif

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

Are these stones cut stones or field rock type stones . Many neat things can be constructed from cut stones & I collect all of them I can get . I also know people that pay good money for old cut stones . If they are cut stones & your friend will let you have them , I would remove the stones & take them home
with me . You would need at least the use of a pickup truck . Then I would finishing cleaning up the area
& detect & check everything . It seems as though you would have no time limit at this site so you could
take your time & work on it as you get time or wanted to . Sounds like a lot of work & you may not find
any great finds but you never know . I probably wouldn't try to do it all at once but it sounds like the type
of place you could go back to whenever you want . Good luck .

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used

Hire some Egyptians. ;)

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

or Edward Leedskalnin

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I have a place like that in the woods in back of me....................I was thinking of renting a real small bull dozer and try to take the brush and top layer down about 1/2 inch......Then detect and then sift the dirt i pushed aside........................................................==Jim==

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

the area around the foundation sounds like a job for a brush hog type mower/chipper..like some others stated in earlier posts...

you have unlimited access to the area so you could take your time..

bringing someone or a few people with you to help you is safe sound advice in case of emergency if the situation may arise...

And even if you don't find too many coins,relics,etc. you will still be getting the area cleaned up of debris....

Lastly you will never know unless you try...could have the find of a life time...ya never know

good luck,sounds like a promissing site

Shawn

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WV Hillbilly said:
Are these stones cut stones or field rock type stones . Many neat things can be constructed from cut stones & I collect all of them I can get . I also know people that pay good money for old cut stones . If they are cut stones & your friend will let you have them , I would remove the stones & take them home
with me . You would need at least the use of a pickup truck . Then I would finishing cleaning up the area
& detect & check everything . It seems as though you would have no time limit at this site so you could
take your time & work on it as you get time or wanted to . Sounds like a lot of work & you may not find
any great finds but you never know . I probably wouldn't try to do it all at once but it sounds like the type
of place you could go back to whenever you want . Good luck .

I think they are mostly field rock. I do have access to this site for as long as I need, so I could potentially do the site over an entire summer if I needed to.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

jonnyrebel00 said:
Hire some Egyptians. ;)

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

or Edward Leedskalnin

jonnyrebel00,

love is so strange,

and so is magnetism. ;)

have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Kiros, you have a good plan, and I know two detectorists in your area who might be willing to help with this project. We're actually doing this now at a foundation area in the Baden area. With access like you have, there is no excuse for not doing it thoroughly!

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

As HD said, we would be interested in at least giving you a hand clearing the place up. One of my BEST sites, which produced numerous silver coins, Indian head cents and early wheats was a foundation like that, but not out in the middle of the woods. I detected around it but due to school and time restraints I could not get to it thoroughly with loppers and really get the best out of that place. Unfortunately it was graded by bulldozers and it's gone now. My point is, even if you think your site is not in danger of being destroyed, you should really do the best you can with it while you can. PM me if you'd ever want help with it, I'd be willing to at least come check it out, as I'm not far from Bridgeville.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread