whats your experience with high school football fields

S

stefen

Re: what's your experience with high school football fields

Try around the concession stands and under the bleachers...also along the path of travel from the stands to the concessions...

Not going to find much in the stadium fields although you can try the smaller practice fields where you have the weekend warriors playing grab-a** with loose change in their levi's.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

"what's your experience with high school football fields"

I was young, she was young. It was a time of learning
and growing. It was the best of times.

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

S

stefen

;D

Attachments

• Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 703
  • Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 704

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have hunted some football fields, my only finds were dimes and a couple of quarters. It seemed that most of the finds were centered around the bleachers. I woul suggest that anywhere there were people sitting or buying something you could have the potential of digging up something

HH

PTP

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100

I have no patience for the field itself, but I search the sidelines where the coaches and parents are jumping around and screaming :)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree with the weekend warriors losing change. If you're gonna work the field, do some kind of mental gridding. I found the center portions of the field got the most coins, where people line up.

The one I hit sometimes had metal bleachers so i don't hit it...the concession stand was modernized to have asphalt around it so nada there. I think the fields been hit hard a few times..but...it's still a BIG area.

Al

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

ROTFLMBO....good one.

I can't hunt the football fields around my area. They are all fenced in.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

ahhhhhh the good ol days before fences and security cameras

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Mikeo ! I'm always wanting to hunt high school football fields ,it's the first place these bored
kids go between classes at lunch etc. They throw football, frisbees, jump up and grab the goal posts.
When the track and field athletes practice or have meets they toss their gear bags and warm up jackets
onto the end of the fields near the goal posts, I'm thinking possible ring, coin and necklace losses.
My actual experience with school athletic fields has been strong on clad

I've done rather well in both quarters/ clad and jewelry/rings , in these settings. Think young fairly
irresponseable youth with coin and bling to lose. What don't you like about that picture ? Go get it !!!
Gregory, Santa Fe.

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL

Shermanville, that spark relit a candle that's been dim for a LONG time...And yes MUCH before locked gates & security cameras! ;D ;D ;D

BillyC

Jan 28, 2008

I been pretty lucky with the finds around the path to and from the fields. One field I went to and still do is a multi use field. This past summer I got there one Saturday and found the bleachers had been moved. I hit the old location and really did real good with the clad.

Most of the fields are locked up around here also. I have only found a few that are not. These are good spots, Beale.

doctorbb

Nov 2, 2007
CA via TX

I hunt the high school stadium here all the time. I'm fortunate that they leave a gate open for people to use the track around the field. I tried under the bleachers but it's a small school so they aren't very tall, kinda hard to manuver under. I do really well in the grass areas leading from the bleachers to the concessions and restrooms. These areas also serve as picnic and P.E. areas for the high school, so there's lots of trash. I'll grid for a while till I get tired of digging pull tabs then I switch to my custom coin program I saved, and cherry pick a lot of clad. I block edit accept +20 to +26 and +78 to +94. and reject everything else. That way all I dig are nickels (and a few tabs), copper pennies, dimes and quarters. Most of it is surface to 3" so it's quick pickins.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Our local HS field is off limits. I've been told no digging ON THE FIELD. But I do hunt all around. Hard to hunt with all of the trash. Not one of my favorite spots.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most state property is OFF limits in many of the states ive hunted. Ive found if there is a track around the ball field where the starting line is for track events is where many remove their running pants and loose most of their items.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

I find dimes and pennies on those fields...I also use a screw driver in places where the lawn is well kept...Good luck.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's about focused effort on athletic fields. With football fields, certain areas will be better than others:
Around Concession stands
Funnel points at entrances and exits
Under the older style bleachers
Areas where kids tend to congregate.

Some spots you might not think of:
The shadow areas where the "black sheep" kids hang out
The goal post area
The center of the field at the 50 yard line
The sidelines where the teams are during the game.

Visit sometime when the stadium is full, during a game or track meet, etc. Learn where people go and where they are the most focused - that is always the key to finding anything with a detector. Learning to watch people go about their business is one of the most imprtant techniques youll ever learn.

However, keep in mind that if you are an elitist detectorist, one who "can't be bothered" to recover clad coin or modern trash, then a football field isn't for you. Also, a good sniper coil will be a needed part of your arsenal, as you need to do a lot of work around trashy areas. However, some of my best JEWELRY finds have come from athletic fields, including football venues. That should tip you off as to why you should bother with such places, at all.

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007

Stay off the actual field. Work the sidelines and concession stand areas. Most fields are reseeded, fertilized, and watered. Common sense dictates to STAY OFF or we will be forbidden to hunt these spots. R.L.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree and disagree.
You are right, of course. But it it will also pay to know before hand.
I know the people who take care of my local field because I went and talked to them. They dont mind if Im there, except that they have to lock the field most of the time, so it is harder to get into than before. But, if I had taken your advice and never spoken to them, I might never get to hunt the middle.
The moral - dont assume anything. Ask.

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE

Ive done very well on soccer fields. Football fields are a different story. I would repeat what others have said, stay on the sidelines and consession stands. Around here high school football is a BIG deal, although not too me. . If anyone ever trips on that field after a detector was spotted, it will be vigilante justice for detectorists. HH :O)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions