All Treasure Hunting
You da man AA... dam good tip n finds... :thumbsup:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I always hunt in all metal. It is a pain in the butt to dig all the signals, but you are not missing the good stuff by discriminating it out.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I've been lazy and haven't dug every signal. Guess I'll start doing so on my next hunt. Nice finds!

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
I recently re-watched the ace 250 instructional dvd as well as bench testing the second ace 250 I now own. The only one of my wifes gold, silver, platinum rings that gave a bell"coin" tone was the silver. The gold and platinum hit as nickles?!
Do you know how many gold & platinum rings I've passes up? Well I havent found one yet. I've switched from coin or jewelry mode to relics full time and dig all signals. My 28y/o legs have to take it the wallet needs it.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never found nickles, well maybe one or 2 over the years, until I got my DFX. Taking the time to learn and understand the VDI, the tones, icons, etc...playing with the settings.....now I find them, but like you, I tend to dig most anything.

With my old analog, knob adjustment type detectors, i simply discriminated too high for nickles.I hunt in a lot of trashy areas...very trashy areas!

Now if I can find that gold ring or coin. :'(
Al

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
But digging everything makes all these new fangled machines with all those fancy high dollar features obsolete! Oh well!! So much for all those new fangled units!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sometimes it just isnt practical to dig it all. without a doubt, if you are not digging all signals you are missing stuff, but at some sites, you wouldnt move 10 feet in 3 hours if you dug it all. it all depends on the site for me.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When there is a lot of trash I use discrimination and don,t dig all. I find 90% of my finds using, coin & jewelry settings on my EXP II. I do find quite a few nickels. Basically I let the site tell me how to hunt if fit is clean I don,t use much discrimination and dig almost all targets. When I started learning to detecting and when using a new machine I dig all, but after learning the machines I do not and I feel I find more and better items.

Ed D.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I only dig everything at old sites or places I have to travel to get to and won't be able to return. If I run over to a local park, no way I am digging everthing. Way to much trash. Will I miss some gold jewelry? Probably, but I am not going to dig a thousand tabs to find a piece. Now if the area is not all that trashy, I will dig more if the signals are steady. Nickels are easy to pick out. They always read 18 or 20 and only a few of the modern tabs come up at 20 without jumping. Nothing wrong with digging it all, just not for me and when I get to a place and tell myself I am going to dig everything, it usually only lasts for about an hour.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
sometimes it just isnt practical to dig it all. without a doubt, if you are not digging all signals you are missing stuff, but at some sites, you wouldnt move 10 feet in 3 hours if you dug it all. it all depends on the site for me.
True some areas are so bad its not worth detecting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tim Nugget and Hollowpoinred, thank you for your words of wisdom. The advice of "dig everything" does not work for every type hunt site. There are hunt sites that, quite frankly, would not be worth a person's time to strip-mine. Example: they tore down some humongous 1920s grandstands in my town, that had had hardpan dirt below them. For 70+ yrs, trash and coins rained down from the slats above. When they tore out the stands to make-way for new stands, the naked dirt stood for 1 glorious week 8) Each day after the workers cut out, we went there and harvested silver (and even a $5 gold was found, but those read higher than round tab). There was simply no way a person was going to be a hero and look for gold rings or nickels, d/t it was an ocean of pulltabs. You'd have averaged 100 tabs for each nickel. It was only possible to go for mid and high conductors, since the window of time before fill-dirt was added, would end the hunt. Did we miss nickels? Sure. But did we dig hundreds of silver coins that we would otherwise have not been able to? Sure. Time did not allow for strip-mining. You were either going to dig silver, or see the site covered forever, while you gathered a nice pulltab collection.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With more and more schools removing soft drink machines from the campuses, maybe the school yards will one day be pop top free. My Great Great Grandkids will love that. ::)

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
It's a very good thing to dig everything when you don't want to miss anything. I'm lucky with my X-Terra 70. It gives good solid signals of 10 to 12 on the nickles. A good solid tone is dug unless it's obvious that it's in the iron range. Using pattern one on the 70 eliminates the iron junk, but still is sensitive to Gold and nickles. Gold can vary widely depending on the size, position and depth, but will give a solid signal if it's not really deep. I'm sure that I have missed a thing or two on the iffy sounding signals, but I do cover a lot more ground over all metal and digging everything. If I find an area that's giving me good finds, I will take the time to dig most every signal, even if it's not a sharp one. Maybe once I retired and have the time, I'll get into digging everything. With limited time, I try to increase my odds by covering more ground. Hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot.

Good hunting, John K

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishstank said:
Stick those nickels into a potato. I hear is takes off all the junk