Tradgedy maybe turnin up something

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well, my wife, who I have been separated from for quite a few years, died last week. I came up to help my daughter and the family. Very tragic week. Well, I find out that the house was in her name and is now mine (until I sign it over to my daughter's grandmother to hold in trust for my daughter).

I won't say much about it, but what I do know means I will be bringing my metal detector when I come back next week. I never noticed all the historic signs up here. Just a stone's throw away from here is where the British troops retreated to during a major battle in the Revolution (I mean one official camp is about 100 yards away). They were caught here camped by American forces. There are "NO metal detecting" signs everywhere where there is woods etc in the area. Well, I now own land (at least for now, and I will always have access to it) right in the middle of where this military camp and battle happened! Pretty sure they can't keep me from metal detecting on what is my own land! It is a small plot of land, but it might yield some interesting finds. Maybe enough to pay for the cremation etc.

I will be up here again next week. I will let you know how it goes!

Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Stan, sorry to hear of your loss. She was an "ex", but she was a wife, too.

I'd say you just might dig up some goodies there. Keep in mind there might have been some dirt moving when the house was built, but I'd still hunt every inch of "my" property, from several directions, just to be sure. You might think of mowing down any tall grass, and raking up any accumulations of leaves, too. I've done that in the woods (raking), and it has paid off.

Good luck, and post your finds here!!

Roger

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well, I am all set for the hunt. It will happen tomorrow! My only worry is that the ACE may not get as deep as I need to find any of the good stuff. My father told me he has a metal detector, bought it many years ago for $69. He kept telling me I will never find anything. He is soooo encouraging! Then later he asked me if I could find a ring he lost about 50 years ago at his house!

I will take pictures of anything I find, junk or not, and post it. Well, that is unless I find a lost hoard of loot the British buried or something! If you never hear from me again I either died digging up an electrical line or I am busy hiding my fortune! Seriously though, I am not expecting to find much, but I am hoping for a little something, like a musket ball or something. Area digs by others have turned up musket balls, buckles, and some King George coppers, so maybe I will get lucky. After all, no one has ever searched this site before, and it is about 100 yards from where they found the British army camp.

If I find anything of historical significance, I will probably donate it. Really hoping for some coins or something I can use to help my daughter pay her mother's bills and cremation expenses.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Stay away from the electrical lines buddy!! >:( Great....now I will be wondering and waiting, wondering and waiting..... Not fair!

Sorry to hear of the tragedy and I will keep the family in my prayers, especially your daughter! Take care and at least check back in and let us know there was nothing "shocking" that happened!

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Many states and / or municipalities have made it illegal to MD / relic hunt in a Registered Historic District (i.e. anything that is on the National Register of Historic Places)

EVEN if you own it !!

Make sure you check the laws of your state and the city / town you will be in !!

(Just planting these little cedar trees sir..........The detector ? Oh, just making sure there aren't any wires where I dig...............)

Diggem'

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I did a bit of a look up, couldn't find anything. I did however come across the blog of a MDer and writer for a MD mag, and he does a hunt every year in the area where a farmer has his fields, so I should be ok. Well, I am hoping so anyways!

I am also looking for a ring that was lost while my wife was doing yard work ages ago. So that is my "main" reason to be swinging a MD in the yard!

I will do another look on the laws for upstate NY where I will be.

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well, I didn't find anything very old. Found some items about 4 inches down, and found some larger items about 6 inches down. Looks like things sink pretty quickly around here. I would need a detector that finds things MUCH deeper to get as old as I like.

Did find what looked like some old slag, and an old possibly lead bar (small) maybe for making bullets. That is just guessing, but I had a lot of fun! Looks like some kids were shooting pennies at each other in the yard, because there were TONS of pennies. I was popping pennies out of the turf all day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread