coin depth

revdrlon

Apr 19, 2008
owensboro, ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land star
i am just getting in to the whole detecting thing, tomorow i am going hunting with my mom, she has a GTI 2500. i have a bounty hunter land star on the way, should be here in 2 days. ive been reading up on all the various things and i think the only thing left to do is to go out and try it for myself. i have one question that i cant find an awnser to, how much deeper does a coin drop over how long of time? like how old would a coin thats 8 inches down be compared to one thats 2 inches down?

one thing that ive figured out is to search in all metal with no discrimination. i dont want to miss out on gold so i am going to dig everything. i have a lot of time on my hands so i dont mind spending 4 or 5 days a week on hunts.

oh, one more thing, does anybody know if the lcd on the landstar is backlit?

heh, one more question about the land star, does it have volume control? i have a really nice set of earbuds that i would like to use with it but they dont have a volume control on them. they have a lot better frequincy responce than most of the actuall detector phones ive seen and i have a 1/4" adapter for them. my moms detector has volume control so she is going to let me use her massive set for now, but not to seem too shallow but they are really big and look kinda dorky....

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Dunno about your Landstar, but will address the coin depth vs age question: It depends on the soil type, moisture, etc... Yes older coins are generally deeper in undisturbed ground. I've seen that to be as little as 1/2" for the clad, to 1" for the oldies (essentially no difference) in dry hard ground, to extremely stratified in the moist turf: 0 to 6" for the clad, and oldies START at 7"+. And even the oldies are stratified: '40s/50s wheats/silver at the 6" to 7" range, 20's/30s stuff at the 7" to 8" range, 00s to 10s stuff at the 8" to 9" range, etc....

But I'd venture to say that outside of moist turf or similar vegetation, you can find old coins shallow. Be aware that extreme vegetation areas, like under heavy shedding trees and jungle type leaf mold, etc... ALL coins and targets could be way deep. And in places like after beach storm erosion, or in old-town urban demoltion, old coins can be right on top. So it all just depends. The only time you'll get a constant "rule", is when you're in undisturbed turf (or similar) then dig a bunch of samples. See where the age correlates to the depth. Then after awhile, you can sort of make educated guesses of what the age of stuff might be, based on how deep it is. But that only goes for those specific type niche hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread