Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I tend to collect although if I found something I knew someone else was an avid collector of I would probably sell, trade or gift the item. I have not found any jewelry that was worth anything so I am not sure what I would do. If it was something I really liked I would probably wear it, if I thought it was pretty ugly I would probably sell, trade or gift it as well. For me it is more about finding the stuff than anything really. ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I sell everything i find if there is a market for it..................If i find something my wife wants or my kids i give it to them................I am not a collector i do not hoard................The items i find do me no good to just pull out and look at now and then.................But i will tell you one thing i do like.......$$$$$$$$..........now that does me good..............For my Ego to show off what i have found forget it...........No one needs to know what i find but myself...................................==Jim==

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
All clad change goes in a 5 gallon jug.
Silver is kept in a case.
Pull tabs -I have been saving in aluminium soda cans at the end of each year I take to the recyclers -for 2008 I have filled two cans so far -these add up and pays for batteries.
Jewelry I give to my wife or it is hoarded......
If bottle caps were worth anything I could retire. Scrooge

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep everything minus the pull tabs. My son's class uses them or collects them for something.

The lead I find I keep in a bucket. I will never have to buy fishing weights again in my lifetime.

The older coins (silver etc) goes into a special collection of my finds.

The clad gets thrown in a box, one day I will tumble it and cash it in. (I cashed in two rolls of quarters, but the $20 is in the box)

The jewelry I give to my wife (I loan it to her :wink: ).

The other junk, depending if it is of historical value or modern garbage. If its modern it goes to the trash.

I look at it this way. I have just my time, the detector, and gasoline invested in this hobby. I would be spending close to the same on other sports and would not be receiving anything in return. The goodies that are found are the bonus.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Captain Loosechange said:
I was just wondering what do all you folks do with the things you find? Do you sell or trade them or maybe collect/hoard them. I tend to collect/hoard the older coins and the lone militia belt plate that I have found. I am most interested in finding old coins. Any jewelry that my gf doesn't want I gladly sell. How about you? ???
For many years after returning to NYC from LA I accumulated clad coins in coffee cans with the ever present warning from my wife that the money was not earning interest while in the cans in my closet. I also had a nice collection of hundreds of silver coins also not earning interest.

Two things happened that got me on track to earn interest. First was getting a tumbler. Once I did that I found that I had hundreds of dollars which I gladly rolled and cashed at the bank. Second, a local school started having a Sunday flea market and one of the vendors was a coin dealer. He bought my silver coins for hundreds of dollars. The money went into the bank and started earning interest.

Silver Fox

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally hoard things. I did hit a hard time financially when I was left single with sole custody of my children. Unfortunately, I had to sell some of my most valuable finds to make it back then one of which was a Two Piece Script CS Belt Buckle. I really don't miss it that much, but it was nice to be able to show it off. I also did away with a Mexican War era sholder plate and a Snake Buckle and some C.W. buttons through that time to keep me going. Got promoted eventually and from then on I have held on to everything.

I am now in Florida and have taken to water hunting in the surf. I started back last August. My plan is to hoard my rings and jewelry for one year then sell it to Midwest Refineries just to see what one year of finds will net. I would hold onto something extra special but haven't found anything with major stones or value as of yet. One Platinum, lots of gold and some silver so far but they are all bands mostly with just precious metal value. They don't resale very well.

That is my tale on the subject.

DaChief

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
TreasureTales said:
And now your money in the bank is earning 1.2 percent interest and the silver coins are doubleing in value every 3 years. Nice work. ;D
Actually, my brainy, money-wise wife has it invested in CDs earning 5.55! :icon_queen:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would catagorize myself as the lazy hoarder.

I have a large pickle jar just about everything that looks half decent gets tossed into and a coffee can I stash my sliver in. I say lazy because i dont even clean the stuff...I do make sure it's dry however. The siver i wrap in paper towels or whatever and then forget about them.

I like looking at the pickle jar...old locks, pennies out the whazooo, lighters, belt buckles....kinda like those pretty jars of bath beads or marbles to some...me looking at a jar of stuff. It's a great conversation piece.
Al

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you asked................

Wife gets first choice on all jewelry, so far she has the 3 diamond rings I found, the other rings I found if she doesn't wear goes on a heavy chain, and from time to time I wear it.

All clad coins except pennies goes in a huge empty pickled sausage jar. I haven't counted it yet, but the last time I added coins I put $60 dollars worth in that I had just cleaned, (tumbled) and the line of coins hardly moved up in the jar at all. Jar is about 1/4 full. I have a separate jar for all pennies.

I have a jewelry box that holds all gold and silver earrings, chains, and charms, silver coins, and the 5 watches I have found.....

I haven't sold anything at all, I have no reason yet to sell so I will hang on it till I find a need or reason to sell, till then it will join my other collections. I am basically a collector at heart, and have been for most of my life. I have accumulated several different collections.

I have a collection of early ragpaper newspaper wood block prints. (Harper's Weekly, Leslie's Weekly from the early 1800's) Most of the prints are of the American Indian's life. Prints include works by Thomas Nast and Fredrick Remington. Several early maps that show the Oregon trail, and list areas on the map for the various tribes and the Army forts. Several early 1800 books on the American Indian. A large limited edition collection of American Indian prints, including several by Bev Doolittle. A few pieces of early iron age pottery, and a large Indian artifact collection.

One bedroom of our home holds my collections including my Indian artifact collection and takes up most of the room. I have the Indian artifact collection insured for $15,000. I turned down an offer of $2500 for a waterbottle I have that is made from a grizzly bear bladder that was filled with water then covered in clay and allowed to dry. It has a buffalo horn tip for the top, wrapped in leather straps with bird whistle and bone fetishes and was dated at about 450 years old. It was found in a cave in New Mexico with an axe that has a double sided iron bit, and still on the original handle. No way to know for sure, but was told the iron bit most likely was from something a Conquistador brought to the area as they had no access to iron then.

Still to this day I am adding to my artifact collection with items purchased from a hunter in South Central Texas. All of his pieces come with a lifetime guarantee of authenticity. Since he finds them all, he knows they are authentic.

I am a collector at heart, what I don't sell my son will most likely inherit one day........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread