Your best line for getting permisson

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
I am new to this metal detecting thing and have yet to ask anyone for permission to hunt their property. I drive by a house every day that looks to be late 1800's to early 1900s. It looks like a Gold mine! It has a HUGE tree, lots of yard, an old irrigation ditch, an outhouse (probably being used as a shed), and some old clothes line posts to top it off. I REALLY want permission to hunt this house. SO... What is your most successful pitch? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
I think my mom was buried here.....................LOL know wbut really I lost my ring and i was wondering if i could use my MD to try and find it, Please ill be in ur debt (if you a female say grandmothers ring passed down and shed a tear or 2).

SEMPER FI :sunny:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
compliment them on the property and how you had often admired it and ask if perhaps they had lost anything you could look for to help them out and assure them you would make certain to leave the property as beautiful as you found it. If they have lost anything then get a description and get to detecting....hopefully you would find what they lost and perhaps some other things as well.......I am no expert by any means....that is just how I think I might approach it. Good luck!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
UTcoinshootR said:
I am new to this metal detecting thing and have yet to ask anyone for permission to hunt their property. I drive by a house every day that looks to be late 1800's to early 1900s. It looks like a Gold mine! It has a HUGE tree, lots of yard, an old irrigation ditch, an outhouse (probably being used as a shed), and some old clothes line posts to top it off. I REALLY want permission to hunt this house. SO... What is your most successful pitch? Thanks in advance!
First, don't b.s. whoever you speak with, you might regret it later. Second, bring a publication such as LT, W&ET, etc., to show that what you want to do is not some arcane activity. Bring a handful of unclean clad coins and costume jewelry and do mention that you are a coin collector. Don't get heavy on "old" or "silver" or "gold." Let them know you use a probe negating the need to make large plugs (if you don't use a probe and you just cut away, the minute they see you doing so might be when they ask you to stop and leave). Guarantee them that they would have a hard time locating your digging area. Ask them if they want to look at and share your findings. When you're through, let them know you're leaving their property. Show, somehow depending on your demeanor, that you enjoy the hobby and if you can, use references of neighbors, etc. Don't bring a note from your mom! If they say no right off the bat, thank them and leave, don't pursue it. If they allow you while giving you restrictions, listen to them carefully and repeat the restrictions, that shows you are paying attention and are considerate. Don't be over enthusiastic but don't be a wimp either.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
One of our former club members wrote up this procedure, it's helped me before!

Getting Permission the Right Way
By Peter O'Brien

The key to getting permission is to do it right the first time.
One of these days I may dust off my notes and submit an article to a Treasure Hunting magazine on this topic. If I do, the title will be "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression"
First and foremost is that you have to think like the homeowner. Why in God's name would they want to give you permission treasure hunt on their property? Nobody likes strangers coming to their door and hitting them up for donations, selling magazines, permission to hunt, etc. It’s just human nature.
On top of that, people HATE to make snap or legal sounding decisions in writing. For that reason, throw away the permission slips unless you are certain that there are millions of dollars of booty on the property. Waving a permission slip in anyone’s face only sets people on edge. They assume that there must be something of great value or why would this stranger want their signature on a document that they could later use "IN COURT"! An automatic "NO" is coming right up.
Forget phone calls and letters, it is extremely easy to say no to either of these. We all do it every day by throwing away the junk mail, we don't even open it. We also immediately terminate those telemarketing calls we get every night about while sitting down for the evening meal.
Dress neatly, forget cute, political or statement T-shirts. If you're a male, wear a shirt with a collar and remove your hat or baseball cap. Don’t wear sunglasses, cops wear dark shades to hide nervousness and intimidate people, you don't want to do that. Wear your cleanest hunting clothes, not some beat up junk you "save for metal detecting".
Remember you are trying to come across as non-threatening; a hobbyist who does this crazy thing and will not leave holes or disrespect their property.
Above all, KEEP IT SIMPLE, at the permission stage. Identify yourself, SMILE, tell them where you are from, why you do it and that you won't cause any damage to their property. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Don't give them an opportunity or a reason to say NO. If hunting with a partner, the other person should stay in the car until permission is granted. If you are a smoker, don't go to the door with one in your hand or mouth. Don't offer to split finds, or make promises you may not want to keep or honor later.
I always step back at least two paces from door after knocking or ringing the bell. Don't lean into their faces, or peer past them into their homes. Don't enter their homes, unless you are a genuine friend and have visited the place at least three or more times. Sadly in today's society, homeowners can deem all of these actions as casing the place or aggressive actions.
Offer to "show" them anything you find before you leave. The keyword here is SHOW, you determine what you show them, what and how much depends on what you find, and your personal ethics in a given situation. I know of no one that empties their apron on the owners porch and says, "take what you want homeowner, I'll settle for the rest"
Ask if they have lost any items in the yard, and inform them that you'll be glad to keep an eye out for them while you poke around and will be sure to return it to them.
Once you have permission, hunt professionally and courteously, if the kids, the owner or his pit bull come out and want to follow you around decide whether the opportunity is worth the aggravation. If these upset you, don't show any outward signs of it. Simply turn off your machine and complain that your batteries have died or you just remembered a previous engagement. Leave cheerfully; ask if you can come back at another time (like when the little trolls are in school), when you get new batteries, etc. Showing your displeasure or annoyance will not only offend the homeowner but will poison the neighborhood as well. You can be assured that anything you do in any yard will be the topic of discussion for the entire neighborhood.
Don't try to educate or convince them of the validity of your chosen hobby. Save that for a later date, there is nothing more boring than being trapped by a stranger going on and on about something means nothing to you.
If turned down, cheerfully thank them and move on. Don't be a pest and try to convince them to let you hunt, chalk it up to percentages and knock on the neighbor's door. There are about 200 million homes in the US, and at least a 100 million are worth hunting. Don't fret over not getting permission to hunt a particular site. Come back another day if you must.
Always maintain an even composure when recovering targets. Doing cartwheels or calling over your hunting partners to crow about the $20 gold piece or CSA belt buckle you just recovered is a sure way lose the item you found and convince the owner his property has too many valuable items on it to allow strangers to get the goodies. If he thinks that way, you can bet his neighbors will too.
Finally don't overstay your visit, even if you are finding great stuff. Remember it is their yard and they might also want to use it today. If they granted you permission, chances are that they will let you come back again unless you wear out your welcome. Don't hunt into the dark and then tell them there was nothing in the yard. Would you believe someone telling you the same? 2-3 hours is the maximum you should hunt a given site at any given time without encroaching on the homeowner’s space. Do it right and not only will you be welcomed back, but in many cases the homeowner will go to bat for you with the neighbors and friends or even give you leads to other properties in the family which is a big WIN situation since they will do the asking for you!
Good luck, keep it simple and cheerful, it works.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
In addition to the fine posts on asking permission I never say the word "dig". If it comes up in a conversation say "recover". Some people say " If you find a million dollars you have to split it with me" I respond " I usually find nails and pull tabs, I'll give you half of those" I will ask if they have lost anything of value they want me to look for. If so get a description. This way if they can't just take an item from you claiming it's Grandma's ring! When I recover a target I will dig it with my back to the house. This way they don't see me take anything or see that plug flip out on the grass. You know if they have binoculars they are using them... Never sit there and study your find. Just stick the good stuff in your "special secret pocket" Then stick the crap in your pouch. It's good to start out those types of hunts with some crap already in your pouch. Don't forget to put a nasty looking piece of broken glass in there too. This way on your way out you will look like a hero if you show them your making the yard safe for their family. If it's a real nice yard and you see the dirt is falling apart tell them you'll come back after a rain. This way there is now brown spots left by your recoveries. Go by yourself. You don't want a person to feel out numbered. They gave YOU permission. Not you and two of your buddies that jump out of your truck.
Don't tell you hunting buddies that you got permission to hunt that 1898 Victorian mansion on the corner. Either they or someone they tell will be there asking too. This is a sure way for all to get kicked out. See, it's pretty easy.... :icon_scratch:

madmacabre

Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
TreasureTales said:
Having a "pitch" is the wrong approach. I don't want to cajole or lie or pressure people into letting me on their land. I want to be upfront and tell them, "Hello, my name is _____ ________. My hobby is metal detecting and I've been driving down this street on my way to work for a couple years and finally got enough courage to knock on your door. Would you allow me to spend some time metal detecting for relics and other old things on your property? I'll treat your land with the utmost respect and I'll leave it as I found it. If at any time you want me to leave, just say so and I'll leave, no problem." That direct and honest approach has a pretty good success rate. However, my age and gender probably have a lot to do with my success in getting permission. Older people are usually less intimidating than younger people.

Thats pretty much the case , Im 23 and no one wants a kid digging holes in there yard :-\ . Also , it seems some of you guys are pretty conniving with hiding the really good stuff from the OWNER of the property your digging in. Oh well, I would most likely do the same thing..

al-nm

May 8, 2008
new mexico
Detector(s) used
6000xlpro
Not sure of your area but got asked here many a times to come hunt someones place. secret was just take you a treasure magazine. go to the local coffee shop where the old timers hang out. make sure you seat close to them. folks are nosey they are going to see you reading that magazine. before long your talking up a storm. they will tell you stories but its worth listening to gives you ideas on where they played as kids etc on their property. leave them your phone number and name tell them you would love to see what you could find from their past. in this way your including them into your hunting. no biggie to give them a old toy car of a coin or two if you find much. get to ones place to hunt and treat him right he will tell the others over coffee the next day. before long you may be mighty busy swinging that coil. if you have a spare unit take the time to show them how to use it. that keeps them busy so no ones standing over you.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
It's not that I "hide" the good stuff. It's that I put it in a separate pocket...... I'm not there to take home pull tabs and zincs.

OP
OP
UTcoinshootR

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Thanks for the great advice everyone. There are some great ideas and practices posted. Makes me thankful I posted that. GL out there

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do it like this:
"Hello my name is ____ ____ I'm a metal detectorist, and I'm wondering if I may MD your yard"

Then I ask them if they know what it means to be a metal detectorist and what we do etc.

I also tell them that I'm going to take care of all trash I find and ask if they ever lost any rings or other family possessions so that I may return them as soon as I find them.

I also ask how we are going to do with the finds, share or let me keep all or what ever.
Often I can keep all BUT they often want to see what I find first.

I'm the sort of guy who does not talk around but straight on to my question.(they often get shocked ;D)

madmacabre for me I have -YET- to get a no except for a city park.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your with the bomb squad :o

HH
-GC

Marauder Dan

Aug 24, 2005
Last summer while I was detectin a small playground that a lady with her kid kept folling me all over,I finally said Hello and she asked me if I found any real treasure only in a smart ass condescending way to which I replied,,ACTUALLY Im going over this area to take out all the bad stuff I can find that will hurt the kids like knives and bullets from guns and oh yeah "I pulled out a hypodermic needle I save for occasions like this" she looked real long at me and took her kid and off to the car she went!LOL im terrible aint I ??

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
Marauder Dan said:
Last summer while I was detectin a small playground that a lady with her kid kept folling me all over,I finally said Hello and she asked me if I found any real treasure only in a smart ass condescending way to which I replied,,ACTUALLY Im going over this area to take out all the bad stuff I can find that will hurt the kids like knives and bullets from guns and oh yeah "I pulled out a hypodermic needle I save for occasions like this" she looked real long at me and took her kid and off to the car she went!LOL im terrible aint I ??

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
Having a "pitch" is the wrong approach. I don't want to cajole or lie or pressure people into letting me on their land. I want to be upfront and tell them, "Hello, my name is _____ ________. My hobby is metal detecting and I've been driving down this street on my way to work for a couple years and finally got enough courage to knock on your door. Would you allow me to spend some time metal detecting for relics and other old things on your property? I'll treat your land with the utmost respect and I'll leave it as I found it. If at any time you want me to leave, just say so and I'll leave, no problem." That direct and honest approach has a pretty good success rate. However, my age and gender probably have a lot to do with my success in getting permission. Older people are usually less intimidating than younger people.

Exactly right, TT. Most people want it short and sweet. Who you are and what you are after. If they are cordial and open to you request, they will ask questions that will allow you to further explain our hobby. If they are not open to having you on their place, then you haven't wasted too much of YOUR time or THEIR'S. Being polite and saying thank you for their time will go a long way in keeping a good reputation.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UTcoinshootR,

We are in the same part of UT so here is my method when I am getting permission. There is really no secret to it but yes sometimes it takes balls. I have almost never knocked on doors but I usually will ask if I see someone out in the yard. This takes some of the surprise out of the confrontation.

In the past me and my partner will drive around an old part of town and look for people working in their yards. Sometimes someone is in the process of tilling their yard and permission is almost 100% at those places. Sometimes there are people working on fixing up the homes and you can ask the people working there, many times they are also the owners. Once we asked about hunting a yard on Madison in Ogden and the people were flipping houses, they granted us permission for 3 very old homes on the block and I was also given permission to dig the outhouse at one of them. So not only did we get many great coins but we got some bottles also. Another time we saw a yard that was all tilled up and we could tell that they were removing some of the dirt to level it. Well I got so excited that we just pulled over, certain this was the place. When we hopped out we suddenly realized that we were going to be lucky to find a English speaking person. I will tell you that these people turned out to be about the most friendly homeowners. We found lots of stuff in their yard, I even tried to give them some silver dimes and they would not take them.

Give it a shot, and if you gain permission give me a call. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread