I just recieved my first Minelabs for the store ... INITIAL REVIEW

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
I haven't gotten the chance to take one of them into the field yet BUT , I can comment on the form . I like the woven carbon fiber lower shaft . It really makes the detector look like a million bucks . Its also nice that like tesoro they come with coil covers . Another feature i like is how the coil cord doesn't twist around the detector instead it goes right up the shaft(EXP II and Quattro MP) . The detectors are very asthetically pleasing . They have a sports car look to them . NOW on to what I don't like . Now for starters the plug that the coil plugs into on the control box feels floppy . Its not solid in there at all on either the explorer or the quattro . Thats how its supposed to be BUT myself I'd prefer it to be nice and snug . NEXT the buttons on the controller are covered with plastic almost exactly like the Prizm series from whites EXCEPT the whites clear plastic that it uses over the screen doesn't have nearly as much give as the minelab (for over a grand retail they could do better on the Display and buttons) . I myself have never gotten back any prizms or the like that have damaged plastic button skins , BUT one needs only look at gas pumps in your area to see how fast those crack , wear, and peel .

Now last but not least I'd like to close on an up note . The detectors are definetly top of the line for features . After reading the novel that came with the Exp II I've learned ALOT . Also the feel of the detector in your hands is definetly very good . They feel different than any other .VERY EXOTIC ! I've got my unit with me and I am going to give it a try over the next two days and see what it can do .

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Keep us updated! A word about those gas pump skins: They are exposed to the weather 24/7 and have people abusing them all day every day and that contributes to their destruction! I am interested in your further review of the minelab line! HH omnicognic 8)

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
omnicognic said:
Keep us updated! A word about those gas pump skins: They are exposed to the weather 24/7 and have people abusing them all day every day and that contributes to their destruction! I am interested in your further review of the minelab line! HH omnicognic? 8)
I dunno I've seen some Detectors with a bit of use to em . ;D

You are probably right BUT I just like the tactile feel of buttons . Same thing with the screen .

E

Einstein

i think the plastic covered buttons should be more reliable on all machines, i have some splitting on mine already. Some things that should be standard on all machines just seems to escape even the best ones. All detectors should have: forever buttons (tested), volume knob, internal cord in shaft, coil covers, and some form of pinpointing. All of these features together would cost a grand total of about $5-10.. Quite small when considering the price of the detectors.

R

rvbvetter

The clear sheet came off my EXP II in about a month. Dust crept in, and it lost it's adhesion.
No big deal. What do you think of the sound? When collapsing the shaft, you might find you need to pull the cord out the bottom end of the shaft while collapsing. Mine binds up if i don't.
Again, no big deal though. Never have to worry about snagging the cable, because of it being in the shaft. At first mine frustrated the daylights out of me, but after learnig more, at times it just flat amazes me. Will be interested in your findings. HH

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wait till you see the depth and the coverage. Pinpointing can be a real tack though. I have my son pinpointing what he can with a bounty hunter with the 2 inch gold coil. That seems to work and for the other ones he can't reach two spades and a pick.

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
Wild Boulder Bill said:
Garrett email me your information and I'll see if I can't help you out with some sales.
Thanks
Its on its way
;D

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
I highly reccomend a rain/dust cover for you ExII display pod, the temporary plastic sheet will last a month max if your really careful or you just don't use the machine that much. The sunray x-1 probe is another thing to get, it will cut your target recovery time in half or less and being in line it uses that machine tones and depth gauge. The minelab line rocks, I was a till death Whites fan...till I saw what people were pulling from the ground behind me!

You'll be very happy with your new toy!

HH & happy selling!

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
Well I spent the afternoon putting the Explorer II through its paces . I must say that this detector is outstanding in its operation . The tones for it are outstanding and it is extremely easy to discern one target from another just by the sounds . The sound itself is not harsh either . I really enjoy the fact that it does indeed have a volume control as the factory default is way too loud . The unit is well ballanced and doesn't wear on you .

I do have to say that the battery setup is SUB-PAR instead of giving you two battery packs with one for no rechargeable batteries and the other with a simple plug in they give you 8 rechargeable aa batteries and a charger . This was just a very chincey thing to do . Every time you want to charge the batteries you have to take them out of the pod 1 at a time and then load them 1 at a time into the charger . I might also add that the charger setup is CHEAP to the max . It DOES NOT automatically shut off . If you leave your batteries in longer than the recommended time they get fried . I can also say that even charging them just them recommended amount of time got them HOT to the touch . I would imagine this kind of thermal buildup would hurt battery life .However since they just use rechargeable aa batteries you can replace them with other rechargeable batteries of your choosing .

Now about functionality . This is where the unit shines . I myself have never had the pleasure of using a more efficient unit in all my detecting . Its ability to discriminate is UNCANNY . It totally dominated my test garden . I was getting consistent 18 inch reading on my quarter target BUT this is not the biggest feature . My house was built in the last 3 years in a new area so there is NO finds to be found here but there are nails , soda cans (messy weren't they) , zinc knockouts , washers , and other various construction debris . Well to say the least these items run the full spectrum of the discrimination scale . Well Minelab told me that the Exp II could conquer this garbage and zero in on a single target if you just learned it in the advance mode and blocked out the others . I was skeptical to say the least . Well I took a read on a quarter and tossed it over my shoulder . I then scanned the area and reaceived not one single beep till i got to my quarter . Now this is unreal that the detector can do this . I thought i might be able to stack the deck and fool the detector so i picked up the quarter and sat it under a junk soda can i dug up . I swept over slowly and it dinged on the quarter . I then removed the coin and scanned the can by itself and got nothing .

I have to say that this detector is the deepest most accurate detector that I've ever used . The discrimination and identification on it are like no other . :o

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Just Made Me Want one Even More ;D

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
The machine will continue to amaze you everytime you use it, it will on ocassion frustrate the $#!+ out of you too. (once every fifteen to twenty times out).

Check out- http://www.sunraydetector.com/index.html goto the minelab x-1 target button on the menu to the left, they run $180 retail w/upper shaft (w/pre mounted switchbox) I'll never use another all-metal pinpointer again!

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
JW said:
The machine will continue to amaze you everytime you use it, it will on ocassion frustrate the $#!+ out of you too. (once every fifteen to twenty times out).

Check out- http://www.sunraydetector.com/index.html goto the minelab x-1 target button on the menu to the left, they run $180 retail w/upper shaft (w/pre mounted switchbox) I'll never use another all-metal pinpointer again!
That one is ok but I'll stick with my detector pro Pocket Pulse probe . Its the best probe I've ever used and it penetrates 6" . Its around the same price and its pulse induction .? ?8)

*EDIT*
Wow that is really interesting though . It looks as if it mingles in with the detector itself . I have to wonder if this effects the warranty . How very interesting? . I'll have to look into this further . I see they have these probes for nearly every detector . Thanks for the tip .

OP
OP
G

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
Honestly I think minelabs competition must have their whole line in engineering figuring out how to offer some of the same functionality . Competition always breeds a better product .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GarrettDealer said:
*EDIT*
Wow that is really interesting though . It looks as if it mingles in with the detector itself . I have to wonder if this effects the warranty . How very interesting? . I'll have to look into this further . I see they have these probes for nearly every detector . Thanks for the tip .

I have the S-1 on my Sovereign. all it does is operate thru the Detectors Circutry.
NO SPLICING WIRES.

And you'v got a 1" wide, Discriminating Detector, everytime you need it.

Can't Live without it any more.

And great Depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions