JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, This might be nuts but it intrigues me, has anyone ever thought to put their md coil on a long shaft with a long cable, maybe 6 feet or longer (with the electronics detached from the shaft and in a dry spot) in order to detect off the back of a boat or canoe in deeper water than one can stand in? And devise some sort of long handle recovery tool, maybe even rig up an underwater web cam to watch from above...(Obviously I have been watching too much Discovery Channel). No ocean beach nearby but lots of creeks that have old pioneer settlements and grist mill sites. The creeks have very steep banks and are too deep to wade...You never know, right? Or is this just a bunch'a prairie sh*t.

Last edited:

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you, perhaps, related to Rube Goldberg? ;)

I just use my Beach Hunter ID and scuba.

OP
OP
JunkShopFiddler

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, I didn't know who Rube Goldberg was, but when I did an image search I almost lost it...made your comment freakin' hilarious. Haven't laughed that hard in quite a while!!! Obviously, I am not set up for underwater detecting but I do a lot of paddling. If I come up with a contraption that works I will post it on this forum with the title Rube Goldberg Underwater Recovery System! :fish:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Nice idea but actually gathering up your find would be very tough JunkShopFiddler.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Remember, the horse was replaced by a crazy contraption! ;)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well never tried that but ah if u do it please send some pics id like to c the outcome thanks

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a Garrett Master Hunter BFO back around 1970-71. One of the optional coils I bought for it was a 12" weighted coil with a 30 foot or so cable and a rope attached to it. The idea was like yours, one person would dangle it from a dock or rope and listen to the machine which was above water. A buddy and myself tried this at a lake and we couldn't scoop up much from the bottom while on the dock in about 6-8' of water. We couldn't really see where the coil was too well from the surface. We then tried to have one guy down with a mask trying to find things with the guy on the surface tugging the rope when the machine made a signal. Couldn't stay down long enough without scuba or a hookah rig to make this work either. I think if you want to hunt in water you will just have to get a water specific detector and all the diving gear necessary to use it. There are a lot of wheels out there, and very few actually need re-inventing.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
gunsil

I forgot about that coil which I think was designed for water wells. I had the Master Hunter too with
2 dual coils and the extra large cache coil.

betomax

Greenie
Nov 8, 2011
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab E Trac, Garret 250 + 2 Coils And Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it may work, not crazy idea, but be careful selecting correct cables (awg)

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That seems awfully hard, I assume you've never water hunted, it's hard enough to put goggles on with a pinpointer a recover a target in waist or shoulder deep water! Cool idea though, buy goggles a snorkel and an atpro or ctx, and just swim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread