jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--------FIRST MOD AT OWN RISK, DON'T POST ABOUT SCREWING UP YOUR WARRANTY, THIS IS FOR PEOPLE THAT DON'T CARE ABOUT WARRANTY,REPEAT--------"DON'T CARE"--------

(I have hunted for this information for a good while, this is what I have found)

LINK: http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/tesoro/tesoro_config.pl?read=50289

Adding manual ground balance to the Golden µMax isn't hard. It requires a 50 K potentiometer, preferably 10 turn, and anyone who is really good using a soldering iron can do it. All you have to do is desolder the 3 trimmer pot legs from the board and solder wires in their place long enough to reach the 50 K pot you're putting in. Finding a place to mount the new pot is probably the hardest part. When you take the face plate loose and pull it up the ground balance trimmer is in the middle of the board, it's the one inside the red circle in the pic below. The other blue trimmer pot lower to the right adjusts the tonal range up and down the disc scale and affects the notch settings. I can't see well enough, and my hands are too arthritic, to do it any more so now when I want something like that done I get the electronic technicians at the place I work to do it, Getting old sucks :(. Joe Bolton, who I believe posts here as TXJB, and Paul Palomo who posts on other forums as Paul(CA)and Old California, both were adding manual ground balance to some Tesoro's for a reasonable price so if you don't think you can do it maybe you can get one of them to do it for you.

Attachments

• golden mod.jpg
    golden mod.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6,704

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That about sums it up! Finding the right microminiature potentiometer and someone with the proper micro-miniature tools will be your hardest challenge on this mod. Make no mistake: I AM a trained electronics repair person (thank you US NAVY and NASA) and this mod requires a deft touch and the right tools.
There is not much room inside the Golden uMax case - make that NONE. Dont attempt it without a good plan of action...

But, once you have gotten the right part and have work part of it arranged, the work is simple enough. I have a Golden and have NOT messed with it, but I have taken it apart and can vouch for everything said here. Spend some time and money to get the mod done right and it should be a winner.

What I'd like to see is how anyone has waterproofed a uMax model for wading. Anybody got pics of THAT mod?

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Once you take the trimmer pot off, where exactly do you solder the wires? Do you solder them onto where the three trimmer pot legs were?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread